The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Mal

MS and type 2 diabetes

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mal

Hi

It looks likely that ill be DX type 2 diabetes , just got to have a second blood test to confirm it

just been reading that there is a link between type 2 diabetes and MS

has anyone here have both and how do you cope having both ?

Mal xx

Marc

I had a blood test at the beginning of the year and my mmol was 52 (48+ being diabetic). Like you, I had to go back for a 2nd test a couple of months later. In the meantime, I completely cut ot sugar from my diet along with a lot of other unhealthy stuff. My 2nd test was 45!

So don't think of it as an inevitability, it doesn't take too much and it's not necessarily too late.

• Like 2

It's not the hand I wanted to be dealt but I'll play it anyway.

Mal

Well i had a phone call on Friday about my second test confirming i have type 2 Diabetes

and my GP started meon Metformin tablets this morning and i have an appointment to see a nurse on Friday

on a good note , my latest MRI was all good :huladance:

Marc

Sorry to hear that but at least you can start treatment and keep it under control.

Good news about the MRI though.

• Like 1

It's not the hand I wanted to be dealt but I'll play it anyway.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Diabetes and MS ..... my story

Hi and thanks for your welcome on the introduction thread.   Hope I don't bore you too much but would like to share my story up until now with you but ooooh where to start?!   I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 4 years ago (I was 36 and it was considered late onset). Was a major shock to the system and it came out of the blue. No one else in my family has any form of the disease and I couldn't understand 'why me'! However after a tough first year or so in denial and resenting it, I knuckled under and got the hang of controlling it.   All has been fine (ish) until the last 18 months or so. I've always suffered from aches and pains, particularly in my neck and back but I started complaining to my husband that when I bent my head forwards, it felt like an elastic band twanging from my lumbar region up to my neck. My mother, who has benign MS said that she got that too and she sent me to her physio who she sees when her feet and legs are playing up particularly badly. Few cracks of the neck, a nice massage and I didn't feel so bad. So that was that.   Then on holiday a year past Easter, I started feeling very dizzy and nauseous. I was light headed and stumbling around like I was drunk (but sadly wasn't). When back, I was diagnosed with labrynthitis, an inner ear infection and although the drugs had no effect, finally I stopped being sick everytime I stood up about 6 weeks later. I was left with a strange feeling in my legs and nether regions, no pain but numbess I suppose, although I could feel pins etc being scraped down my thighs. As I wasn't in pain, it didn't unduly worry me and I carried on regardless. I put it down to a touch of diabetic neuropathy which eventually cleared up last summer.   In Jan of this year I got up from the couch and stumbled and that was the start of this current saga. I felt like I was walking on a rowing boat and walls and door stops became my best friends as I was constantly battering off them. I got tremors in my left hand, reyanuds in my index fingers, painful joints, would clear the contents off the top of my bedside cabinet when putting my light out and couldn't get out of bed without falling into the wall. My left leg felt like it was jerking out to the side of me when I walked although I don't think it was noticeable to anyone else. I felt like I was underwater everytime I turned over in bed. Also during this time, I had 2 separate bouts of indigestion and sickness. I have never felt pain like it, I could barely breathe or talk with the pain under my chest and across my shoulders. My blood sugar was all over the place as I couldn't keep anything down and this prompted me to visit my GP and physio again. They both agreed that this was more than an ear infection or a dodgy neck and my GP referred me to a neurosurgeon. I was convinced I had an ulcer and thought my neuropathy was getting worse (which I couldn't understand as my blood sugar control was stable).   I was sick of everything by this time, I had just turned 40 and felt 90. I was constantly shattered and it didn't matter if I went to my bed at 8pm or 4am, I never felt any different. I decided to go privately for the consultation and as usual after all this time dealing with the symptoms, a few days before my appointment, I realised I wasn't staggering or feeling 'weird' anymore. I went to my appointment expecting to be told I had had some kind of viral infection or that I was a total fraud but to my surprise, my Consultant said that from what I had told him, there was more than enough reason to be referred for an MRI. He put meon the NHS waiting list and I had my scan 5 weeks later, 3 weeks after that I got the results (Monday past) and was told there were 4 lesions on my brain and that he recommended a lumbar puncture. I haven't had any symptoms of staggering etc (although I still feel about 90) since that appt with my consultant and wasn't really expecting this but with my mother having benign MS, I think I know the direction he is going.   Many of the symptoms I've had I put down to being diabetic and to my surprise found a number of articles on the net linking the two. It appears they are very similar diseases and I wondered if many people on here have both? I wonder now (if it is MS) which came first as I understand you can live with both for years without exhibiting symptoms. I always put the diabetes down to pregnancy diabetes that went untreated due to my daughter being born abroad, that would be nearly 11 years ago now and I know childbirth can be blamed for the onset of lupus, has it ever been mentioned in relation to MS (for the females only of course ;))   To be honest, an MS diagnosis wouldn't be the end of the world for me right now (I hope), it would make sense of a number of health issues I've had over the years and I could finally give it a name and start managing it in a way which will hopefully see improvements. Hope that makes sense! Please don't think I'm wishing it on myself lol   The article on here about the things docs don't tell you, I found particularly interesting, especially the gum disease part. I've lost 3 pretty healthy teeth this year alone due to gum disease and roots breaking etc. Again I blamed my diabetes on this but its interesting that it could tie in with my other symptoms.   Oh well here's to a quick appointment for my lumbar puncture and an even quicker diagnosis... of whatever is causing me to fall apart at the seams lol   Thanks for taking the time to read all this waffle!

in General Discussion about MS

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.