The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Marina

Diagnostic Tests - Which Did You Have

Which of the following diagnostic tests led to your diagnosis?  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

61 posts in this topic Last Reply

lindyhop244

I had an MRI scan and then later a lumbar puncture. As my mum also had it I think the diagnosis was expected.

JellyBellyKelly

I had evoked potentials which were completely normal (at least something about me is) and an MRI which showed very mild de-myelation

The Dragonfly

I had all three tests. Having an MRI with contrast on Saturday.

Herecomestrouble

Mine was 2 numb area's & and MRI so sorry I couldn't vote. xxx

I will decide what to put here one day...........brace yourselves........

Sluggish
Marina

You could vote for " MRI only" if that was the only diagnostic test you had. Numb areas would have been symptoms, not tests :flowerface:

• Like 1

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Nindancer

I was largely Dx after a spinal MRI (coupled with history & a physical examination), I thought I had a trapped nerve and my spinal MRI got me referred to neuro. My brain MRI confirmed it, weirdly I breathed a sigh of relief as I didn't need to have a LP.... Yes, I'm a wimp but I was very scared about the possibility of that!

Sonia x

Herecomestrouble

I was largely Dx after a spinal MRI (coupled with history & a physical examination), I thought I had a trapped nerve and my spinal MRI got me referred to neuro. My brain MRI confirmed it, weirdly I breathed a sigh of relief as I didn't need to have a LP.... Yes, I'm a wimp but I was very scared about the possibility of that!

Sonia x

Hi

I was told I had a trapped nerve, then another GP mentioned MS.

But really, although he didn't say it at the time, my OH had already thought about MS because as he said 'one area of numbness isn't a great worry, but two is, something is going on'. So he was really the one who DX'd me on the quiet!

HCT

• Like 1

wendz

I had OPTIC NEURITIS then a couple of years later i had 1 MRI SCAN then a few yrs later i had a LUMBER PUNCTURE which was needed because they lost my MRI scan results.

i've had MS 12yrs now they've not given me another MRI SCAN or anything else even though its got a lot worse.

sammyj
MRI, lumber puncture and evoked potentials. all positive so not sure why they did them all. was sooo ill after lumbar puncture.

Herecomestrouble

MRI, lumber puncture and evoked potentials. all positive so not sure why they did them all. was sooo ill after lumbar puncture.

My Neuro offered me a LP even though he had already said I didn't need one, of course I said 'no thank you'......why on earth would anyone say yes to such a thing when it's not needed!

SuperNovaKorn

Lumbar and MRI

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Possible MS. Really appreciate some advice ref tests

Hello   My story is a long and complicated one so I will try and keep it brief not to bore you all . I have two other conditions ehlers danlos and Postural Tachycardia Syndrome both diagnosed over 2 years ago after over 20 years of symptoms ,and been told I was a hypochondriac in a nice medical way of course!. Apparently quite common for this with these conditions as rare. So as you can imagine, I don't have much faith in doctors.   I have had various new symptoms on and off for around 5 years. Including, extreme temperature sensitivity, flashing lights/pain right eye, episodes blurred vision in right eye, numbness, burning, tingling in limbs, unable to empty bladder properly need to ISC at night, vertigo, falls and just feeling very faituged and hard to keep up with conversations. In five years I have gone from working full time and studying to managing 2 days and really not having much of a life as so tired and dizzy. I thought maybe this was due to my POTS syndrome getting worse.   It was only when my physio found clonus, sensory loss and brisk reflexes that I saw a neurologist my Gp mentioned MS which freaked me out. An Mri was done by Gp in May and it only showed prominent peri vascular spaces and vascular loop in ear. Which I have been told is nothing to worry about.   Anyway, when I saw neurologist where the POTS was diagnosed , last week he was quite stand offish. This is because I had to complain about the nurses at the same department, as I had been trying to contact them for 6 months and they just ignored me awful really. Before he even tested my reflexes he said I am not convinced you have clonus. He did test them and just said there brisk but normal. He said if I had MS it would definitley have shown in a scan. Is this true?. He is going to repeat scan (without contrast) in 6 months and I think he is referring me to eye doctor, and a balance doctor. I just have no faith in doctors and he was so abrupt but he did soften towards the end, when I tried to convey how difficult things have become. I am not a complainer, I try and get on with life as best I can but I am a shadow of the person I used to be. I have felt quite depressed this year too which is so unlike me just really unmotivated. Too scared to tell anyone in case they put all my symptoms down to that.   I would just really appreciate any advice in reference to tests do these sound thorough was just wondering about lumbar puncture but really do not want one if possible.   Sorry for long post.   Thanks

in General Discussion about MS

• Blood tests

Hi everyone hope youre all as well as can be ive hopefully had my last blood test fo 3 mths if the results of this one are ok then i stay on gilenya which il be very happy with. I still have a lot of trouble getting around on my own ive eventually had to use my stick even for that little bit support, my legs constantly ache and on a night time there so stiff i have trouble bending them, suppose the good thing alot of the tingling has settled down susan x

• diagnosing MS and tests

I have seen 2 neurologists and 3 rheumatologists , one pulmonologist, One ENT , one allergist, gastroenterologist, etc,I have had weird symptoms for 9 months that nobody can diagnosed. It started a few days after I had a steroid shot in my back for a herniated disc. Got Tingling /numbing sensations for a month in one of my feet. That was gone. Then nausea. burning of nose for 6 months along fatigue weakness, pain on my eyes etc.. To add to this , I have 3 brain aneurysms and I was told headaches and dizziness are the symptoms of aneurysms which I don't have. I had a procedure for 1 aneurysm in Houston, Tx and I am going to have another one in June for the 2 small ones. >Can any of you please tell me how long it took you to get diagnosed and what tests detected this. I already had an MRI of the brain, an MRA and an angiogram due to my aneurysms and no white mass was detected for MS,Please help!!The 2 neurologists I saw said there is no way I have MS.Thanks in advance for your help. I have gone through lot with health issues in the past 9 months.

• Todays tests

I had the tests done, luckily enough he said he had enough info from the first tests and would not need to be sticking needles into me. According to the hospital patient leaflet he was supposed to discuss the results with me, but he said I need to wait for my next appointment to come through for neuro. (sorry, I read the leaflet wrong lol, discuss with referring person)I am not taking this as a bad sign but I am so sick of trying to find out what is going on(I think I am feeling this way as I am exhausted from the travelling on the buses). I am 47 feeling 97 lol. So now I am shattered and I want to go and put my feet up for a while. Will get back to you all soon XXXXX  

• New and undergoing tests

I've had ME for 15 years now, since I was a teenager. My doctors are now convinced that I have MS (My mum and maternal grandfather both have MS) as my symptoms are far more neurological.   I had an MRIon my head to check for lesions 18 months ago but had no lesions showing, however I understand that the lesions aren't always apparent and that they cn appear on the spine rather than the brain itself?

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.