The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
pigeon64

Surprise letter

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

pigeon64

When I saw the neuro he glanced over my symptom list for about a minute(I know they do not have much time per patient), and then he asked me could he keep it, so I said yes, I had another copy. And I thought no more of it. Anyway after having the NCS the next letter I was expecting was a new appointment. Imagine my surprise when the letter I got today was to let me know they could now offer me a neuroradiology appointment. The neuro never even mentioned MRIs at the appointment I had with him. So I am wondering if it was ordered after he had time to look at my list. Anyway I rang and I have MRI brain and spine on Saturday 25th August at 3pm. I have had MRIon brain before(which I was told no significant changes, whatever that means lol), but I am a bit nervous about the spine one and lying for so long as my lower back becomes very painful after about 5 minutes of lying flat. I can appreciate how much dx members on here have been through, but just wondered if you had any little gems of advice for me going into this.

:you-rock: sorry to go on xxxxx

Procrastinating
Stumbler

He should have told you, but, he's just getting hold of all the pieces of the jigsaw, before he decides what the picture is.

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Jelly

Hi pigeon,

ask to have a pillow under your knees during the MRI. That should help a bit.

It does look like they are now thinking about your symptoms and working through various tests to finally reach a conclusion. That is good news.

pigeon64

Stumbler & Jelly :kisslips:

Thankyou so much for responded. Everytime I want to post I worry I might be annoying the members. But the simple fact is I feel I can ask a question, or discuss something, and not actually feel stupid about doing it when on here. I should have joined sooner. I was expecting everything to take time but it seems things are happening so fast it is wearing me out, literally. I opted for the Saturday as the times they offered during the week days meant either a.m, no bus from here early enough, or p.m, missing the last bus home and being stuck in Liverpool. But I do understand theie time scales as they have to cater for their ward patients and emergencies before out-patients. Anyway, thanks again

:cheerleader:

Procrastinating
Stumbler

There's no such things as a silly question. That's what this forum is all about. Like-minded people helping like-manded people.

And, if you are offered earplugs at the MRI, I would say yes please.

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Larisa

Similar repiles to above. Ask for pillow under knees this will take the pressure off your spine. I took my I pod in which made the time pass quicker and blocks all those weird sounds. :fairy:

pigeon64

Stumbler, lol, I am going to make a point of asking for ear plugs, and as I said before it is the wonderful members on here that made me push on:kisslips:

Larisa, thankyou so much for responding. I will ask for a pillow too :kisslips:

LynnWilliams

If you are having lumbar puncture only advice I can give you is Relax do not tense up. Mri is noisy ask for ear plugs/headphones, i was not offered, ;) good luck hopefully on your way to a DX

Hezza

Everytime I want to post I worry I might be annoying the members.

If no one posted the forum wouldn't exist, Pigeon, so please don't worry about that.

There's not much more I can add to the other responses. As well as asking for a pillow for underneath your legs tell the radiologist why you need it as he / she may be able to make some other adjustments or suggestions to keep you more comfortable as well.

The other main difference with having your spine scanned too is that you may be put further into the scanner than you were previously. When I had only my brain scanned they left the rest of my body outside the scanner tube. For spinal I was much further in.

:heartraining:

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Bigbird

Pigeon

Ask if you can lie on your tummy if that's better. As a former radiographer I can't see why this isn't possible. Ok so the images will be reversed but ts not beyond the wit of docs to figure that out and anyway it will be recorded.

Otherwise it's a pillow under the knees. I always request one when I have to lie on my back. They want you to be comfy so you'll be still during the scan.

Good luck.

BB x

Life's too short to be subtle

Jelly

Hi pigeon,

I have had at least 5 MRI scans - mostly of my spine.

I always take a CD of peaceful music with me, and on several occassions they have been able to play it through the headphones that they give. During one of the scans, I could hardly hear the music because the MRI machine was so noisy. I could just about make out that there was music playing.

My longest scan was for the whole of my spine. I was very glad to be able to get out and move about after that.

If you are claustrophobic they can give you something to help you to relax. I just kept telling myself that there was an opening at either end and that the opening at my head end wasn't far away.

Good luck, and please do tell us how you get on.

:hearts_circle:

pigeon64

Thankyou to all so far. All advice taken on board. I am not having a LP, has not been mentioned so far. Going to put my feet up for a while :cheerleader:

Roxy1511

A pillow under my knees always helps me with MRI's but i have had so many now that i'm used to the noise and usually end up falling asleep L :spin:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Letter to your local MPs

Hi everyone   I do not know whether any of you have received the following request from the MS Society. Just in case you have not, I am posting this email I have received to ask you to contact your MP to try to make a difference.   Great Dane x   Off-patent Drugs Right now, researchers are investigating whether drugs that exist to treat other conditions can also be used to treat MS. These are drugs like Simvastatin, a drug normally used to treat high cholesterol. Research shows this drug has the potential to slow the worsening of disability in secondary progressive MS. If further research confirms this, we’d want this drug to be made available on the NHS, but there are currently significant barriers that would prevent this. You can read more about the process onour blog. How can we change this? An MP, Nick Thomas-Symonds, has introduced a Bill in Westminster to tackle this problem and improve access to low-cost treatments for a range of conditions including multiple sclerosis. Take action To ensure the Bill is successful, we need at least 100 MPs to go along and vote for it on Friday 6 November. And we need you to contact your MP and encourage them to back the Bill. The vote is on a Friday, when most MPs return to their local constituencies, which makes it more difficult to convince them to be in Westminster. Your email could make all the difference – please email them today. We are supporting this Bill to ensure people with MS have access to the right treatments at the right time. Please ask your MP to do the same.   Thank you for your support,   Emma MS Society Campaigns Team

in General Discussion about MS

• Neurologist Letter

I received the neurologists letter earlier this week.   He clearly listened and understood me very well and relays that in the letter.   He says that I fulfil all the criteria for CFS. He says he is unsure if the pain etc would fall within the spectrum of Fibromyalgia but in view of the severity he would like me to be referred to rheumatologist to exclude a significant rheumatological condition.   He said there were inconsistent distal sensory changes to pinprick and temperature.   He says in view of the patchy, unilateral nature of the neurological symptoms he is referring me for an MRI of the brain.   He's recommending I try Duloxetine?   Any comments appreciated.   Generally though, I feel that at least I am being taken seriously and they are covering all areas.

• A Letter From MS

I couldn't sleep at all night before last. This was swimming around in my head. I decided it needed to be written down. Someone told me you could help me get it out to the world. I can email the file if requested. Thank you!   Hi there,   Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Multiple Sclerosis. I heard you're not afraid of me and not much of a believer in what I do. I was not happy to hear this. I thought a personal note from me would help you want to be my friend. Please try real hard to use your imagination now. It's going to be fun!   I'm going to need some tools to start this off. Let's start with my favourite baseball bat. Make sure we have the metal one now. We don't want it to break. Now stand still. I'm about to hit you in the ribs several times with all my might. What's that? A tear? Now stop it. We just got started. Way too early for that.   Okay. Now that we had a proper introduction, I'm going to take these ten bricks and place them on just one leg. I'll choose. Oh yes

in A Survivor's Guide to Multiple Sclerosis

• Neuro letter

I just got a letter from the neurologist regarding the MRI I had recently. It says "your scan shows relatively minor change since the last one although I think there is a new enhancing lesion so we could potentially proceed with Tysabri. We can discuss this further when you return to clinic" I do really appreciate him taking the time to write so that I'm not wondering about the results until the appt on 23rd, but now my head is spinning with it, I am over analysing the letter big time I think.   What does he mean 'relatively minor change' - does this mean it's less than expected with the symptoms I present? How can he 'think' there is a new enhancing lesion, surely there either is or isn't? What does potentially being able to proceed with Tysabri mean? Can I or can't it?!   I am trying to see it as a good thing - not too many lesions but just enough to be eligble for Tysabri. But at the same time I'm feeling a bit like well were all these 'relapses' really relapses or am I just making a big fuss over nothing? I guess in 1.5years some could have healed and not be showing?   Sorry for a bit of a nothing-y post, I'm in a weird place at the moment (the kind of place where I burst in to tears in Sainsburys for no apparent reason) and I can't get hold of anyone to talk to about this 'in real life' so just needed to vent really.

• Neuro letter

I've just received a copy of a letter from the Neuro to my GP, in which she outlines the initial appointment I had with her, the tests she's ordered (which I've now had) and a description of my symptoms.   A few things stood out. The first being that the Neuro states that if the MRI shows evidence of demyelination she would arrange a lumbar puncture; I was informed that that would not be necessary. I suppose this would only go ahead if it wasn't absolutely conclusively MS. If the scan is normal she will then arrange EMG nerve conduction tests to check for peripheral damage.   The neurological findings appear to be quite normal from what I can gather, apart from my left pupil being larger and sluggish in response to light, a tremor in my left outstretched hand and she states that abdominal cutaneous reflexes were absent. I've had a look on the internet to see what that signifies, but I'm a bit baffled by it. I know when she was pricking my stomach and apologizing that it wouldn't be pleasant, I couldn't feel a thing. Is it therefore abnormal to have these reflexes absent, or not?   So, I'm now just waiting to see what the scan and VEPs showed, so I can know what happens next. It'll either be lumbar puncture, EMGs or a diagnosis. I'm spinning a big 3 sided metaphorical coin now - wonder which way it lands!!    

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.