The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Willow

Chat

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Willow

I haven't seen one on here, but I know I would like to at some point be able to chat with you all. Maybe someone could figure out if a chat room could be set up xx

Sluggish
Marina

I fear the moderators and myself might not have the time or energy to look after a chat room too...! :sorry::hippy:

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Hezza

Hi Willow,

I'm afraid that I agree with Marina's view that it may not be possible within the forum. I'll confess that I used to use MSN messager a lot to stay in contact with my friends but rarely do so now as when I am at the computer I need all my concentration for what I am meant to be doing - usually work - and find the distraction too much to cope with.

I guess one option if members wanted to speak online and used another chat programme e.g. MSN messager or Facebook chat could be to swap details via personal message or email and make contact that way.

:heartraining:

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

druidsam

try here clicky.. its free and anyone can create a chatroom and control who goes into it. just arrange a time when everyone can be there and bobs your uncle

we used it for our motorbike forum when our own chatroom broke

Edited by druidsam

druidsam.gif

Lurking
PaulX

Perhaps the request was really more for a chat facility rather then a chat room as such.

When you see the numbers on line at anyone time, a chat room is probably not going to be that well used. I personally have never used one, though I do use chat in FB and Hotmail quite a bit.

PM's work pretty well, if you accept that they is often going to be a time delay between replies.

Chatting outside of the forum might be a bit more problematic, you need to all be on the same system and then all "friends" or what ever. I know on FB I don't have MS, not that I have said anyway, so that might potentially lead to some awkward questions from others.

They are my thoughts, for what it's worth.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,

Running over the same old ground.

What have we found?

The same old fears.

foxy

I think that some kind of chat facility would be great! what about if we create a facebook account

and then all become freinds and then we would have use of the chat and messages.

Just a thought folkes :headscratch:

Sluggish
Marina

I'm afraid I would also not have the energy to run a Facebook account or group or page for MSers (there are already quite a few of them as it is)...

Please, if anybody else starts up some form of chat or FB account I would respectfully request that it not be named "MS People" or "MS People UK" as those names belong to the MS Trust's mailing list at YahooGroups as well as to me with this site. Thanks :thanx:

Marina

Sluggish
Marina

Reading Paul's post above, there's another aspect to FB - most people use their real names on FB which they don't necessarily do here on the forum. For some people privacy is an issue and for that reason some people might wish to preserve the anonymity the forum gives them. On the other hand, if they're happy to display their real names on FB, then nobody will know who's who as you all know each other by your forum names here unless you message each other to say who you are. Or, if you openly choose to say on FB that you're known on the forum as XXX, then you're maybe giving away who you really are on the forum to everyone to whom you make your FB account visible to (unless it's a closed FB group which approves users first).

Maybe some of you might prefer to PM your forum friends and ask if it'd be OK to be a FB friend so that you can use the FB chat, except that not everybody is on FB or, if they are, maybe they don't use it much or don't like using chat (like me for instance, I hardly use FB and have chat turned off). Using FB is maybe a tricky one? :flowerface:

Paul's also right about chat room vs facility. For example, if I were (to have the energy) to have IPB's chat room added to the forum, there are 3 versions of it: one which only allows 5 people at a time, one which allows 20 people at a time at an additional cost, and another which allows a lot more but which is wildly expensive. As Paul also said, a chat room would mean people having to be online at the same time.

Apart from that, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas at the moment... if I should think of something possibly feasible, I'll let you know!

Marina

druidsam

Paul's also right about chat room vs facility. For example, if I were (to have the energy) to have IPB's chat room added to the forum, there are 3 versions of it: one which only allows 5 people at a time, one which allows 20 people at a time at an additional cost, and another which allows a lot more but which is wildly expensive. As Paul also said, a chat room would mean people having to be online at the same time.

Apart from that, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas at the moment... if I should think of something possibly feasible, I'll let you know!

thats what we have on our motorbike forum and to be honest it doesn't get used enough to justify the cost of it

personally i cant type fast enough for chatroom thingy's so usually stay away from them, but being admin on the bike form means i have to try and keep the population under control so have to go into the chatromm from time to time lol

druidsam.gif