The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Tabbycat

What are you reading today?

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Tabbycat

Just finished We are all made of glue by the woman who wrote Short history of tractors in the Ukraine. she is good at eye catching titles and linking adhesives with the Arab Israeli conflict via a delapidated house in London and a mad cat woman, takes some doing! What has entertained you recently?

Nick

The Tractor book is brilliant, showing a different face to British society today ...........I had not heard of the 'made of glue' book but will look out for it. I have been reading '1215 the year of Magna Carta' this is also very readable and for anyone who likes Hilary Mantel puts more background into our everyday History.

• Like 1

Just another Warrior...........

Skippysprite

I read lots on my kindle, so I can enlarge the print. At the moment I am reading the Tinkermans Daughter, really enjoying it.

Pam x

• Like 1

Live for today.......never have regrets

Tabbycat

I'm reading a new history of Central Asia and fantasizing about getting on a horse and galloping off across the endless stepe in search of lost cities.

Tabbycat

Who is the Tinkermans daughter by?

Skippysprite

Hi Tabby cat

The Tinkers Daughter is by Jamie Sedgwick, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Pam x

Nindancer

I'm on Awkward Bitch, I thought it was about time I got round to it!

Sonia x

• Like 1

Skippysprite

Hi Sonia

The title of your book sounds like it could be written about me!! Lol

Pam x

Nindancer

Hi Sonia

The title of your book sounds like it could be written about me!! Lol

Pam x

It's written by a lady with MS, that's what she's calling the awkward bitch :wink2: I know it's gonna be a slow read as I keep getting upset, the numb big toe was my first symptom too, I even went to a chiropodist about it.

Send me your address and I'll forward it to you when I'm done

Sonia x

• Like 1

Skippysprite

Hi Sonia

That's such a kind offer, but please dont worry, I will go on Amazon and get it on my kindle, that way I can enlarge the writing, but thank you so much for being so kind.

Mine started with a numb patch on one leg, but that was many moons ago now, and eventually after being monitored, was told I had ppms.

Take care

Pam x

• Like 1

Nindancer

I know Pam, I recognised from the PPMS section if he MS Society PPMS forum :wink2: I can understand why you're using a kindle, silly me is trying to soldier on with books for the time being!

Sonia x

Tabbycat

Read a whole heap of books over the holidays, but nothing inspired me. I worry sometimes that this is because I am getting too tired to be interested or maybe I just find most things irrelevant. Has anyone been inspired, or moved, or swept away by a good book lately - fact or fiction? Looking forward to any suggestions!

Tabbycat

Reading Stefan Zweig at the moment The World of Yesterday . If you have never heard of him ( like me last year!) in his day , between the wars, he was one of the most read writers in the world. He was a Jew like Freud from Vienna and saw his country loose the Austro Hungarian empire after the First World War and then be consumed by the racism of Nazi Germany in the slide into the Second World War. He could see what was coming and he and his wife killed themselves rather than face the destruction of a civilized Europe that he loved.

Have just come back from a couple of days in Vienna for the first time and my head is so full of his book and the urgent and modern need for a united Europe that could never slide again into war. We can be so blinkered here in our peaceful island, but we are not safe from the tides of history and must never fool ourselves that few miles of water will protect us . Europe is still a noble and much needed ideal.

• Like 1