The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
crispy

What makes a good forum?

34 posts in this topic Last Reply

crispy

Q. What makes a good forum?

A. You Do!

When I first came across this forum, it had all the basics for being the best MS place on the .Net - Since then, in less than three months, Marina has added even more features to make it potentially even better. The membership has increased and at the same time, friendships have developed. So what is missing?

Yesterday, as an example, between 0630, when I first logged in, and 2330 when I shut down my PC, there were just four posts. There were a fair number of members and guests logged in at various times of the day, but little activity. :no:

I realise that we all have off days, busy times and even brain seizures, but not every member, every day :funny:

Chambers online dictionary defines forum: a place, programme or publication where opinions can be expressed and openly discussed.

Have we nothing to discuss? Have the membership drifted off to pastures new?

If so, then what have they found, and why can't we reproduce it, or even improve upon it?

Please, tell us what you think, things can only get better.

:rolleyes:

................................ :dog: ........................................

All the best,

Chris P

smiffy

I know what you mean Chris, I look at the forum and find no new posts but somedays I just need to take things in and don't have too much to chat about. Feeling a bit low for the last few weeks, have tried to keep chirpy but the computer doesn't always help. Also, I cant concentrate on too many things at one time any more. Running a household has always been my priority, my family understand that I like to be the matriarch and I think they like it that way, and that is the thing that I focus on most day. After that it's my hobbies and friends, included in this category are my forum friends as well as personal ones. However, as my mum used to say "There are only so many slices you can cut a cake into, and no-one wants crumbs". I think that's a really good way of saying that everything you do needs quality time and I have always tried to work like that. I find that if I do try the "crumb" method, nothing is very satisfactory.

I think I'm rambling so I'll go now.

TTFN

Shirley :goldfish:

petac

Hi Chris, Hi Shirley I'm back home!! Had a good time staying with my mother and took some photos with my new digital camera so hopefully will post a picture so you can see my hair!! Anyway, back to the forum, I've missed you all. What makes a good forum? knowing you're among friends and getting a response to your posting. I also do have a look at another forum but haven't recently as when I posted I got no reply and it looked like it was a cliche for their "old" members. So to make this a better forum? Keep talking to each other. Ok so I don't post too often, sometimes its just too difficult, but I do keep looking many times a day. Best wishes to all

Peta :clapping:

Peta

catzzz.gif

crispy

Hi again Shirley :D

I know just what you mean, and of course your family must always come first - I'd hate for anyone to feel my posts are being critical, because really I'm just trying to stimulate a few thoughts. However good a forum is, it would soon dry up if there were nothing for anyone to read or respond to. :clapping:

I'll just try to post an interesting new topic every now and again, just to see what responses I get - there's never any obligation to respond, just when you want to. It's always great to hear from you.

Keep up with the smiling, and have a good weekend,

:crutch:

All the best,

Chris P

crispy

Hi Peta :bye:

Glad you had a good time with your mum, but welcome back :clapping:

We'll look forward to seeing your digi pics, and your hair.

Ok so I don't post too often, sometimes its just too difficult

I'm sure everyone can relate to, or understand that Peta, it just makes it that much more interesting when you can :yes:

On this forum question, you make some very valid points, so thanks for that.

Have a good weekend, and keep smiling, :D

All the best,

Chris P

smiffy

Hi Chris

I wasn't feeling too good this morning and I think that I took out my grumpiness on the forum and didn't mean anything personal, I'm feeling a bit brighter but having a few problems with pain, wobbles and stiffness. Your posts aren't critical, or I don't find them so anyway, you just say what your feeling at the time and that's what this place is for.

I'm glad that you encouraged me to join in here, I find it a brill place to visit whatever mood I'm in.

Bye for now

smiffy

Hye I've just noticed that I'm an Elite Member too :clapping: That has really cheered me up! :crutch:

crispy

:clapping::crutch:Hi Miss Elite, :bye::clapping:

Welcome to the club Shirley :D

I find it a brill place to visit whatever mood I'm in.

That's good to hear, I do too.

Here's hoping that your weekend goes from 'a bit brighter' to grrreat :yes:

Have a good one, :crutch:

All the best,

Chris P

petac

Seems I have a long way to go before I'm "elite" :crying: But suppose that's an incentive to keep posting!!

I went out shopping today something I rarely do and bought some new clothes as we are going out with some friends tonight. The dieting is paying off and having lost 17lbs I'm a dress size smaller :clapping:

So happy weekend to all and keep posting.... I want to be elite too!!!

Peta

Peta

catzzz.gif

Lula_lulabel

Hi guys... I have been posting some info on the site that might make it more appealing or get some people to take a look.

I feel like I got here and everyobody left! lmao... last year you could't move for wilder beast round here! ( remember the advert?)

I have been feeling down too. I go all like a 'hermit' in the cold months. I'm baa humbug too, round christmas. Too much expense for something I personally don't believe in... nevertheless I do have a tree and Santa does stopp at our house! I find it all far too stressful... and this time last year, whilst xmas shopping, was when my bladder would just sponaneously empty with NO warning! LOL I remember the day I had to pick up kids from school, I had just stuffed all the pressies in the garage and jumped in the car(mentally jumped that is), anyway I drove down the road, my bladder emptied and I had to almose park in the playground to get the kids so as not to embarras then cos I had peed myself, LMAO! :clapping:

Right I must go cook the rabble dinner :funny:

Love Lula xxx

sprinkling magic all around

Lula_lulabel

Has any one seen Ron? I think I was supposed to post something and I forgot. The Scottish highlands have swallowed his internet connection and he can't seem to connect... or something like that. Be back as soon as tho :clapping:

:whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Tip toe thru the tulips... :funny:

:tongue: Lula :tongue:

smiffy

Lula - didn't your Mummy tell you it was rude to stick your tongue out at people?

Mind you, I don't suppose Ron would mind!!!!!!!??? :roll: I think Teddy should take him to those highlands and find his internet link and sort out those so and so's that took it from him.

When he gets back we can all :clapping: with him and his furry friend.

Talking about missing people, has anyone heard from Stranding (Anne) :sheep: recently? Haven't seen her around for a while and would like to know what she's up to. Hope she hasn't got tied up in her knots!

Bye for now

dawney-t

Hi Shirley and everyone

Funny you should mention Stranding (Anne) as funnily enough, I woke up suddenly in the middle of the night last night thinking about her!! :clapping: Very strange!!! I suddenly realised she hadn't been on here for a long time. Perhaps she's busy swatting those flies but I hope she's ok. She was doing a lot of posting a month or so ago.

Perhaps its time to send her a private e-mail to make sure she's ok.

How's everyone getting on with the crimbo shopping? I've been really lazy and done nearly all mine on-line. Its great now isn't it - just clicking away and spending millions!! then getting it all delivered to the door. Can't imagine why anyone would want to go fighting through crowds of people, pushing and jostling and usually in the freezing cold :crutch: - NO THANKS.

Well I must make more of an effort to post more often cos I too want to be an elite member and its a long way to go to get 100 posts.

Take care all

Love Dawn

MS diagnosed May 2004, PPMS diagnosed July 2004

smiffy

Your right Dawn, I'll send her a mail now, I'll let you know if I hear from her.

Re Christmas shopping I'm afraid my attitude to Christmas is rather like Lula's and I don't do anything about it until 1 December. I think I said all about it in a previous post so I wont bore everyone!

Anyway bye for now

crispy

Hi all, :crutch::bye::clapping::crutch:

Lula, Peta, Dawn and Shirley, it's great to see you all livening the place up - just for the purpose, it was on a day when I couldn't join in :sleepy:

I too noticed that Anne hadn't been around for a month or so - Has anyone Emailed to check she's ok?

Enough for now - I guess I really ought to get on and shower now :yes: Have a good day all, :clapping:

All the best,

Chris P

dawney-t

Hi all

I did e-mail Anne last night after the discussion about how she'd not been on for a while and I believe Shirley has probably mailed her too, so at least she knows we are thinking of her and care about her.

Hopefully, we'll here from her one way or another.

Love Dawn

crispy

Thanks Dawn, let's hope she is ok :yes:

:clapping:

All the best,

Chris P

smiffy

Yup I emailed too but haven't heard from her yet

"WHERE ARE YOU ANNE, COME IN ANNE YOUR TIME IS UP"[/size

Lula_lulabel

Did anyone find Anne?

:jump_multi: :jump_multi: :jump_multi: :jump_multi: :jump_multi:

Hope she's ok.

:huggles:

sending hugs to you all.

Love Lula xxx

dawney-t

No not as yet - I ain't heard nuffing. Sure hope she's ok. She was so lively on here a month or so ago.

Love Dawn x

josiejones

Hi everyone, hope your feeling good, not been doing much, really, trying to sort out a table top dishwasher, that does not need plumbing in, why is everything you want so difficult, unless its paying bills, they are always on time, cant get to shops, so rely on the web, but little information given, to be honest, I end up going crossed eyed in the end, and end up thinking, its easier to do the washing up instead, well folks will close now, but will be back later take care all of you love Josie

crispy

Hi Josie, :bye:

It's good to hear from you - today has been a bit of a washout with not more than a handful of posts, but I know we all have our problems.

It sounds as though yours are made worse by a dishwasher - Have you thought of paper plates? It might be an easier option :lol:

I'm just about to settle down for the night, so have a good one, and keep on smiling :D

All the best,

Chris P

angela

Bit messy the gravy would make them go soggy !

sorry very short and sweet bye for now Angela

Give a woman the right shoes and she can conquer the world! Bette Midler.

Lula_lulabel

Morning guys and galls :crutch:

We have a stack of paper plates from the cash'n'carry... stacked up in the garage like a replica of the leaning tower of Pizza! :bye: If I feel too rough to manage clearing up after all 6 of us, then out they come... how sad is that??? lmao!

Works for me!

Love Lula :funny:

:whistling: just let another secret go, tee hee

love Lula xxx

smiffy

I've got several "tubes" of drinking cups - we should have a party! :funny: :crutch::lol::cheers::bye::cheers::cheers: :funny: :jump: