The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Marina

Glandular Fever - Epstein Barr - Mononucleosis - Part 1

Part 1: What age were you when you had Glandular Fever?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

Sluggish
Marina

No replies in Part 1, except if you want to say that you had symptoms and blood test results that seemed to indicate you had glandular fever twice even though it's not supposed to be technically possible. In which case, please let us know at what two ages you had glandular fever and what made your doctor think you were having glandular fever a 2nd time.

Having answered the above, please continue to Part 2 http://ms-people.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4279 to let us know at what age your onset of MS developed. You can then discuss in Part 2 if you think there's a connection between your glandular fever and MS.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Sluggish
Marina

I "officially" had glandular fever when I was 17.

Then, when I was about 24 or so, I had a severe salpingitis (inflammation of the fallopian tubes and walls of the womb) together with a lot of bladder problems and (sp?) pyelemitis (inflammation of the tubes to the kidneys). This condition went on for 5 years and was very disabling. During this time (age 27 or so?) I developed other symptoms, and my doctor at the time (excellent chap) was stunned as he said it was identical to glandular fever but not possible as one can't have it twice. I can't remember, but I think I might also have had a blood test which showed the Epstein Barr virus, which doubly confused the doctor.

Marina

standardgiraffe

I had glandular fever when I was 19, I was very sick for months. I had it again when I was 46 again confirmed by blood test. I am not sure when the MS started but had symptoms on and off since my first bout of GF and was not actually diagnosed until 2001 although was invesigated for MS in 1976. The investigations then were rubbish, in fact all I had was an ECG and what that was supposed to prove in relation to MS, I don't really know!! My symptoms got much worse when my mum died in 1996 which led to my eventual diagnosis, I am now really ill with MS and although it has took a long time to take hold, I am convinced I had my first symptoms at 19 with GF, I am now 55. I am sure that the two are connected.

Vegged Out
Shirl

Marina, could you add an option for 'I have not had Glandular Fever' - then I can vote!

However, during the first year of my teacher training in the 70s, I shared a dorm with 3 other girls ALL of whom developed GF and had to go home at various intervals. One was so ill she never returned, preferring to leave the course rather than have to catch up with missed work.

I am sure I did not have GF but I would have been in touch with the virus, that's certain! Do I recall you can be a carrier without developing the full disease?

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Sluggish
Marina

Added for you, Shirl :clap2:

As you know, I set this poll up by request from the mailing list members, who wanted to know results from those of us who did have glandular fever, so it didn't occur to me to add a choice of "I haven't had it".

I can't remember if one can be a carrier without actually suffering from it. It's not a virus (like, say, herpes simplex ie cold sores) that remains in the body forever where one can be a carrier without knowing it, or it would show up in blood tests forever. Therefore, if one could carry it, it wouldn't be for that long?

Marina

davslav

Same here Shirl,newer had GF but some of my friends certanly talked about it.

And I tought how lucky I was.Since I was dxt with MS in 02,at the age of 54, I'm suprised how many are afected close around me.???????????

davslav :clap2:

SeTi^

Hi Everyone,

I had Glandular fever on holiday just before my 18th birthday. I was really ill with it and whilst on holiday took antibiotics which did take the inflammation down but made me really ill. I went back to sixth form and was asleep in most of my lessons so soon left.

My first MS symptoms unofficially happened when I was 26 then I didn't get anything till I was 32. Took them a long time to diagnose me.

According to my medical notes I have had Epstein-Barr/Glandular fever 4 times ! It's appeared in blood result 3 times. STRANGE or what :)

Speak to everyone soon,

Sian

:snail:

You need both the sun and the rain to make a rainbow appear

Nova

I had GF when i was 18, and had to miss a few weeks of college. A few months earlier i also had salpingitis...before reading your post, Marina, i'd never heard anyone mention that word since i had it! Also never made any possible connection between GF and MS..

Sluggish
Marina

I must admit that I've never, till now, heard of anyone else referring to salpintitis either! A subject for a new topic elsewhere perhaps, as it's unrelated to Glandular Fever. I may be wrong, but I think some doctors now refer to salpingitis as pelvic inflammatory disease (aka PID).

Marina

mayb

I never had glandular fever but my sister and brother both had it - my sister had to go to hospital as she was very ill and I think my brother's pancreas was endangered by his as it swelled up or something.

They have both suffered from extreme tiredness after this and it interferred with their studies. My sister went to college in her 20's to make up the lost years.

The strange thing I read about this was that we all carry this glandular fever whatever it is, but it is only activated in some people. Rather weird don't you think? Is this back to the strength of the immune system?

Mayb

Dae9

Afternoon all

I got glandular fever when i was 15 yrs old.

I had been training hard for swimming and we were on last day of competition.

I qualified to represent western Australia that afternoon, 3 hours later I was in hospital with a drip up my arm pumping drugs into me.

my father said i never really recovered the same.

I never made it to nationals....

Is there a connection between Glandular Fever and Ms?

"ET"

Guess I should do more than just vote . . .

I got EBV late in life, age 40, and became seriously ill. It affected my spleen, liver (even though I heeded all warnings and had not one drink during my illness), and I now have another illness which is now known to be from the EBV. I ended up hospitalised for about a month, and was out of work for 6 months, all from complications of it. Withing a year or so I was showing the symptoms I am now, which have progressed over the decade. They are now investigating for MS.

Double-whammy for me from the EBV.

THREE edits! Oh, if I could type! :flowers2:

(Also saw 'form' for 'from' so figured I'd fix the threee at the same time. It's an English teacher thing . . . I cannot help myself.)

Comfortably_Numb

I've never had EBV, but I did have Cytomegalovirus (CMV) immediately prior to my first notable episode, and this also causes mononucleosis. That said, with hindsight I already had mild MS symptoms such as severe dizziness, tingling and numbness. My doctor and neurologist believe that the CMV helped MS develop, and I agree with them. If I hadn't caught CMV I'm quite sure MS would have developed at some point.

And when the night is cloudy there is still a light that shines on me.

Shine on until tomorrow. Let it be.

woblyboy

Greetings,I had Glandular Fever aged 16 ,February-May 1980.This was just before my O levels so I got stuck in, because the thought of having to drop a year was worse than any of the symptoms.I sat the exams,but the 'Markers' didn't take the GF into account

Wb