The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
gordon

anyone use Lidocaine patches ?

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

gordon

I am soon to get lidocaine pain patches from my pain therapist

was wondering if anyone else uses them, results, info , do they work ?

look forward to hearing your opinion on them as I have never heard of them.

kind regards

G

i LOVE CHOCOLATE HEE HEE

Lindylou

Hi Gordon,

I`ve not heard of patches being used for pain in ms, but a friend of mine is using patches for osteo arthritis pain, I don`t know what they`re called but she calls them morphine patches. Might be worth finding out what`s in them before you decide whether or not to use them.

Linda x

• Like 1

Sluggish
Marina

There's a member on the MS Trust's support list at YahooGroups who swears by lidocaine patches. Amongst her various posts about them, she said this:

I think the patches only work for neuropathic pain. It does work, very well, on relatively small areas. The patches are about 4" square, and you can use a maximum of three at once. I use them on my feet, sometimes on my bum. I have tried using them for arthritic pain without much relief. They are a bit awkward to keep on in some places, hands for example.

[/Quote]

Normally, lidocaine is an anaesthetic, sometimes also used in a cream, such as in Emla Cream which is used for numbing skin.

• Like 1

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Sleepy
Scully

Years ago I was given patches by my GP.

Not lidocaine, they were called Buprenorphine, which is a diriritive of morphine I think.

Not sure they worked particularly well, but as it turned out I had an allergic reaction to it anyway.

Hopefully, lidocaine will work better, but they seem to only target pain in the area they are attached to......blimey, I'd need hundreds of the little blighters !

Scully

• Like 1

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

gordon

well thanks for the feedback people. im now in two minds whether to get them or not , not point if they only ease pain in that certain area same as you scully I would need hundereds ! ! !

i LOVE CHOCOLATE HEE HEE

gordon

so what painkillers you guys all taking , I cant seem to get thr right pain relief !!!!!!!!

i LOVE CHOCOLATE HEE HEE

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Gordon.

Well, where to start... I take Baclofen for muscle spasm and cramping, have recently come off Gabapentin and started Pregabalin. The Pregabalin works much better than the gabapentin used to.

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Sluggish
Marina

What type of pain are you having?

For instance:

- For muscle spasms in my calves which make them feel tight and painful, I take Baclofen.

- For TN, I take Tegretol.

- For neuropathic pain (sensations), I take nothing as I can't take Gabapentin or Pregabalin due to side-effects. I'm OK with Clonazepam but it makes me even more sleepy than I already am, so I don't take it. But I find the Tegretol helps a bit with the sensation of multiple electrical wires shorting in my legs.

- For my spinal pain (stenosis and various disc and other problems), I take nothing as nothing helps... even spinal injections don't help.

I tend to down Ibuprofen and Paracetamol but Lord know why, since it doesn't help much either, unless it's for just an ordinary everyday headache.

• Like 1

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

gordon

I cant take pregablin or gabapentin , they make me really sick , I take clonazepam n para and inbru ( god knows why either )

I just feel terrible everywhere atm. maybe its also to do with the change in seasons, sometimes that drives my body mental !

i LOVE CHOCOLATE HEE HEE