The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
ptlike

positives about having ms

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

ptlike

I was thinking we all know negative things about having ms but are there any positives.

I think im a better person, I have time to talk to people I may not have. I don't rush, I go with the flow. I've met some truly lovely people who have helped me. I apriciate every day. What about you? Best wishes Peter

Nick

Good Idea, think positive.

For me the first impact was without doubt negative, how could it not be? Lost a job, lost a career, lost what I loved to do. But then I too unexpected discovered those very same lovely people who helped. My world has changed but like you Peter, I now take my time, I'm out of the ratty-rat, rat race and have found that there are more things to achieve than simply a job. I'm still alive, I still do stuff, just in a different way and I've stopped worrying what other people might think of me. I'm my new me and while I sometime have to work at keeping positive, most of the time I simply don't dwell on MS. A steep learning curve, but no steeper than many less fortunate, my mind runs to thinking about Syrian refugees crossing a freezing Europe, simply looking for hope. Nope! Having MS is no excuse for not carrying on, it's just one of those unexpected train crashes that change your life. Changes in life are, after all what makes people stronger in the end.

• Like 1

Just another Warrior...........

ptlike

Hi nick, well like you nick I suffered the same fate re work.

Pointless dwelling on though so I now think of how can I. My scooter is more of a dumper/forklift now ha. Gone have the stresses of modern life ha.

Some more positive stuff, blue badge, no car tax,no queuing in airports and general help and assistance.

Best wishes peter

derby42

I also lost my job after 20+ years, I havent driven since diagnosis and spend most of my time on a sofa. BUT . . I have 3 kids and I have lots of time to keep them organised ( appointments, homework, planning trips etc) I shop a lot mostly for my kids and my home, I have 2 dogs, a car that my husband drives, a scooter and a new electric wheelchair that I will soon be able to go into my garden unassisted cos the council have given me a new flat back yard and are arranging a new fully glazed electric door in my dining room so I can escape. I am going out much more and I even made a couole of trips back to Nottingham recently and saw some pals and took my son

to see NFFC three times. I have made some pals there as we all have disabilities and sit togethet of course my son who's 7 now thinks it's great cos he gets to stand pitchside!

I hid away for 6 years and told very few folk about my diagnosis but I'm much less embarrassed now so I'm feeling much happier. Ive realised that Im getting older but I have lost friends with cancer, heart attacks ect but I'm still here eh? I'm very busy cos my kids always want to go places or I'm just knackered! So this is a sorry toi for my lengthy absence xx

• Like 1

derby x

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Derby!

So pleased to see you here again, and even more pleased to hear you so positive and getting on with loads of stuff!

Well done Derby. It's great to hear that you are doing so well.

It just goes to show that even after initial diagnosis and all those dark days and months you suffered, that you've come through the other side and are enjoying life with your family once again.

Scully

x

• Like 1

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Nick

Hi Derby

What a great post! Its really good to hear from you again and to see all that positivity!!!

Nick

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Ditto from me too.

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

derby42

I have really missed you all. Yes Sully they were very dark days and when I think back to them I feel rather unsettled. My baby was diagnosed with autism a few years ago and of course that was far worse for me than my ms diagnosis. He was 6 last week. He is currently non verbal but he's going great at school and he loves it. I just heard from my 13 yr old that my 22 year old is to be a Father. Still sinking in that one. Do kids ever stop keeping you busy?

• Like 3

derby x

Sleepy
Scully

Nope Derby,

Kids will always need you no matter what age they reach.

When they start having kids of their own, they need you all over again!

Scully

X

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Marc

Hmm, positives about having MS? Tricky one for me. I suppose it's made me a better person in some ways, more determined & certainly more empathetic. I've learned not to take things for granted.

Nah, I'd still rather not have MS! : :blink2:

• Like 1

It's not the hand I wanted to be dealt but I'll play it anyway.

Nick

All good points Marc, and welcome from me to the forum.

Nick

Marc

All good points Marc, and welcome from me to the forum.

Nick

Thanks Nick.

It's not the hand I wanted to be dealt but I'll play it anyway.

Nindancer

Saving a bit of money on make-up & perfume as I don't go out every day!

On flip-side, couldn't afford it now anyway :wine:

Sonia x

• Like 1