The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Marina

Stress - How does it affect your MS?

How does Stress affect your MS?  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 posts in this topic Last Reply

Sluggish
Marina

Friendly reminder taken from the top of all Poll pages:

When replying, please strictly keep to the topic of the poll giving your additional information, but don't invite discussion or replies or start "chatting" about all sorts else. If you wish to discuss any part of a poll, please open a new topic in the "MS Discussion" area or elsewhere as appropriate.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

mama max

All of my major relapses seem to have been brought on by severe stressful situations going on in my life....but the question is what comes first..the chicken or the egg??? the MS or the stress???? In my mind the two don,t compliment each other resulting in a relapse....mild or severe depending on the stress or your ability to deal with the stress. My first incident was at a time I had severe stress thrown at me in every direction of my life...professional, personal and family life...I just couldn,t cope with it and got ill! The other relapses were mild in comparason until the one I,m suffering now and again bad bad stress seems to be a contributing factor. You can,t eliminate stress from your life so I guess the only option is to learn how to deal with it.... :winkgrin: xxx

mama max

mj2000uk

I can vouch for this very directly this week.

I have never had so much stress as I have had this past week. I work in a small company and we were let down by a product, with our main customer, which unfolded in front of every decision makers eyes and it could have had grave effects on our business as a whole.

Subsequently, I was on site from 08.00 every day through the week and leaving near 19.00 so an 11 hour stress of a day was happening for 5 days on the run.

I dont have a diagnosis of MS right now. I still have probable MS according to all and sundry. However, at the end of the week. My whole left side feels week and last night in particular, through worry, I got only 4 hours of sleep.

So I have voted for all symptoms to be worse under stress as thats how I feel right now.

happyandy

Stress is certainly the major causes of my relapses. I am currently off work after a particularly rough time. I made the mistake of turning to drink which landed me in hospital. Glad to say that was a wake up call and have returned to my previous teetotal state. I recognise that I need a different method of relieving stress . One document I got thru my healthcare provider suggests I should take up tapestry or get a facial. Aghhhh well ....

If I knew I was going to live so long I would have taken better care of my body

-Kaz-

Stress always makes my symptoms worse and has brought on relapses before now too.

I believe that we are all pre-disposed to illnesses which are just waiting for a trigger and in my case that was MS, triggered by major stress at the time.

Now, when i feel stressed i can feel the symptoms getting worse.

When stressed we tend to sleep less anyway through lying awake with worry and mulling things over. Lack of sleep is detrimental to any illness as the immune system tends to weaken further, making it ideal conditions for worsening of symptoms or a relapse!

I do think that some people are better equipped to cope with stressful situations than others though, unfortuantely i'm not one of them as i'm a born worrier, a typical taurean trait so i'm told!!

My other half is much more laid back when it comes to (not)worrying about things than i am, but i'm learning to let go of things that used to really bother me.

I also use anything and everything that will help me unwind; relaxation cd's on my ipod, herbal teas, healing crystals, incense, you name it i'll try it!

When i'm feeling happy and relaxed, my ms is much less of a problem.

Keep smiling :-)

Kaz

Tania B

I've found that my symptoms seem to flare with stress and just lately new ones are happening. I'm not coping well diagnosis if I'm honest. I'm scared and find it hard not to think about MS.

Tania

Summer
I've found that my symptoms seem to flare with stress and just lately new ones are happening. I'm not coping well diagnosis if I'm honest. I'm scared and find it hard not to think about MS.

Tania

It is scary having things wrong.

If it is any consolation, I feel a lot of fear when I have to give reports at meetings and that kind of thing because I dread people asking me questions, my reponses can be slow at times due to my poor memory and my Asperger's. It will never go away and I will never be able to put back the wires that are missing.

I fear MS too because of some symptoms are a challenge to deal with, in particular the calf pains at night. Lots of people fear the lack of mobility, but I have been there and done that with the ME so nothing new for me, though for some people it will be a big deal.

Have you read the statistics? many people with MS live quite ordinary lives most of the time and many do not encounter things that they find too disabling for many years, also there are many more bits of disabled equipment that you can get compared to even twenty years ago when I was struggling.

Don't know what else to say.

Hugs

Summer

jayjill

Interesting question. I'm convinced that stress has played a major part in the course of my ms. Diagnosed in '96 I managed the symptoms well so it didn't affect what I did. Then in 2009 we moved - I found I had bitten off more than I could chew! And my system was flooded with cortisol for 3 maybe 4 years. Also I had no appetite and it was easier to just eat less or hardly at all. In Feb I fell and # neck of femur, no surprises there then but a lot of pain!! Worsened symptoms since we moved. Moral is, avoid unknown changes. Jill x

• Like 1