The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
LalalaKirby

Leg pain

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

LalalaKirby

Hey guys! How y'all doin'?

Yesterday, I noticed my left leg was acting a bit sore. Being someone who went moving around the day before to get some project work done, I put it down to that (though usually I put myself through so much more without sore legs -- go figure ^^;).

Sadly, today the leg's hit pain at full swing. Usually when I get a leg pain it goes on for a night then is completely fine by the next day, so this morning when my leg still burned, I found myself thinking "Aww."

Now I'm thinking "Ow."

Its a burning pain on the top of my upper leg. Its actually gone from something I usually deal with, to a full-on distraction *grumble* and I wanted to work on some extra credit...

Taken some pain killers, but has this affected anyone else? What have they found to alleviate the pain?

I'm such a geek when I draw in breath it's with pixels!

Michelle

Hi There,

Poor you! I get deep pain in both my legs, and they are quite sore to touch. I take pregablin for the pain ,and actually increased my dosage today due to the pain...Guess what! It hasn't helped. I have tried to stay off Zydol, my other painkiller as I usually get :juggler: when taking them. All I can say, is that despite the pain I still try and keep moving.

I am wondering if the pain is worse because of the cold spell that we are having???

Maybe! It's quite awful isn't it?

I wish I had some tip to give to you...But as of yet I am hitting my head against a brick wall. Lets hope it passes soon.

In my thoughts

Michelle :rain:

Sluggish
Marina

Sorry to jump in so late, my phone line was down for 5 days at the time, so I've only just got around to seeing this...

I get very achy, even painful, legs. I also get burning sensations in my leg, usually the right one. It can vary from a patch the size of a 50p coin to the whole of the front of the upper leg. Lula, who used to be around on the forum, used to liken it to "liquid fire". Usually, when it's the whole upper leg, it's when I'm in bed and it can wake me up or keep me awake.

Painkillers etc never worked for me, nothing seemed to. Although I do seem to remember that the LDN stopped a lot of this type of pain (my feet burn too). I put that in the past tense re the LDN, as I was on capsules then went to the liquid where some symptoms seem to have returned and have just gone back to the capsules, so we'll see if it helps again in the future.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

LalalaKirby

Hey mish, Marine~!

Its good to know I'm not the only one who gets leg pain, but seeing the responses, I think I should count myself lucky for what little mine ended up being. ^^;; The painkillers didn't work in the end but the pain went away on its own, which was a relief. But my legs are sensitive when walking now (which is troublesome since I walk most everywhere ^^;). Yay, jelly legs~!

I really hope I get on the injections soon... I think I need to see my neuro BEFORE April....

Thanks for the help, guys~!

Oh! One thing I found, putting a hot-water bottle on it may not have done much, but it was a small comfort!

~~Steph

Michelle

Hi Steph,

Glad to hear that your leg pains have improved. I have had a strange week this week regarding pain. My legs have been so heavy and painful... that I became quite upset... when I saw a group of women in thier 30's running past our house in their joggers. For the first time I asked the question,

'Why?' :clap: Not like me at all. I think I was at a low ebb, and seeing those women out running, was a trigger for a pity party :hurra:

Coping with chronic pain is never easy, and finding ways of dealing with the pain is even harder.

It's good to know that the hot water bottle eased some of the pain for you. I have taken more hot baths this week, despite them making me feel strange. I even had my hand held massager out on these pegs of mine.

However,yesterday andrew and I took our dog out for a walk on the beach. I found that during the walk on the beach my pain and discomfort lifted. I really think it was because I was far more relaxed. Maybe a relaxed mind... results in relaxed muscles. That's been proven!

Sadly, the storms that life bring your way don't always result in a relaxed mind.

And having said that; I had a stress ball day today, and my legs began acting up. :howdy:

Hope you get your treatment sorted real soon.

Michelle :howdy:

mayb

Don't know if you have tried it but the Doc gave me Gabapentin for my burning, painful leg and foot - he says it is the latest thing for calming nerves. The dose is quite low but it has calmed it down a bit. MS nurses in a Shefield (I think it was) survey have given it the thumbs up for pain relief at 900 mgs a day in three doses of 300 - showing very few side effects. I might ask my doctor if I can increase my dose to that. I have had this problem now for about 7 weeks and it seriously interferes with my sleep. Hence posting at all hours.

I find the hot water bottle helps - cold packs are the pits. I have created a tunnel of cushions under my bedsheets to stop anything touching my foot in particular. I take a higher dose at night but it is not doing much to stop the burning pain and cramps. Not much comfort to anyone else but I was sort of relieved to read others have similar experiences with leg problems.

I keep reading about this LDN in posts and it sounds brilliant. Where should I go to get the full info on that?

Mary

Mayb

Sluggish
Marina

Mary,

We have a whole section dedicated to LDN, with info and with links to LDN sites (in particular the LDN Research Trust). Go to the main page of the Forum and scroll down to the LDN section and take a look at the info in there re LDN. I'm on LDN, and for me personally, I found it to help quite a bit with the burning and sensory sensations as well as with pain in general; but each person who's on it might have different symptom relief (if any).

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Michelle

Mary,

I did not get on well with Gabapentin. It gave me lots of headaches. I am now taking pregablin and am loathed to increase my dose any further as it increases my appetite when i do so :howdy:

Pain,burning etc is a nightmare to have in your legs, and I can totally empathise with you on that front.

Hope the pain eases for you.

Michelle :clap:

mayb

Thanks Marina I will look this up now.

Michelle thanks for the reply. I have not had any problems with the Gabapentin but I don't know how much good it is doing me either as I am on a low dose.

:howdy: not sure what this means but I do like elephants.

I hope you find an answer that doesn't keep you locked in the loo or eating yourself out of house and home!! Its all a bit of a balancing act really isn't it.

Have a hug from me.

Mary

Mayb

mayb

Don't know what happened to my elephant there any info on adding smilies?

Mayb

davslav

Hi from NZ, :howdy:

Well its warmed up a bit so I run downstairs where its colder and rather shiver with cold than be fatigued.Whole November I sufered with uper thighs deep pain 3AM onwards.All the pils I took didn't do a thing untill I was told that I have to take it regulary to build up a level.That did a trick.Now I take Paracetamol(500mg) 4x2 a day and Codeine(30mg) 3x1 a day.

I have given up on ice packs.Now I just put some water on legs from my waterbotle and as it evaporates it cools me down. :snake:Here I sit in my undees and skee jacket,,,,,,funy but b####y lovely. Walk is important and I strugle with my trusty walker about the house as much as I can.But now I sleep the whole night.

Michelle

Too much info about your undies Dav :lmao: I am trying hard not to picture you in your undies and ski jacket. :clap: It's good news that you are now sleeping through the night. Fingers crossed for you :thumbsup:

Mary,

I'm not sure what :howdy: means :hehehe: Maybe you think your Hannibal crossing the alps??? You gave me a chuckle though.

I like collecting wooden or metal cats. Whenever we go out shopping I usually head for the cats instead of clothing. Although, Andrew usually spoils my fun, by telling me that I can't buy any :hehehe:

Back to leg pain before I digress any further. My leg pain has been pretty tame this week. Apart from burning in my head and a dicky tummy I have been ok.

Catch you later

Michelle :heartbeat:

LalalaKirby

*pouts*

The other day the burning started acting up again. Only in bursts, but it was enough to wake me up real early this morning. Such a shame, it was being so very good during my shaky week (I cannot believe that I was so shaky for so long). Now it feels really weak and wobbly with bursts of pain and I'm just so very glad I got a stick when I did. I still feel silly with it, though.

Michelle: d'aww, I hate stomach problems. I'll go from hungry to ill to hungry to full to ill in the space of an hour, and it makes me grumpy. I do hope that tides over soon for you!

Thank you, everyone, for your support and advice! Its really helpful. :)

mayb

Thanks Marina I found the link and hopefully my elephants will all be in the right place now. It adds a bit of fun though doesn't it.

LalalaKirby I am sorry to hear about your leg - I tried the stick trick one day when I just had to go to the dentist - up a hill and up some stairs. Well anyone watching would have laughed I just couldn't get the rythm right and every now and then I managed to kick the stick and send myself all over the place. Luckily it was the fold up type and I folded it up and put it in my bag before I did some real damage. I have tried since with one of those old fashioned long umbrellas with a curly handle. I don't know if it was just because I wasn't so aware of a 'stick' but it did work better and I told myself it was a fashion accessory! :hairraising: Perhaps I should stick to elephant rides.

Take care.

ps I love the lalala bit - it reminds me of my son who used to put his fingers in his ears and lalala at me when I was saying something he didn't want to hear - like no. Come to think of it at 25 he hasn't changed a bit.

Mary

Mayb

Michelle

Instead of starting a new post I thought I would hijack Steph's. :hehehe:

Leg pain has been a nightmare of late...which left me wishing I had legs like Barbie. You know! Detachable one's :rofl3:

Tried popping a few extra pills,resting,massage,etc etc and zilch :hoop: I had to drag myself to the office this morning. I know it's not far (only in the next room) :hoop: But still! it was a blinking hike :hehehe:

I think it was made much worse by me having a go at two young women in a car park yesterday. They parked in a disabled bay, and then sat there pulling faces for a few mins pretending that they were disabled. I should have ignored them, as it's not like me to shout at people :lmao:

Such is life!

Michelle :spider:

LalalaKirby

Some people are inconsiderate like that. When I worked at the cinema in '04 people would park in the disabled bays right outside, and on a Saturday it was a struggle for the real disabled people to get in! I fully sympathised with them (didn't know I had MS at the time, though) and thought it was really unfair. They're called disabled bays for a reason! *sigh* Ahh, well.

Barbie legs would be interesting. You could order a set -- a new pair of legs every week! :rofl3: That would be fun. But its no fun when legs do that. *hug* Helped me a bit last time, don't know if it'll help, but the hot water bottle on the offending leg(s) might help a bit maybe? I don't know, maybe different things for different situations or something...

Lucky me, leg pain's not been around again as of recent (yippee~~!), but my leg just went numb a few minutes ago. I was upstairs, too! That was no fun. Well, till it got to "I'll slide downstairs!" :heartbeat: Good thing I had my jeans on, though, or there might've been a bit of carpet burn to bear later!