• Create Account

The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice & information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions & share experiences with people affected by MS.

Having A Positive Attitude With MS

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

priyal1

priyal1

Fledgling

• Newbies
  • 2 posts
    Member: 2584

Current mood: None chosen
I suffer from MS and was diagnosed at 14. I am currently 20 and I found that every video related to MS is patronising. I have created a short documentary on the condition and how having a positive attitude helps. The documentary can be found here

http://youtu.be/f6zv8uzbH7o

Please share and give feedback.

cazza

cazza

A Christmas Carole

• Members
  • 355 posts
    Member: 1800
  • Zodiac:

Current mood: Sad
WOW, I have watched this video twice now and am really impressed by it.
How refreshing to hear REAL people talking about how it is, no doctor speak, no patronising phrases just genuine understanding and feelings.
This is the sort of video that should be shown to EVERYONE, ms or not, and i think the medical profession could learn one hell of a lot from it.

Well done for a brilliant piece of work.

Cazza x

Nick

Nick

Roller Coaster

• Members
  • 1,472 posts
    Member: 1815

Current mood: Thinking
Very nice to see something 'sensible' also very professionally done.  Brilliant

Nick

priyal1

priyal1

Fledgling

• Newbies
  • 2 posts
    Member: 2584

Thank you all for your comments, it means a lot knowing that the video was impactful in what I wanted to portray about MS

Crafty Cow

Crafty Cow

Totally obsessive MUSE fan

• Members
  • 440 posts
    Member: 2502
  • Zodiac:

Current mood: In Pain
Excellent! As Cazza said, it's good to hear other people's feelings and experiences.

Life would be so much easier if people were aware of what ms is. Even though mine is not yet officially dx, I was subject yesterday to the 'well you look ok!' Attitude. Yesterday I did, yesterday was a good day, today isn't....such is life.

Hopefully in time more people will see this and develop some understanding of it whether they have ms or not.

Well done to you!

Sam x

Tabbycat

Tabbycat

tabbycat

• Members
  • 29 posts
    Member: 2792
  • Zodiac:

Current mood: Procrastinating
This is excellent , no reaching for the moon American style Disney nonsesense , but honest and powerful. I hope you make more films like this , there is a real need for MSers to see people still working and being honest about there condition. Have you thought about making training films for employers, to encourage them to keep their staff with MS?  There is a crying need for a generic film that newly diagnosed people could show their employers, so that MSers would not have to hide their condition for fear of losing their jobs. Think about it - You have the skill to do it!

Nick

Nick

Roller Coaster

• Members
  • 1,472 posts
    Member: 1815

Current mood: Thinking
Over the weekend I atteneded an annual function for a Charity of which I am a trustee (Nothing whatever to do with MS or disability issues)  A friend asked how I was and a lady sitting next to me, who hadn't a clue who I was, said, rather patronisingly 'Oh don't worry I'l look after him'  .............It seems social stereotyping is rather deeply embedded in our society.  Tabbycat, you have a point.............BUT turn it around, think rather, that it is us who have to change the image and make sure, when we are able, to always challenge mistaken preconceptions.  Part of the process of accepting something like MS is that you need to become comfortable with, and be able to put people straight.  WE have the skill to do it!

Nick

tracy

tracy

Fledgling

• Newbies
  • 1 posts
    Member: 3027

Fascinating video. Very informative about how it really feels to have MS. Will show it to my sons (aged 13 and 17) who seem to think mum is OK but lazy :)

Great Dane

Great Dane

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 158 posts
    Member: 2372
  • Zodiac:

Current mood: Tired
Just brilliant!  I agree with the comments made by the others - I think everyone can learn something from watching this documentary.  

Thank you Prijal!

Happy New Year

Great Dane