The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
ptlike

Taking a Scooter on Buses

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

ptlike

Hi all

I've recently sold my vehicle so I thought as today's a nice day I'd travel by bus to see my son. I use a small travel mobility scooter to travel to the shops ect. I drove onto the bus and parked up in the disabled bit which was fine and paid for a return ticket. On catching the bus home the driver refused at first to bring me back and then refused to put the ramp down. I did manage to get home ok though.

Moral to this story is don't go on a bus with a mobility scooter no matter how small.

Sorry just thought I'd share my tale of woe

Take care Peter

Marc

I've never tried to take my scooter onto a bus but someone once told me they would take wheelchairs but not scooters. Seems like they're not sure of the policy themselves.

I take it that it was a different driver? Glad you got home safely though.

• Like 1

It's not the hand I wanted to be dealt but I'll play it anyway.

Sluggish
Marina

The laws for scooters and wheelchairs on buses are slightly different.

If the driver accepted your scooter (which they did as they let you buy a return ticket) but refused to put the ramp down, then this is against the Disability Discrimination Act.

“The law says bus and coach drivers must give reasonable assistance to disabled people, eg helping them get on and off the bus or coach. This doesn’t mean physically lifting passengers or heavy mobility equipment.”

https://www.gov.uk/transport-disabled/cars-buses-and-coaches

The only time a driver can refuse to help you is: “if doing so would adversely affect his health or safety, your safety or that of other passengers or the safety of the vehicle.”

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/accessible-buses-and-coaches/bus-and-coach-accessibility-and-the-public-service-vehicle-accessibility-regulations-2000

More:

http://www.rica.org.uk/content/buses

http://www.rica.org.uk/content/your-legal-rights-accessible-transport

PS - I’m going to move this to the General Discussion area, as it might be of interest or use to MSers, rather than being in “Friendship and Fun” :-)

• Like 1

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Sleepy
Scully

Ok, lawyer hat firmly on head.

Like most areas of law, it is filled with ubiquitous grey areas, that often are simply down to interpretation of individuals or bodies of people..... ( see what I mean..)

Frankly it can be like knitting fog.

Marina is quite right when she says that when the driver sold you a return ticket, with scooter, therefore, there is an 'implied contract' that both you and your scooter have been accepted on the bus.

By the second driver refusing you, I assume you showed him your return ticket? Then not only had he breached the Discrimination Act, but he's also breached the 'implied contract' of your ticket.

My advice to you, as a lawyer, is to write to the bus company, telling them what happened, dates times, buses etc.. stating the areas of law that Marina has set out for you, and ending the letter, politely asking for, an explanation, an apology, and reassurance that drivers should be trained in the law involving scooters on public transport..

My advice to you as a friend...contact your local paper or local news media, get it out there, often the best way for bus companies to 'train their staff ' is to have some bad media...

Scully

• Like 2

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

ptlike

Thanks Marc, Marina and Sully. I know I should go to papers and complain but I just don't want the hassle, male wimp lol. My daughter is pursuing it though. I see on some public transport companies websites they state only scooters without handlebars. Does any scooter not have handle bars lol???

Best wishes Peter

Sleepy
Scully

I've never heard anything quite so ridiculous !!! Crazy

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

ptlike

The bus company I used don't carry scooters with handlebars. I guess it means they will accept powerchairs and wheelchairs.

Thanks to everyone who comented, even though nothings changed it was good to winge .

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now