The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
rhodesia

MS statistics on different types

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

rhodesia

Finding it hard to find statistics on the different types of MS, need to do a graph for a graded unit but all information l find differs. Thought maybe if l asked a couple of questions here & received feedback l could do my own statistics.

My brother has Progressive Relapsing MS and has unfortunately had five relapses in the last yr hence my interest in the subject.He has had trouble with his work who do not understand what MS is - wanted gaurantee he would not have another relapse.

Q1) What type of MS do you have?

Q2) Is stress a factor in relapses - Yes/No?

Q3) Does your work understand your illness - Yes/No?

Many thanks

Sleepy
Scully

Hello,

Not sure I've heard of Progressive Relapsing? Briefly, the main MS titles are.

Relapsing Remitting MS - where rhe main MS symptoms come and go. The most common

Secondary Progressice MS - which can follow RRMS - starts off as RRMS then rhe recovery from the relapses is not so good, leaving the sufferer with many symptoms that get progressively worse.

Primary Progressice MS where the symptoms start, usually later in life - the symptoms do not go, there are no remissions and the MS gets progressively worse over a short or longer period of time.

I have Primary Progressive which started when I was 50 ( I don't have relapse of remission, just a steady worsening of MS

Stress most certainly worsens my symptoms

I no longer work as it became impossible for me.

I would add that some employers take great care to understand rhe illness and try to make reasonable adjustments as the law dictates they should do. Unfortunately MS is not well understood by people that don't have it. It is normally that lack of understanding that causes problems in he work place.

This last of understanding is made more complex because everyone with MS, no matter what type, experience vary different degrees of symptoms. Some seem to be pretty OK for long periods of time, some are I'll most of the time, some suffer from eye problems, some do not, some suffer pain but some do not, some have mobility problems and some do not......so you see, no two people with MS display the same picture, so it's no wonder employers and non MS suffered do not understand how it affects an individual.

The following link from the MS Trust may help you understand. http://www.mstrust.org.uk/information/aboutms/types.jsp

Hope this helps

Scully

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

davslav

I wandered myself about it.Diagnosed with mild form of MS 11 years ago,,never had a relaps,,just a slow worstening to the wheelchair 4years ago.

Outlived my Neuro who was honest and said that I know more about MS than him after his involvement over last 50years.

He said "we know a lot,, but have nothing to cure it ""we manage it " ,,,,,but what I see,, it all ands up same.

Sorry I feel afoul today.

Davslav

Bigbird

rhodesia

I'd use the stats from the MS society as they deal with the UK.

The jury is out on stress. Some research has recently been done, I think it was posted on here, which says it probably doesn't despite anecdotal evidence. In the general population stress affects people differently so it's likely that we are the same.

BB x

Life's too short to be subtle