The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy-girl

Why stop Avonex if you took it?

1 post in this topic Last Reply

Gypsy-girl

[split from this topic: http://ms-people.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6411]

Baclofen did sod all for me! deazepam is better in my case, also good for weight loss!

Tramodol, well not taken since having ms but had them for my slipped discs! did the trick! be careful tho, very addictive again good slimming tablet :hearts_circle:

stopped my avonex

sleeping tablets, only now and again, again quite addictive.

Deazepam again not for a while, but Doc said may help, not sure due to problems i had before with my back.

Hi There,

Can I ask, why did you stop your Avonex treatment? And what DMD are you taking now?

Thanks, Karen

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Topics

• Plegridy v Avonex

Hello everyone,    I hope you are all keeping well and cool in this heat. I haven't been on here for a while, the last time was around the time I was going to start Brabio in January. Briefly, I was taken off of Tecfidera after having a very low lymphocyte count, prior to that I had been on Avonex for 10 years. It was suggested that I try Brabio, I wasn't keen but agreed. Unfortunately I could not face the really horrendous sounding side-effects - particularly the shortness of breath and increased heart-rate. I was sat at home with the nurse for over an hour trying to gather up courage but just felt unable to have the injection. Now I have been offered Avonex again, or Plegridy as an alternative. I really don't fancy either to be honest, and to me they feel like a backward step. But I have been told that I am 'doing well', a recent MRI showed no new lesions and unbelievably, some old lesions had healed - and that's after taking nothing for 9 months. However I feel I should be taking something, and maybe Avonex or Plegridy might be better than nothing. Have any of you experience of taking Avonex and switching to Plegridy, or even just taking Plegridy? I am frightened of the unknown effects of Plegridy, but feel a fortnightly injection might be a better option than a weekly one. If I can gather my courage, that is!   Thank you very much!   Best wishes, Catherine

in General Discussion about MS

• Plegridy v Avonex

Good afternoon everyone,   I haven't been here for a while, I hope you are all doing okay. I wondered if anyone here has changed from avonex to plegridy - and what their experience has been? I have been on avonex for 10 years but because I am taking methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis, I can't take any of the oral DMT's. I thought plegridy might be a better option. Any thoughts?   Many thanks, Catherine

• About to start Avonex

Ok so finally after a few more 'episodes' i have been told its time to start dmd. I choose Avonex because the once a week injection was more appealing than daily.   I have not yet received my meds but when i do i have to go for training to inject so i have been doing a lot of research about the drug. The injection itself does not worry me too much and i know after the initial one i will be ok with it but my concerns are what i am reading from other people about side effects. I was told what they were flu like symptoms and how to deal with them but nothing about 'rigor' or the fact that the symptoms were quite so debilitating. I am now getting worried as i care for my grandchildren, i dont have them wednesdays or thursdays so thought to inject myself on a tuesday evening but after reading some of the posts here and other places i worry that the effects will last too long or be too severe for me to continue looking after them.   Has anyone had a good experience on this drug or can you give me any personal tips that helped with the side effects?   Trish x

• Thoughts/experiences of Copaxone & Avonex?

Hi I hope you are all doing well? I am looking for some advice as usual!   I have been on Rebif 44mcg since August this year. It has been up and down in terms of side effects, some days I have none and others I am bed ridden, other days split the difference! It's also been upsetting my blood test results and my nurse wants me to try something else,I asked about gilenya but she wants me to stay on an injectable for now.   So my choices are Avonex which is very similar to Rebif and carries the risk of side effects (although only once a week) ,so could be easier to manage than 3x a week on Rebif. Or capoxone which is a daily injection, with very few side effects apart from site reactions and lipoatrophy (sp?) The downside I can see of the daily injection is that it has shown no long term affect on disability, the beta interferons have done much better in trials, which is a major consideration for me as I'm still youngish! If anyone has experience of these drugs I'd really appreciate your thoughts/experiences.   I know I have to chose what's best for me and I'm lucky to have a choice, since so many have no choices at all, but I would appreciate any advice you can throw my way.   Thank you Laura x

• please help - serious self injection anxiety with avonex

In desperate need of advice! Ive been on avonex 3 months now, side effects have reduced and i love that its just once a week but im having the hardest time getting over self injecting anxiety, and it is getting worse, last week i had a big disaster and cried all night about it and havent been able to do it again. Im so desperate for it to work out because i like that its only once a week. Ive tried distractin myself with music, tv, chocolate

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.