The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Scully

The dreaded MS 'Hug' attacks again....and again..

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Sleepy
Scully

Hello lovely people,

Well, I've been under some strain lately. Holed up in my study, checking the law, drafting and re drafting statements, gathering evidence, researching, and finally, making up several court bundles...

Then the court case itself. I love representing, particularly when the 'other side' calmly walk right into my questioning, and gift me what I needed to win...a very happy client.

Anyways, back to the 'hug' I've had 3 attacks, each lasting a few days.....the hug is like being squeezed very tightly around my upper torso, movement is very difficult, so is not moving, and trying to get comfortable just won't happen.

This last attack, which only let go today, was 3 days and 3 nights....no sleep, can't bear restrictive clothing and just a few hours sleep, here and there....despite swallowing Baclofen and pregabalin like sweeties...

I'm sure it's related to stress and anxiety....just as well I only jump into my 'lawyer mode' for friends and family.....I don't khow how I ever did it full time!

Anyone else with this intolerable MS symptom, has my heartfelt empathy!

Scully

Edited by Scully

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Nick

Definitely stress related, yet you just proved you could still do what you used too...........only not quite so much....as you thought.

The business of the 'hug' was not something I really thought I had experienced but curiously, long before my diagnoses, I can recall on more than one occasion having the feeling of very tight painful restriction around my chest. The first time I ever had this was up in Denmark when I was working on a very small coaster, with a very small crew, where everybody did everything ( 5 of us) We had broken down and the pressure was on to repair the engine. I recall suddenly having this effect and thinking it was some kind of heart attack, scary indeed, but being a bloke, I simply had to stop doing anything, much to the concern of the others. The following day I was fine.

That was a long time ago and over the years I have had similar events. These days I know that at least my heart is in good shape.

So the question is, is this an "MS Hug' By the sounds of your situation the effect with you is quite prolonged.

Anyway Lori, I do hope you feel a bit better soon. I suspect you knew that by getting involved in a stressful case, that there would be consequences. There lies the dilemma, how can you not want to carry on, at the same time as worrying that the 'progression' might be accelerated by overdoing things.

I don't often give Lawyers advice, but sounds like you need a holiday.........the chocolate having probably already been eaten.

Nick

Edited by Nick
  • Like 1

Just another Warrior...........

Skippysprite

Hi Scully

You have my sympathy, cannot believe someone gave this the name 'hug'........IMO it should be called 'the thug'

Hope you feel better after some decent sleep and have time to de-stress.

Pam x

• Like 1

Live for today.......never have regrets

Nindancer

Truthfully, I think I've been really lucky, I had problems with the hug about a year after I was Dx . Like I said, lucky - in that it didn't ever interrupt any serious occasions, it happened when I laughed hard. In addition to the squeeze, my bladder suffered but fortunately never caused an accident but did mean I probably looked like I was choking as I'd get up and leave the room with not a word and hugging my own torso.

Most unlucky occasion was in a pub and my sister's boyfriend made me laugh so hard, that I managed to throw up a mouthful of wine - extremely embarrassing! It was sick tho, not just wine so my shoes needed a good clean as they smelt horrid.

I hope it passes for you too as it's rotten, extra stress is just never needed

Sonia x

• Like 1