The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Comfortably_Numb

Penicillin Allergy and MS

Penicillin Allergy  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Comfortably_Numb

I've been browsing the forum (which is brilliant), and I read on a thread that there is a suspected increased likelihood of people with MS also being allergic to penicillin. This caught my eye as I am allergic to penicillin. I thought it would be interesting to see how many people here are also allergic to penicillin. I hope that I have started this thread correctly with a working poll.. Thanks!

Edited by Comfortably_Numb

And when the night is cloudy there is still a light that shines on me.

Shine on until tomorrow. Let it be.

Sluggish
Marina

Very interesting poll to start! :flowerface:

I've started the voting off for you as I'm allergic to penicillin and ampicillin (penicillin's sister). It was first discovered in me when I had ... glandular fever, which is sometimes suspected of being a possible cause of MS. Whether I was ever given it before then, I don't recall.

I was given ampicillin. I came out in the most horrific rash, weals on weals all over, not a millimetre of my body wasn't affected, even up my nose and in my ears. It was so bad they even wondered if I had scarlet fever, but I didn't. I kept jumping into cold water baths or being covered in calamine lotion, but nothing helped. I just had to wait it out. It is said that one should never give penicillin/ampicillin to people with glandular fever, but I forget why - other than maybe as it risks causing this horrendous rash!

After that, any time I was accidentally given penicillin or ampicillin, I'd have a rash but much much milder and not all over, maybe just on my legs for instance.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Crafty Cow

Me too! How interesting! X

Follow me, you can follow me....and I, I will not desert you..............

Comfortably_Numb

Very interesting results so far. I wonder what percentage of the population has an allergy to penicillin? I also come out in a horrid red rash that lasts for weeks. It's just meh!

Rama

I'm not allergic to penicillin - or anything that I'm aware of.

Gill

Sleepy
Scully

Hello,

I'm not allergic to penicillin but I do have severe allergy to all fish, not just shell fish, and fish by products. It's anaphylactic shock and I carry an Epi-pen.

I've also developed an allergy to one of the meds since diagnosis.

I did question a Neuro about it once on the basis that if MS is a mistaken attack on the nervous system. And, an allergy is also a mistake made by our own bodies.......then aren't the two linked in some way??? He replied that they may well be, but we don't know for sure as yet.

Interesting , thanks for starting the poll

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Hanoge

hi! just thought that i would stick my oar in. I have been allergic to penicillin since childhood - rash reaction like the others who have repllied. I am also allergic to elastoplast - nothing else to my knowledge. This is an interesting poll.

Annie xx

• Like 1

Comfortably_Numb

hi! just thought that i would stick my oar in. I have been allergic to penicillin since childhood - rash reaction like the others who have repllied. I am also allergic to elastoplast - nothing else to my knowledge. This is an interesting poll.

Annie xx

I am also allergic to Elastoplast!! Lol! Did you vote in the poll?

Skylark

I'm awaiting a diagnosis (first neuro appointment in a month). I've been allergic to penicillen since childhood, as well as perfume and cobalt! I wonder if allergies are common in ' MSers'?