The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Wnella

Working with MS ?

When after you had MS where you forced to stop working ?  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

26 posts in this topic Last Reply

endilwen

I'm in full-time employment. Sometimes I really struggle, especially with fatigue - one day I napped with my head on my desk in my lunch hour! I love my job but I'm not sure how long I will keep going for, I'm pretty stubborn so probably will push myself for as long as I can.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Disability employment conference - working together

Got this email last night from the open university:   The OU community have been given exclusive live access: to the 'Disability employment conference - working together' online event and we would like to invite you to attend.     The conference is hosted by the Department for Work & Pensions and is a unique opportunity for business and government to come together and identify the challenges that others are facing and provide innovative solutions to be able to tap into this underemployed pool of talent and reap the benefits that this can bring.   Confirmed speakers are: • Ashok Vaswani CEO Barclays • Sir Andrew Witty CEO Glaxo Smith Kline • Secretary of State for Department for Work and Pensions RT Hon Iain Duncan Smith • Secretary of State for Business Innovation and Skills Rt Hon Dr Vince Cable • Ruby McGregor Smith CEO MITIE • Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou, easyGroup • David Abraham Channel 4   The conference will be co-hosted by the Minister for Disabled People, Esther McVey and Frank Gardner, BBC and entertainment by Chicken Shed and Abnormally Funny People.     Been watching since 9am, seems like a great chance to make some real positive steps forward, wish i could ask them all questions though....especially IDS! Although probably for the best!

in General Discussion about MS

• couldnt carry on working

Hi all, well that time came had no choice but to give up work,after being of sick nearly 3 mths,it got to the point just did'nt have energy to have the get up and go,i ended up being tired before i got there,it was always a worry getting from taxi on my own to getting in work and trying to serve ppl, i was frighted in case i fall,i always have hubby by my side to link when i go out,my balance when im out is weird, im having few problems with swollen feet and hands,my hands hurt on waking when i stretch them its like every joint hurts in my fingers?, i started new meds 3wks ago Gilenya,at first my body just felt different, had a few palpations,ended up going back to hospital for an ECG,it was normal for my heart rate to drop and that was what i was experiencing,im back to see my neuro next week for follow up susan x

• Is it the meds or surgery working ?

Hi, just before christams I had nerve ablation on L4/L5 in an attempt to reliev some pain. A few days before this I started on 50mg amitrypteline and some Baclofen. A couple for days after the surgery my legs felt great and I don't know whether it was the meds getting to full strength or the surgery.   However I've begun to feel pain below the knee and also some on my thigh just above my knee.   If it was the surgery that relieved the pain, has it worn off so soon, or has the message getting to my brain being routed another way (as per the way once the myelin becomes damaged)?   If it was the meds, then do I need to be increasing the strength?     Sorry about the way this is worded, can't think of another way to put.       Steve

• think the steroids r not working

Hi everuone hope all is well.   As some of u know i had 3 days worth of steroid infusions done. last thursday they finally kicked in and i felt great. all housework got done then hubbys do saturday nite and yes i even managed a little boogie lol.   But the last two days my legs r starting to feel numb again!! and the weakness is creeping back in. i thought the steroids would last longer than 4 days!!!!! if so i aint definately having them agan considering the bad reactions i had with them!!!   I do hope everyone has a lovely christmas and a happy new year to u all.   Vanessa xxxx

• Working offshore

At the present time I'm currently in the process of awaiting a diagnosis of what may or may not be M.S. and am signed off work on the sick. As I work offshore in the oil industry I'm not sure what the implications of being diagnosed with M.S. is likely to have on my employment prospects. To be honest I'm worried sick! Was wondering if anyone else on here had found themselves in a similar position and what their experiences are?   Although my symptoms are no where near as bad as many and I do feel that I could easily resume my job as long as things don't deteriorate any further. From what I've read so far if I am diagnosed then I'll be obliged to notify my employer. As I understand it if I can no longer work offshore my employer would be obligated to find me a shore based job but I'd rather continue in my present role. Main reason I started working offshore was to avoid the daily commute and the 9-5 grind! Would rather not have to go back to spending my Sunday nights ironing shirts for the week, besides I already burned all my ties!   Don't mean to sound like some pathetic whinger. I do realise that a lot of you guys have got much more to worry about but would appreciate any feedback from anybody who'd been in a similar situation.

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.