The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
SkattyBell

Muscle cramp/spasm

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

SkattyBell

Hello,

Wondering if anyone has any experience of dicloflex 75mgSR (diclofenac sodium)?

I have been prescribed this as I have had a nasty attack of cramping spasm across my upper back which had left me almost unable to move without shouting out in agony as well as frightening me and my kids who wanted to get a neighbour... I declined; a definite 'no,no'. as I was still in my nightdress! anyway it subsided enough to get to see a doc, but I am stil in discomfort, he seems to think I have probably been sleeping in an awkward position and have moved awkwardly somehow causing muscle in back to go into spasm.

I undersstand this medication is slow releasing, but how long before it will work? I am not getting much relief and I took my first tablet almost three hours ago. Do I just need to be patient before it kicks in?

Skatty

Michelle

Hi Skatty,

I used to take 75mg SR as I have arthritis in my neck and spine...which causes inflammation. I stopped taking them, as at one point I was taking too many tablets.

Sadly,I have no idea how long they will take to work their magic.

I do hope they will help you feel better soon.

Michelle :flowerface:

SkattyBell

Thanks,Michelle,

I think they are starting to work, back area has definitely relaxed a little, although I have still got odd spasm/jumping in legs, feet and arms; at least these are not painful and I am starting to feel quite relaxed and tired, perhaps I will get a good nights' rest for a change :flowerface:

O.X.O.

Skatty.

titch

Hi

I have had Diclofenic before for my muscle spasms, but unfortunately I had to stop them before they could get to work on that because I had a nasty reaction to them.

However, my father takes them for his muscle spasms and he says they are a god send and that they took a few days to start working.

Hope that is of some help.

Vicky x

Sluggish
Marina

For those who know it better by its trade name, it's aka Voltarol. It must be taken with food or milk as it can cause stomach problems otherwise (ie, ulcers). It can be a very useful drug for pain and inflammation, being primarily an anti-inflammatory, and it's commonly prescribed.

I personally find it of no use in MS type spasms, and found it of little or no use for my back spasms. The only thing I find which helps is something like a Valium as it has muscle-relaxing properties. Or Baclofen, which isn't a tranquiliser but which is meant specifically for spasms.

There is a newer form of diclofenac, but I've forgotten its name, which has far fewer side-effects and is less of a problem with stomach troubles. I was given it this summer for something (again, I forget what!) and actually found it quite helpful. I now wish I could remember what it's called... if I remember, I'll post it.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Muscle twitching

Hi all I have been diagnosed with MS for 18 months (remitting relapsing) and the last five weeks I have had muscle twitching! This has me really worried about motor neurone disease!! Seeing neurologist in 3 weeks!! Seen 4 different drs and they have tried to reassure me but it hasn't!! They all said it would be highly rare. Spoke to ms nurse and also said it would be extremely rare. Does anyone else have twitches. Grateful for any replies

in General Discussion about MS

• Does Baclofen help with muscle aches? If not, what does?

Good afternoon everyone. I started on my copaxone last August and have felt so well since I wished I had done it earlier. At my previous rate I should have had two relapses since then but I am relapse free and life feels good But, I am getting increasing pain in both legs and, sometimes my arms. The muscles feel weak and without strength - for example when I was doing my daughter's hair the other day I had to keep lowering my arms due to pain. My walking is now affected and the muscles hurt at rest. They are particularly bad when I first wake up. They feel stuff and achy but not really "spastic" if you know what I mean. The MS nurse suggested baclofen and my GP has prescribed it but I wondered if anyone had had similar symptoms to these and if the baclofen (or anything else) worked. Any words of wisdom would he gratefully received. Thanks, Sam

• pulled muscle

Having had a bad shoulder for nearly 5wks i did ring drs 2wks ago but as i know theres not alot you can do for a pulled muscle,i was taking pain killers and putting ice pack on it did seem to be getting better,but last couple of days its been really bad to the point its like a shooting pain coming from the my the left side of my back going up towards my ear and face?the worst thing is i don't even know how i did it i litteraly woke up 1 morning in absolute pain and couldn't move of my pillow was so bad i just lay there crying,then i started with pain killers, cold pack, icespray, its now nearly 6wks and it's getting me down a bit as i can't even move properly for it,so had to ring drs again,now im waiting of there call susan x

• Nighttime muscle twitches and spasms affecting us both

Hello All,   Nighttime as I posted before are a bit of a trial right now, as I do seem to wake with leg pain a lot, although its been better of late with increased doses of Baclofen, Gabapentin, and amitriptyline.   A second problem has been very severe and constant muscle twitching and spasm. The twitches are all down the whole length of my legs, and the pain spasms seems to affect my calves and feet.   If we cuddle up close ( which is fab for both of us) when my legs are against his legs. My partner commented that he could feel all my leg muscles 'going crazy' with twitches and movements that he could feel, constantly. The permanent movement causes him to have to move away as they are now driving him nuts!   Anyone else have this troublesome twitching and spasm problem?   Scully x

• Magnesium for muscle spasms

I suffer from muscle spasms in my legs and I've heard magnesium supplements could be a way to help. Does anyone do this and anyone found if it works.

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.