The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
ladypenny1972

I'm NOT depressed :)

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

ladypenny1972

Well I had my consultation with a counsellor and guess what . . depsite my old GP telling me I need to get a grip cos I am very depressed, she said I'm NOT, infact she thinks I am very down to earth and in control of my emotions lol

I mentioned to her that my new GP was looking for a dx and suggested FM, she found this amusing and said it the posh way of saying 'we dont know whats wrong' haha she told me to dig my heels in all the way and I knew my body better than anyone so not to let them stick me in yet another box.

it feels great to know I'm defo not mad haha well maybe a little strange but not mad :)

x

x

x

***My life is NOT like a box of chocolates . . . My life IS a coffee cream ***

eliza

You have to keep at them, and try not to lose your temper with the health professionals or they will have an excuse to tell you you are neurotic or an hypochondriac, or oversensitive.

My gp before diagnosis put meon antidepressents. I told her I was not depressed. I know your not but these may calm your symptoms down. She also said, You cant get MS symptoms on boths sides of your body at the same time. I tried her antidepressents as I was a bit desperate to get rid of the weird feelings. Well I came off them after 3-4 months she told me I had not tried them long enough. i told her they did not work on getting rid of the weird feelings just made me feel sick and constipated.

Well 2 years later, I saw her in the street and she came up to me and apologised. Not really good enough. I just hope I was a learning curve for her. Her set ideas of what MS is. :hearts_circle:

I do hope whatever you have sorts itself out - somethings do. also I do hope you did not go to see the GP in that pink tutu.

Edited by eliza

ladypenny1972

hahahaha nope the tutu is my pride and joy haha, that was taken 2 years ago when I did the race for life, cant believe how difo my body is now, cant walk to the shops never mind run lol :)

jeni

Hi LadyPenny,

Glad to hear that you have it confirmed by the medical body that you are not depressed.

Now at least they are begining to agree with you, and something that you have known all along.

And when you think about it, why should you not be depressed when you are going through such rotten symptoms?

Take Care.

Love Jeni xx

Hezza

Glad to hear that you had a good appointment LadyPenny. Does the counsellor provide any feedback to your GP or could she if asked? Just wondering if it may help.

On the subject of anti-depressants there is one, amitryptline, which is often used in lower doses as a treatment for neuropathic pain. I mention it only because I know of people who have been prescribed it and then thought that their GP hasn't been listening / doesn't believe them / thinks they are depressed when they get it home and read on the packet that it's an anti-depressant.

:hearts_circle:

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

debzsanderson

Mark takes 20mg a night of amitryptaline and it has really helps him relax and have a much better nights sleep. Apparently it only has any real antidepressant value when you get to 100 mg.

debz xx

Mark has PP MS but I am his partner and do the posts as he cant use the computer!!

lisalisa

Hi there

Its so annoying when Doctors try and label you depressed just because they dont know whats wrong. I would sooner they be honest and say i dont know whats wrong.

I think you should go and see your GP in that pink TuTu, its fab.

Lisa xx

Dianni

Hi Penny

I love the tu-tu too and well done you for doing the race :hearts_circle:

I have sertraline in low dose to ease neuropathic pain. I was originally prescribed it because I was depressed but in a much higher dose. I asked my GP about coming off it all together but he recommended I stick to the low dose as it's working on hte neuro pain so I agreed.

I might be tempted to think about asking your counsellor for a letter to your GP. She doesn't need to break any confidences or discuss the ins and outs of your appt, simply say that she has assessed your mental wellbeing and in her professional opinion you demonstrate no symptoms of clinical or periodic depression.

Hope your GP sits up and takes note now!

Higs

Di

xxx

miss daisy

hi ladypenny

glad you feel you are not crazy or depressed.i have been there and felt that way, down the councellor route, i have also tried amitrypiline, unfortunately it did not bode well with, but everyone is different.

"I mentioned to her that my new GP was looking for a dx and suggested FM, she found this amusing and said it the posh way of saying 'we dont know whats wrong' haha"

i may have took the above line out of context but just a little note re: FM, if by this term you mean fibromylgia, it is a very old school thought pattern amongst some professionals of its a box of they don't know whats wrong with you, as i am dx with fibromylgia and cfs, i can say after much research and resistance in my own thought pattern, it is a recognised condition which can be found on the nhs website and can sometimes be very delibitating, many of its characterists are similiar to that of ms, although not progressive, the tingling/numbeness/severe pain ect is very real, and not ha ha.

take care x

ladypenny1972

Miss Daisy those are the counsellors words not mine lol, I was only told on Monday that this FM may be the problem so I havent really had enough time to get my head round what it is yet, so any advice you can give would be great.

xx

x

x

happyandy

If Neuro's think that there is nothing wrong with you but are convinced that you have the symptoms that you claim then they would tell you you had a "Functional Diagnosis". Its because people often want a label on their symptoms.

However I thought fibromylgia was a recognised condition, not too pleasant I understand.

Andy

Edited by happyandy

If I knew I was going to live so long I would have taken better care of my body

ladypenny1972

no one (other than my old GP) is saying there is nothing wrong, my new GP agrees I have genuine symptoms and is doing all he can to find a dx, I have been back to pshyo today and he is also confused lol my muscle in my legs (worse on left) is as if I have broken my legs and have been in cast for the last year, which I havent lol, the muscle in my left is almost past repair and he is very concerned that it may be to late to fix :)