The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Nindancer

Fasting Mimicking Diet

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Nindancer

Here's the blog I've finally gotten around to writing. I tried out the mimic fasting thing last year and after Christmas, getting back on old meds etc. I'm getting back on it now. Hope it's of interest

http://brokendancer.over-blog.com/2017/04/mimic-fasting-fasting-mimicking-diet-what-it-s-all-about-and-is-it-worth-it.html

Sonia x

Nick

Hi Sonia,

Enjoyed your blog, most interesting. I wish I could lose some weight! It's just so difficult to balance diet against exercise when you have MS, as you know, so any suggestions are always welcomed. With both diet and exercise my problem is the required discipline to stick to the 'rules'

Nick

Just another Warrior...........

Nindancer

Hi Nick,

it's not fun but lots and lots of water.

Cereal (if you can be sensible enough to portion it!) but decent bars are easier and plenty of fresh fruit. Fresh soup for tea works well for me for me with gluten free seeded bread. Rice cakes (you can eat lots of but not too filling) and pots of rice pudding are quite good for a bit more filling. Canned fruit is also handy, just careful if t's in syrup so you don't have lot of sugar!

I have some pots that I know roughly how many peanuts I can have in them as a portion. I had some slightly posher hemp crackers from Ocado that were good with peanut better on. I also discovered with some thicker Kallo rice crackers that one of those broken up in soup actually took away need for bread and made the bowl o soup far heartier - I think they're under 50 cals too so half a carton of decent soup with one of those in it worked out roughly 150 cals so you can easy add other stuff too that and feel like yoy'de eaten a decent amount.

So yes, you need to reduce your calorie intake but not impossible at all.

As for exercise, I'm rubbish! I can't handle getting hot and had great plans to start planking daily but actually getting in that position and then being face down on the floor isn't working out too well. I don't think any of us can easily, truly accept our limitations!

Sonia x

Nick

Well I have tried to watch the calories but chocolate keeps getting in the way! Seriously I don't do to badly and avoid sugar most of the time. I'm good with having fruit and have managed to keep my weight about the same over the last couple of years. I do however remain overweight ever since I had to give up work. The temperature problem with exercise is I think pretty 'normal' with MS and I'm kind of getting used to it (if you know what I mean. ) I'm lucky in that I do a once a week exercise class, These are seated exercices aimed at older people and for people with disabilities. Believe me it was difficult to accept I needed it, but it has proved a real godsend. A good instructor is pretty important and while trying to do what I can, there is never any pressure to overdo it. The thing is it acts as a kind of 'gauge' on how I am doing. It also very scary in that I am very slowly not able to do as much as I could. Yet I am convinced that probably the very best thing I can do is to keep exercising and try and keep a sensible balance to my diet. I'm not a person who can count the calories, and I find that having a planned day when I do the weekly exercise group ensures I do it! My physio always gives me advice and sheets of certain exercises but doing them on your own never seems to work.

Nick

Just another Warrior...........

Balanced
Happymama

It's an old topic, but diets are always around, aren't they?

I'm on a Keto diet.  You get into full keto and your metabolism changes, your liver starts to choose fat to burn, not carbs.  It's how we are designed to be.  

Since giving up carbs - I manage on 20g of carbs a day, pretty much from some root veg and the odd glass of wine - sugars of all sorts have no hooks in me at all.  I feel brighter, literally as if I've had an increase of IQ, which is impossible, but what is possible is that my carbs were dumbing me down, so I can now do the FT weekend crossword when I couldn't before.  I sleep better, I've lost weight, blood tests - although i eat a lot of healthy fats - are great, and my blood sugar is dead level.  T2 diabetics are put on the keto diet all the time.

I'm pescatarian, often veggie, rarely red meat (I like it so a good vet could revive it so its a treat, once a month or so) and eat salmon, avos, mackerel, sardines etc for the fats, and the kids are stable on it totally too.  They've not lost weight, I have. Lots.  They have to eat a lot less carbs at school but have adapted well.  And I give them less of the fatty option, if it's involving a cream sauce.  

DietDoctor is the place to start.  Veggie isn't easy but it's not impossible.  There's a lot of good advice on the UK Diabetes site forum too.  It's not Atkins. It takes about a month to get fully ketonic, and you get something called Keto flu. Drink bouillon to avoid it. Drink a lot of water and salt your food.  

If  I eat carbs now (fish and chips) I feel dreadful the day after.   There has been no change in my neuro symptoms but I feel a lot better in my head.