The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Scully

Foot spasm

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Sleepy
Scully

Hi All,

Hopefully you are all having a 'not so bad day' Thank you all for your kind Birthday Wishes, Clive took me away for 4 days to a swich hotel, we had a suite ! Bed was about the size of a small football pitch, service and food were all fab !

A quick question please?

Muscle spasms are a pain for sure, but often I am getting a really painful spasm along the bottom of my foot, where it arches up, at the same time, the toes bend so far upwards, it's really painful, and nothing I can do helps it, until is just goes away again by itself.

Is this anything to do with MS, or is it maybe summat, perhaps my robotic walk is causing of late?

Thanks all

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

rachy

Hi hun I suffred with this really bad .. My foot went into spasm for weeks.. Neuro put meon baclofen and muscle relaxants which helped loads .. hope this helps x

Rachy xx

Christina

It sounds like classic cramp Scully - does standing on it help at all? It is more than likely a muscle spasm caused by MS. Painful I know - I've had them myself. I tend to get them in spates and then nothing for ages. If it's causing you a lot of pain, you could ask your GP for some Baclofen as Rachy suggested.

Chris x

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Rachy and Christina,

I am on Baclofen, 10mg 3 times a day. The foot spasm seems to come on mainly in the early evening, when I feel washed out and want to sleep.

Standing up doesn't seem to make it go away. I sorta dance around, looking like a complete thunderbird puppet on crack. Sit down again, and finally it will let off.

Odd isn't it, how the feet and toes seem to always play up..................I guess it's coz they are furthest away from the brain,............and it takes longer for the little messages to get there !!............lol

Thanks for your help...........thought I was being a whimp.

Am seeing Neuro again tomorrow in London, will mention it.

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

rachy

I started on 30mg a day hun... but ended up on max of 90mg a day just to ease the cramp off.. speak to your Neuro and ask if its worth uping the dose for a bit .. Its not nice suffering cramps..

Take care

Rachy xx

Rachy xx

Panda

Hi Scully,

I get this but only in my left foot - I thought it was cramp.

It really hurts and my toes go all stiff & move around on their own, sometimes upwards & sometimes downwards. Also the little toes sometimes spread out like a claw. It usually happens in the evening and then once its happened once it tends to keep doing it every 1/2 hour or so.

I've got one of those wheat bags that goes in the microwave and I find that if I put that on my foot to warm it up it helps a bit. I've got to be careful as I cannot feel heat much in that foot & the other day it went all red cus I had it too hot. :hearts_circle:

My husband tells me to stretch it but that seems to make it more painful :wchair:

Clare x

Dianni

Hi hunni

I get this spasm/cramp. God doesn't it flipping hurt???

My hubby pushes and pulls my toes until it goes away. My dad suggested standing on something cold as it is supposed to shock the nerve/muscle. There does seem to be some logic to it but I can't say I've been tempted yet to try it, mainly because 9 times out of 10 when it happens I'm in bed or the bath!

Hugs

Di

xxx