The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
rachy

Crushing pain in ribs and back?

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

rachy

I woke up a few nights ago with a crushing type pain around my rib cage front and back.. thought oh nooo not another kidney infection ..stayed awake a while and eventually it dissapeard, Woke up next morning feeling fine??

Night before last it happened again, My hubby woke me he said i was wimpering in my sleep and i was holding my rib area..My back was killing and my breathing was awful, It took a good two hours for the pain to ease enough for me to get back to sleep.. I was really scared to go to bed last night and stayed up till i couldnt keep my eyes open no longer.. My hubby made my bed as comfy as possible by giving me extra pillows to raise my head/back i was almost in a sitting osition and slept lovely.. Have anyone had this? Really tight almost like something is sat on my rib cage?

Cheers guys

Rachy xx

Rachy xx

Michelle

Hi Rachy,

Please get checked out by a g.p or the hospital. I have had MS hug before,but I have never had to sleep upright. You might have fluid on your lungs or something. I know you hate being in the gwent,but honestly,dont put up with pain and discomfort like this.

Do you want me to come over and slap your hand? :cowboy:

I had a terrible stabbing pain last year in my rib cage that stopped me in my tracks. A quick visit to the g.p and gwent, sorted out the problem. My g,p thought I had a blood clot on my lungs. Xrays showed no such problem, and I was sent away with anti -inflams that gave me relief from the pain.

If this happens again,get to the hospital or call a doctor. Promise?

Michelle :drunk:

LalalaKirby

Rachy,

I've had crushing pain. Usually it affects me worst while I'm awake, so no sleep troubles, but man is it nasty! If I get a light pain there's no problem, but worst ones I've had have left me unable to move my arms for either a few minutes, or a few hours.

Pigging nuisance when they're out to the sides.

First time I got them, I wound up at hospital (via ambulance). They said my lungs were good and checked my heart, and arranged for me to see the cardio unit who said my heart was perfect. Since at my hospital it appears they haven't heard of MS hug, they were reluctant to call it an MS reaction. They do now, since they don't know what else it could be at this point.

I do recommend going by the hospital, in case they can give you anything for it. These days I'm rather naughty and try to sleep it off (last time I had a severe hug, my chest was left with a dull ache for 2 weeks!), but I'd definitely get it checked. Better safe than sorry!!

I'm such a geek when I draw in breath it's with pixels!

mayb

Hi rachy - I haven't had the ms hug pain myself but I have had plurisy though - this was dry plurisy from having the sides of one lung stick together following coughing for weeks on end with asthma - it really hurt to breath (could only get in really shallow breaths) and the pain was sort of high up in my chest and really frightening - don't think sitting up helped at all though. Just telling you this so you can compare what you are experiencing - as mich sugested it might be fluid on your lung - which is what normally causes plurisy.

A very kind gp came out to see me in the middle of the night and gave me some strong painkiller and sat with me until I went to sleep. How's that for service. Funnily enough the same gp came out on call to see my son and sent him to hospital with a diagnosis of meningitis - my then gp had said it was a sports injury to his neck! A real life saver this one. Might be worth calling a doctor out to see you when this is happening to get a good idea of what is going on.

Take care rachy - I worry about you - all this waiting around is ok for the slow burners like me but you are getting new problems and should be on the top of someone's list for attention pronto.

Hope it gets sorted really soon and you can look forward to a good night's sleep. :cowboy:

Mayb

Oops

I get the MS Hug, but again have never had to sleep uright. That said, I'm fairly obsessive about parking the truck with the "head end" of the bunk higher than the feet, because sleeping with my head down seems to trigger it. I'm fine in a nice level bed at home, though.

I'd get it checked out for safety and peace of mind's sake if nothing else. It's horrible enough without worrying as well.

Apologies in advance if I post then vanish for a bit - I work away from home and will be back at the weekend!!!

Vegged Out
Shirl

I agree with Mish, LalalaKirby, Mary & Oops - the first time this happens to you, please get a doctor. I did and was thoroughly checked out for heart problems, found to be fine.

Now when the MS Hug gets me, I always consult my own Pete who is a first aider. We make sure I have no shortness of breath or sweating etc. Usually, by remaining calm and breathing in deep, exhaling slowly but fully, the effects become less worrying.

All that said, if you EVER have any doubt in your mind, get the GP or an ambulance. NEVER think you are wasting their time.

But with MS Hug, most of us do learn what is right for our bodies.

Shirley  "one day at a time"

jillart

Hi all

Funny this post should come up, but I've been troubled with this for the past month. I have, in the past, had the tight chest on and off, but it has been so infrequent I've never worried about it.

Lately though it has been real bad and I've had trouble breathing. It is in the very centre of my chest and goes through to the same place on my back, like someone is clamping it together. I've also had a burning inside from that point up towards my throat. I've had heartburn before but this is different. It's like when you are out in the freezing cold or have been in a smoky room.

As it happens, I've been to my GP today as I've got an ear infection and have mentioned this to him. He doesn't seem overly concerned but is sending me for an ECG just in case.

I would be interested to know if this is the MS Hug as I thought it was slightly different. Sometimes I get a general tiredness and bruised feeling on my torso that stops me wearing bras and other tight fitting clothes and I can't keep myself upright. Until now I've thought that was the MS Hug.

It would not surprise me if it was as I'm getting other little annoying symptoms, or have found out that things I've suffered from for ages are MS related.

Bye for now.

:winkgrin:

Life has become abstract

Jill (aka Smudge)

jmp1978

I have had all the symptons described in this thread about MS Hug. I have not been diagnosed with MS, and am wondering if it is possible to have to have MS Hug without having MS. Is there another name for it when someone without MS has it?

Christina

Hi

I'm also experiencing a pressure feeling right in the middle of my diaphragm that's starting to squeeze round my ribs. It gives me regular indigestion/heartburn too and I think that's to do with spasms in the diaphragm which is forcing stomach acid upwards. Not much fun is it. I definitely think this is part of the MS hug because I had it badly about 9 months ago.

jmp1978 - no idea what it could be called if it's not MS related, it is neurological in origin that's for sure.

Chris x

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

Loopy

I've had pain and tenderness around my ribs on both sides for last couple of days (mostly the right side today). I thought it was because I've had an awful cough for the last week or so and that I have pulled something or have pleurisy. Breathing, laughing and coughing hurts - bit concerned it might be MS related now......

magna

I too have had the ms hug and would say it was the worst ms symptom I have experienced. It was so painful and it felt like one of those blood pressure monitors squeezing around my torso all the time. I couldn't eat hardly anything and to be honest I didn't get hungry. I feel that it affected my internal organs, it all felt numb inside. This did affect my sleeping. It lasted at least 2 months before it started to subside. I only get patches of tightness now still very uncomfortable though. I'm very naughty too I never would of thought of consulting a doctor, I always feel like I'm bothering them. However, your very right these type of symptoms shouldn't be ignored. :lol4:

Hope your feeling a bit better Rachy :doomed:

Christina

Hi Rachy

When I had the MS hug about 9 months ago, it was pretty severe and I did have to sleep upright in a chair for a couple of nights so it is not unheard of. The pressure in your diaphragm is so intense that lying down just makes it so much worse - I guess it all depends how severe the symptoms are.

Hope you're feeling a bit better hun

Chris x

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

linds

The ms hug can happen anywhere in the body....very unpleasent symptom this one. I agree that it feels lie a big blood pressure cuff Magna.

One time I thought I had Angina as it runs in family BUT LOL i seem to have a good heart but rubbish nerves. Lindsx

Lindsx

ptlike

Hi

Ms Hug couldn't that been a nice thing? :lol4: I had never heard of it before reading posts, I guess I have been lucky so far. I know I shouldn't wrote that I must have been lucky I will regret that :censored:

On a serious note hope you all get relief soon

Take care

Peter

Edited by ptlike