The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
PaulX

New Forum

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Lurking
PaulX

I must have drifted off, I didn't realise there was going to be a re-vamped forum.

Initial thoughts are it looks a bit new Google in its starkness, which I like, though I do find that the individual topics don't leap out at you like they used to. It is probably just a matter of getting used to it.

I have always thought there is too much pinned stuff at the beginning of each area, requiring a bit of scroll wheel action to find the new stuff.

All in all a thumbs up.

• Like 1

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,

Running over the same old ground.

What have we found?

The same old fears.

Sluggish
Marina

Yep, you must've drifted off :winkgrin: There was an "announcement" at the top of the old forum, and emails were sent out to all members who allow "admin" emails.

I prefer the "starkness" too, as I think it makes it less "busy" and maybe easier to read. It does seem to be the current "fashion" on the net at the moment.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by individual topics not leaping out at you like before? There's no difference in that sense that I can think of?

Re pinned stuff, you're absolutely right and it's part and parcel of the list of things I've still to do :flowerface:

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Lurking
PaulX

I think it is just the sheer whiteness and my rubbish eye sight that makes the topics slightly harder to pick out and I do mean slightly. We are probably in the realms of nit picking here.

What have we found?

The same old fears.

Sluggish
Marina

No, not nit picking at all, Paul. These sort of things might be issues to other MSers. If so, I might be able to make it a bit less white, or make the text a bit blacker, if it makes it easier for the majority to see. At the same time, the appearance of this new version is so very different that it may seem a bit like a shock at first :hippy:

One of the reasons I didn't upgrade to the very newest version (only out a couple of weeks or so) was that it has a number of things that I felt were not "disabled friendly", like all sorts of bits that are either invisible or barely visible till one hovers over them. They're rather irritating too, as they sort of "flash" at you when scrolling if your mouse happens to be over them, or makes it difficult for those of us with shaky hands. There was one bit like that here, which I was able to remove and which wasn't really necessary anyway.

Marina

Sluggish
Marina

For those who might find the white background too white for them, I could make a 2nd "skin" for you with, say, a soft silver background colour instead. I can't guarantee that this would replace the white in all current areas that are white, but it would replace the white in topics and forum index pages.

You'd then be able to choose the "skin" (theme) you prefer from the drop-down menu on the left of every page at the bottom where it currently says "MS People". It might take me a little while though to do.

Marina

Lurking
PaulX

I was checking out the list of new features and I picked up on that the new forum is mobile friendly.

I must say I am well impressed. It seems to work well.

It is a big winner for this forum in my mind.

Paul.

PS Needless to say this came via my smart phone.

• Like 3

What have we found?

The same old fears.