The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
lucky

severe disability allowance

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

lucky

does anyone get the sda benefit. dont want to do a full post now but if any readers get this discontined allowance there are things you need to know.

angela

Hi Lucky

Yes, I get Severe Disablement Allowance, I just qualified for it whithin days of it finishing, so i'm very interested in what you have to say. please.

Angela

Give a woman the right shoes and she can conquer the world! Bette Midler.

lucky

Hi Angela - Please bear with me and see if I can get this over - I actually have done most of it once but then lost it. Anyhow here goes again. I like you just scrapped in for SDA.

I worked for most of my life paying only the married womens stamp. I did this because I don't know how I knew, but I did know in my heart that I had MS and the way I felt I always thought that it would not be worth changing to full stamp as my working life would be over any year. However I worked for a brilliant Company and in the words of Churchill I KBO on a further 23 years.

If you are over 65 years of age you are probably ok.

At the age of 60 I spoke to the SDA office and opted to keep the SDA as my pension. This was all in order. When my husband retired a few years later we decided not to claim the married mans pension but for me to keep the SDA and him a single mans pension (the SDA was a few quid more and gave me some independence)

I was 65 this June and a few weeks before my birthday received a pension enquiry form from the pension office (thought it strange as I retired at 60) however being a law abiding citizen I filled it in

and wrote across it that I had only paid a married womens stamp - I also wrote a letter saying that at age 60 I had opted to keep my SDA as my pension.(I will come in and finish this in a minute - nature calls, I'll do a edit.) Sorry about that - it all stresses me out. - Any how while filling in the form I rang the SDA and confirmed once again all was in order.

Any how after my birthday I checked my bank and was

Michelle

Thanks for sharing that with us. It's does indeed sound that this caused you a lot of pain and suffering. Thankfully,this episode is now over. And it just might save someone else going through what you've just been through. So, once again,thank you for sharing.

Michelle :hearts_circle:

angela

Hi Lucky

Thank you for getting back to me with that very userful and helpful information, my sitruation is a bit different as I'm only 51 and recently very hapily divorced,thank you again for keeping me up to date, and especiallgy going to all the 'trouble' that you went to!

I also lose posts which I find very anoying as they always take me ages, as although I use speech recognition it takes me a long time to put my thoughts into words.

Angela

Give a woman the right shoes and she can conquer the world! Bette Midler.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Expanded disability status scale (EDSS)

Hi   I'm new here and sorry to ask a potentially stupid question. My wife was recently diagnosed with RRMS. As part of the work up her EDSS has been recorded in the notes and in letters. Because of her fatigue she rarely can manage 500m walking. There are some concentration issues and word finding issues which worsen with fatigue. Here swallow is ok most of the time but she cannot manage red meats without care. When we questioned the score given (0) we were told it is correct as fatigue isnt taken into account. Is this right, it seems bonkers to me?   Thanks in advance

in General Discussion about MS

• Severe back spasm when standing

The worse thing now is the spasms of back pain I experience when standing for any longer than a couple of minutes. These disappear the moment I sit down. Has anyone any experience of this or any idea why it happens and what I can do about it? Thank you!

• Channel 4: Are you a dog lover? Do you have a challenging condition or disability?

RESCUE DOGS TO SUPER DOGS Are You a Dog Lover? Do you have a challenging condition or disability? Could you give a rescue dog a permanent home? Have you ever considered that a dog could transform your life? We Need You!   This primetime Channel 4 series will see abandoned dogs trained to become high functioning super-pets, able to enrich the lives of people in need.   Rescue Dogs to Super Dogs will pair homeless dogs with people who have a physical, psychological or neurological disability or condition. With the help of expert dog trainers these dogs will not only find a home and a purpose but will change their new owner’s lives for the better. Hundreds of dogs are abandoned in the UK every day, but with the right home and the right training they could change your life.   If you are interested in finding out more about this potentially life changing opportunity then please get in touch by calling: 0117 3072307 / 0117 3072328 or email: casting3@plimsollproductions.com       Calls to this number will be charged at your local rate, mobiles may vary. Plimsoll Productions will use any information provided by you only for the purposes of selecting participants for the programme and will only share information with the broadcaster and any independent contractors involved in the programme. Unfortunately, we won’t be able to answer all applicants individually.

• dismissal, ill health early retirment, disability discrimination?

any advice really dont know where to turn right now, Hubby has worked for the same company for 17 years, his job has recently changed and there has been several months of conspiracy to get him out, Instead of looking at what adjustments they could make they have been on a mission to prove he cant do the new job with nothing short of lies. The company appears to have followed correct procedure but have lied and fabricated questions to get the answers they require, one of them being can he walk 3 miles. of course he cant but a motorised vehicle had already been discussed with his immediate manager. Its all about the work hours changing and they sold this to him, his consultant and the works doctor as being working 4x12 hour shifts together when the actual hours are mainly 2 on 2 off with the most days together being 3 days and only 2 instances of this in a month! a HUGE difference! Everyhting that could incriminate them is missing from the case management package,( but we do have copies of the majority of them) he had the final stage meeting last week and was given 12 weeks notice, dont actually know what reason it is because he has asked the union rep about going for unfair dismissial and according to him he hasnt been dismissed. According to the case management package he should have been told how to appeal at the meeting and he wasnt, and still dont know ( time is ticking away fro he 14 day deadline) He has said all along that he doesnt want to take early retirement but will be forced into something we cant live on the pension let alone nothing! and being capable of doing a job with the employer that is bound to make adjustments and keep you is very different to getting another job! Hes now been told to apply for IHR although it looks like this should have been done before the final stage meeting came about, I cant see how he can be trying to prove he should have IHR and prove he can work 12 hour shifts at the same time? He was asked to sign a disclaimer at the meeting and offered his notice pay to be paid tax free, he refused they apparantly were quite shocked. From what I can see they wernt actually giving him anything as aits just a different way of paying notice pay. I really think he has more than enough to take this for discrimination I cant believe you can work for an employer and come out of it with nothing but the pension you have paid for and be forced to have no job because of a disability. any help and advice, tired local disability place before he actually lost his job they gave him the phone number of a good laywer and havent been able to contact. he has secondary progressive and in the last 5 months its made him worse than the last 5 years have MS nurse does say its stress, making him worse.

• Disability employment conference - working together

Got this email last night from the open university:   The OU community have been given exclusive live access: to the 'Disability employment conference - working together' online event and we would like to invite you to attend.     The conference is hosted by the Department for Work & Pensions and is a unique opportunity for business and government to come together and identify the challenges that others are facing and provide innovative solutions to be able to tap into this underemployed pool of talent and reap the benefits that this can bring.   Confirmed speakers are: • Ashok Vaswani CEO Barclays • Sir Andrew Witty CEO Glaxo Smith Kline • Secretary of State for Department for Work and Pensions RT Hon Iain Duncan Smith • Secretary of State for Business Innovation and Skills Rt Hon Dr Vince Cable • Ruby McGregor Smith CEO MITIE • Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou, easyGroup • David Abraham Channel 4   The conference will be co-hosted by the Minister for Disabled People, Esther McVey and Frank Gardner, BBC and entertainment by Chicken Shed and Abnormally Funny People.     Been watching since 9am, seems like a great chance to make some real positive steps forward, wish i could ask them all questions though....especially IDS! Although probably for the best!

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.