The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
baward

What type of hoover? Upright or cylinder?

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

baward

Hi all,

I still try to keep as fit as I can by doing the odd spot of housework and recently we have realised we need a new hoover (aka a vacuum cleaner). I can walk reasonably well and can get around the house ok most of the time so I like to do what I can.

The thing is, what type of hoover do people favour? Upright or cylinder? We have had a cylinder up to now, which is much more flexible than an upright, except that an upright is lots easier for me to manhandle and push around.

Any opinions?

Thanks,

Ben icon1.gif

brainless

hi Ben

Highly technical question and one that I'm not really qualified to answer - should see the layer of dust in my place! - but, having said that, I'd never go for upright. Having to hold my arm in such a fixed position would definitely be a problem. Same reason dat I never iron (my story n I'm sticking to it!!!)

:squiffy::think::dunno: , Lottie

Lottie, x

LIVING IN THE MOMENT

Sluggish
Marina

I've always preferred an upright for that "beat as you sweep as you clean" action as well as being easier for me than a cylinder that I have to yank at to move it about. With uprights, I have the Sebo (not cheap) as it's lighter than most uprights and easy to push around as well as to change dustbag or remove rollers etc.

If one's preference is a cylinder, then those daft looking "Henry" ones that shops, hotels, plumbers and builders et al seem to use really are brilliant and roll around fairly easily after you even if they sometimes get stuck on corners. One can also buy lighter weight tubes for it - this place sells Henry cylinders a tad cheaper than elsewhere - http://www.cleanstore.co.uk/products/Product.asp?ID=203 - and with every accessory there is - http://www.cleanstore.co.uk/products/produ...uum-Accessories (just make sure you get the right ones for your model).

However, these days both are a bit difficult for me due to my back problems and achy legs and fatigue etc. So I invested in an

last week. That thing is a little marvel!!! Hysterically funny to watch it for the first time go round its business too. Excellent for anyone disabled as all you have to do is touch the button to set it off (and then clean the brushes afterwards). If you've got a cat, it may hate or love it!

But, it's very expensive... but worth it as far as I'm concerned, especially as I hadn't hoovered for months :dunno:! It does an excellent job too, I was so surprised as I honestly thought it was going to be nothing more than a fancy automatic carpet sweeper, but it's not, the carpet pile was nice and lifted and spotless. It also got into all sorts of places I was always too knackered to bother with. I got mine from Lakeland for the simple reason of Lakeland's lifetime no quibble guarantee:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/F/keyword/roomba/product/22230

If I'd bought it elsewhere and there was a problem, I'd apparently have to pack it up and send it to Germany for repair or replacement :eep:. It doesn't do stairs though... yet :think:

Some people say that it tends to stop working as efficiently after a while, but apparently this is because they don't clean the brushes from hair etc after each use.

Oh, and Lottie, you're not the only one who doesn't iron anymore :squiffy:

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

ptlike

Hiya Ben

Upright downstairs and cylinder upstairs, my cylinder way better for stairs

Best wishes

Peter

Summer

My daughter always buys ours, she always buys a Dyson because we have a split level home with four sets for stairs and it sits on the stairs easily.

It is easy to pull around and unlike the old sausage dog type (we had a sausage dog Hoover in the sixties which I used to ride as a child lol) it swivels easily too.

The tools are attached so they are always to hand and we usually get lots of years out of them :hearts_circle:

Christina

Well I have a Miele cylinder that I've had for years and I use that once a week but in the meantime I use my fantastic GTech electronic carpet sweeper (

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

Sluggish
Marina

I've got a Miele cylinder too, had it before I got the Henry. It's so heavy though, so it's been sitting in the cupboard unused...

I've also got one of those carpet sweepers - mine's a "Light n Easy" which it is! Same principle at the GTek one (which I also have, LOL). They're great for a quick sweep! My Light n Easy is old now though and not working as well (the dust trays get totally stuck)... The GTek is better in some ways as it does edges and, as Chris said, one can remove the long handle to make it short handled for doing stairs, but I don't think it's quite as "easy" to push around as the other one but the difference is minimal.

Oh, and with the Roomba, I forgot - one doesn't even have to push the start button, as it has a "schedule" thing which means one can set it as a timer to do it at the same time 7 days a week, or just as a one-off (eg, when out or asleep).

Marina

baward

Thanks all for your replies (especially Marina who seems to be on the point of opening a vacuum cleaner museum LOL). I am on a

happyandy

I find that the best cleaner has two breasts and loves shoes.

However they can be a bit temperamental and costly to maintain

It can be a bit hard to pick up a pristine model but there are plenty to pick up second hand but they tend to come with a few useless accessories.

Andy

If I knew I was going to live so long I would have taken better care of my body

brainless

It can be a bit hard to pick up a pristine model but there are plenty to pick up second hand but they tend to come with a few useless accessories.

Andy

sexist sod!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lottie, x

LIVING IN THE MOMENT

Summer

Ah now I would fit into that stereotype :hearts_circle: but without the shoes, I would prefer books : )

Sluggish
Marina
(especially Marina who seems to be on the point of opening a vacuum cleaner museum LOL).

:lol4: Yes indeed! Count so far:

• 2 x Sebo uprights (1 upstairs, 1 down, so's not to have to cart it up and down stairs).
  • 1 x Miele, in retirement in upstairs cupboard in case cleaning lady might one day want to use it. Previous cleaning lady (have none at the mo') ignored it in favour of Henry and Sebo.
  • 1 x Henry
  • 1 x Light n Easy sweeper (downstairs)
  • 1 x GTech sweeper (upstairs).
  • 1 x Roomba 555
  • 2 x Handheld mini cylinders, thinking they'd be useful for stairs, but too much of a pain to keep emptying tiny dust containers etc.
  • Oh and a couple of steamers for floor or carpet washing (brilliant! ... when I have energy to pull them out)

Next stop might have been the Scooba for washing floors, but it won't be as it doesn't do laminate... :cry:

I am on a

Marina

baward

Well, I got myself a GTech SW10 (