• Create Account

The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice & information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions & share experiences with people affected by MS.

Medical marijuana strain for pain?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

DANZ1986

DANZ1986

Fledgling

• Newbies
  • 1 posts
    Member: 3044

Current mood: None chosen
I just want to know if someone has any experience using a certain strain of marijuana for pain relief?
One of my friends got me to try his vape with cannabis infused juice but we have no idea what strain of marijuana was used for it.
It really gives you that relaxing feeling and somehow comforting. I don't know if it's the punch of the highness that marijuana gives but it does work.
So I started reading article and news about medical marijuana strains and how would you put it to work. One of them is http://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/hindu-kush/.
The potency of the strain when it comes to pain is very high. I don't know if this is true coz I don't really care with the names or strain back when I was young and smoking it.
I would really like to hear any feedback from you guys. Thanks In advance

Marina

Marina

Forum Founder

• Admin
  • 2,504,945 posts
    Member: 1
  • Zodiac:

Current mood: Relaxed
Whereas I have no objection to discussing the use and pros and cons of cannabis/marijuana purely as a medical aid for MS, I would nevertheless please ask that people err on the side of caution in their choice of words and phrases and in what they say so as to remain on the right side of the law.

It also goes without saying that one should not disclose names, contact or other personally identifiable details publicly on the forum, other than those of recognised licensed medicines such as Sativex or pharmaceutical companies or charities and legal organisations.

Carola

Carola

Fledgling

• Newbies
  • 6 posts
    Member: 3059

Think I can be quite objective as I taught in a prison and know all about the dangers of lots of different drugs.  I've also tried cannabis in various forms to relieve aching legs and while I think it might have helped a bit, and I know some healthy people who love it, I've never had a "high" in my life and have only managed to make myself very sick!  And, if you're not a smoker, it's disgusting.  New users beware.  I do have one question.  Is it legal for us?  I mean, will all doctors prescribe it and the in what form?  Coping with quite a bit of pain at the moment and keep meaning to ask my doctor but keep forgetting.

Marina

Marina

Forum Founder

• Admin
  • 2,504,945 posts
  • Zodiac:

No, unfortunately, it's not (yet) legal for us, in any form (ie, medical). I believe, however, that "medical marijuana" is now available in Northern Ireland. It's legal in the US, as "medical marijuana", with special dispensaries for it, each of which can have a variety of strains and strengths.

Some people don't tolerate the THC, which is what makes you high. I'm like that. I've tried it in the past too, and all it did for me was to make me highly dizzy, with the room spinning around me, and made me fall asleep! I've tried it as an edible, but made it very very weak and it just made me feel a tiny bit floaty.

Sativex, made from cannabis, has a ratio of 1:1 THC and CBD (the cannabinoids of the plant), which is quite a bit lower in THC than the everyday stuff.

derby42

derby42

Living Legend

• Members
  • 1,633 posts
    Member: 1900
  • Zodiac:

Current mood: Bored
Hi, I've been using Sativex for a long time for my curling toes and pain too. I only have one or two sprays a day as it does make me high. I am allowed 10. It's not supposed to cause this feeling but I am susceptible to drugs. I used to smoke it quite regularly as a rebellious youngster so I know the 'high' and was surprised to have it with Sativex as my consultant said it was unlikely to happen. I had a spray 2 hours after my first spray and the guidance states to leave 20 mind between sprays. I didn't like this unexpected effect so now I leave 4 hours between sprays. I won't say it's great but I also take a VERY low dose of pregabalin and as an add on to that it's helpful.

Carola

Carola

Fledgling

• Newbies
  • 6 posts
    Member: 3059

Hi Derby, one question.  Was your doctor okay about prescribing if it's illegal?

Marina

Marina

Forum Founder

• Admin
  • 2,504,945 posts
  • Zodiac:

Sativex isn't illegal, it's a licensed pharmaceutical medicine on doctor's prescription only. However, it's very expensive, so it was frequently refused, and more recently NICE have stopped recommending it "because it is not a cost effective treatment".
https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/sativex-nabiximols

Scully

Scully

Pirate of the oceans

• Moderators
  • 1,002,956 posts
    Member: 1212
  • Zodiac:

Current mood: Tired
Sativex has also had the cannibis  high giving ' element removed, so, although some people may experience a high, most don't.

The NICE guidelines, as described by Marina definitely say that it's NOT to be prescribed.

Patients have to have tried other drugs and failed with them for some time before a GP or Consultant think about prescribing it.

Talk to your GP by all means, but so be prepared for a resounding "no" from most NHS GP's

Scully

Marina

Marina

Forum Founder

• Admin
  • 2,504,945 posts
  • Zodiac:

Scully, it hasn't had all of the "high giving element" - THC - removed. It still contains THC albeit at a lower level than the normal stuff. Sativex has a 1:1 ratio of CBD and THC, which means equal parts of both. That's why some people still might experience a bit of a high.

As an aside, THC is legal as long as it's less than 0.2% (0.3% in the US), such as in CBD oil. If and when medical marijuana is legalised here in the UK, it will contain more THC than CBD oils do, but I wouldn't know the ratios, maybe something like 1:15, 1:20, eg, 1 part CBD to 15 THC, which I guess is still lower than the normal stuff.

Edited by Marina, 18 May 2017 - 09:50 AM.
corrected ratios in last paragraph

Nindancer

Nindancer

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 279 posts
    Member: 2647

Current mood: Bookworm
I'm not sure on the ratios etc. but the CBD oils available legally now, are from hemp and not cannabis - that's why they legalized it.
Sonia x

Marina

Marina

Forum Founder

• Admin
  • 2,504,945 posts
  • Zodiac:

View PostNindancer, on 23 May 2017 - 09:17 PM, said:

the CBD oils available legally now, are from hemp and not cannabis - that's why they legalized it.

This isn't strictly true :flowerface: CBD is CBD no matter where it comes from.

Cannabis can be cannabis sativa, indica, or ruderalis. Hemp is a strain of cannabis sativa. However, more and more hybrid strains of sativa and indica are now being developed and bred, very low in THC, purely to produce CBD oil.

Cannabis strains that have less than 0.2% THC (0.3% in the US) are now referred to as “hemp”, which is what’s made it legal and what differentiates it from cannabis higher in THC.  

This isn’t the same strain of hemp as in industrial hemp, which is used to produce hemp oil (not the same as CBD oil) seeds, fibre and clothes etc, which are made from the stalks and leaves and which have very little CBD in them. The “new” hemp is one of many strains of cannabis where CBD oil is made from the flowers and buds.

Also, oils from industrial hemp will lack what’s known at the “entourage effect”, which are the other “ingredients” that help, mainly terpenes. That’s why some CBD oils refer to “whole plant extract”, which means they include terpenes.
https://www.sclabs.com/terpenes/
https://www.projectcbd.org/terpenes-and-entourage-effect

CBD oils can sometimes also have other cannabinoids in them, such as CBDA, CBG, etc, again making up part of the “entourage effect” and are also found in whole plant extracts.
https://www.sclabs.com/cannabinoids/

A number of vendors refer to their CBD oils as being extracted from cannabis, others refer to them as hemp oils even though it’s not the same as the kind of hemp oil you might put on salads (from industrial hemp).

https://www.projectcbd.org/article/sourcing-cbd-marijuana-industrial-hemp-vagaries-federal-law

This is a bit off-topic here as the original post was about medical marijuana, which has higher levels of THC. In the US, they have dispensaries for CBD oils with higher levels of THC and which are referred to as “medical marijuana”, whilst CBD oil as we can buy here isn’t “medical marijuana” per se.