The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
jayjill

Can't access profile and more on Android

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

jayjill

Hi Marina, I've realised that there are functions I can't see/access e.g. my profile and the character icons. Perhaps this is normal when using a mobile android (Samsung)? I don't know if javascript is installed or if that is just for laptopa. There is no bar either with options. I just see the forum options so am a bit confused :-X can you help please! Jill

Sluggish
Marina

I hope you won't mind, Jill, but I've split your topic into one of its own as it wasn't related to the one you replied to :flowerface:

When using a mobile, Android included, the "skin" (aka "theme" or "template") should automatically switch to a "mobile" skin which makes it easier to read on small screens as it simplifies the entire layout. Unfortunately, it also removes access to your profile and smilies etc as well as to other features such as Blogs, Resources, Quotes, etc. The only options as such are in a square box in the top right corner.

If you want the full version of the forum, scroll right down to the bottom of the screen and click on a faint button that says "Full Version". This will switch you to the full appearance of the forum, with all its bells and whistles. If you decide you want to return to the mobile skin, click on "Change theme" at the bottom left of any page and choose "IP.Board Mobile".

Or, you can try an app called Tapatalk, which they've just made free from paid and which gives a few more options but still isn't the full thing - except they've also just upgraded it and changed it so much that people are complaining left, right and centre...

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

jayjill

Thanks for that, Marina - I'm now beginning to get the hang of things! (like everything, it's easy when you know how...but things keep onchanging so fast now with all these new apps - think I'll wait for Tapatalk to settle down a bit before I try it) Thanks again for explaiing things. :-) Jill

Lurking
PaulX

I have stuck with the older version of TapaTalk, which I paid for. It is pretty good but I would only use it for viewing and not for actually creating, that would be too painful on a phone or even a tablet.

If you are using Chrome on Android, you should have the option to request the full site.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,

Running over the same old ground.

What have we found?

The same old fears.

Sluggish
Marina

Tapatalk... has recently become a bit confusing with its various apps and changes to them, now 3 of them - at least with iOS as I wouldn't know for Android as I don't have it. For iPhones or iPads, there are now 2 versions. The old version has now become free and will shortly include ads etc (banner ads, app installs, and “Promoted Topics” [similar to Facebook’s Sponsored Stories]), whilst the paid version is now a bit like the old version was before it became free :stars: . Then there's also an iPad-only version ("HD" version for the bigger screen).

With iDevices, there are various browser apps, like iCab Mobile (now my personal favourite, for its features), Atomic Web and Mercury, where you can set the "user agent" to be Firefox, Safari Desktop, IE, etc, so that it shows websites just like on a desktop and not any mobile version. The only problem with any of them is that the editor might not work quite like on a desktop, eg: difficult to insert smilies or format text. Uploading and attaching images is, oddly, only possible in Tapatalk (or was, unless they changed it in their newer versions). See also: http://ms-people.com/forum/topic/16322-ipad-and-the-editor/

There will be a major upgrade to the forum software sometime next year. With that upgrade will come a whole new skin (or "template", call it what you will) which will be a "responsive" one, which means it will be viewable on any device with any screen size - it "responds" to the screen size. So the old "mobile" skin will go. The advantage will be that everything will be viewable on mobiles, and not limited like it is now with the "mobile" skin, with an easier-to-see layout for mobiles.

• Like 1

Marina

Lurking
PaulX

Personally I wouldn't buy Tapatalk again. It works ok for me, but to be honest, on a 7" Android tablet I get the full site and it is fairly usable. i don't access the site from my phone. I tend to do different thing depending on what decide I am using.

Sometimes I am sat watching telly with a laptop a tablet and phone all on the go. :lol:

i shall look forward to the upgrade, it sounds interesting.

Paul

• Like 1

What have we found?

The same old fears.

Sluggish
Marina

I use Tapatalk (HD) on my iPad... not for this and a couple other forums as I need to see everything when on them, but for other less important forums. I find it just makes the reading simpler and easier for those less important forums.

As for the upgrade of this forum (to v.4 of IBP), groan, it'll be lots more work when the time comes :pullhair: so I'm not looking forward to it! I also usually wait for a few updates first as there are inevitably bugs to iron out in the initial versions. Also, new versions may not be compatible with some of our "gadgets"... so I sometimes wait even longer to see if they get updated to be compatible.

Marina

Lurking
PaulX

Personally I find the forum to be one of the best in terms of usability and gadgets. That includes what should be some very techie forums.

The important thing is the people contributing and using it, that's what makes the real difference.

Maybe you we need to get the neuros to mention the forum at the time of diagnosis. Probably not too ethical though. :lol:

• Like 1

What have we found?

The same old fears.

Sluggish
Marina

You're absolutely spot on about the important thing being the people contributing.

As for getting the word out, maybe - if and when I get a new logo - I could upload a leaflet with info about the forum for people to download and print to give out wherever they can.

As for the forum software and all the add-ons (or gadgets as you call 'em :devilgrin: ), I've always way preferred this IPB software, having used it for over 10 yrs now. And I thank you for your comments about the forum! :flowerface:

• Like 1

Marina

Lurking
PaulX

Thank you for the time and effort you put into it.

i know enough about these computery things to know just what you have to do. Don't tell anyone though. :lol:

• Like 1

What have we found?

The same old fears.