The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Teen

Tomatoes too late?

104 posts in this topic Last Reply

Lindyloo

Hi Teen just took a peek at your website. :wink: .. really nice and informative...dont know much about veggie growing... but hopefully will learn lots about it here..

As i am a florist i know a bit about plants and flowers etc

I grow lots of different flowers and love experimenting.. :lolbash: :wink:

love

lindyloo :eep:

LindyLoo xx

" This moment will pass " (Bono U2)

Teen

OK hands up who has had blight either tomato or potato :hearts: I did on both. Totally gutting it was, as the previous week my tomatoes were fine and the next they were just a mess and not worth keeping. Fortunately I was not alone, even those with greenhouses and those that had sprayed against it got it too.

My onions were looking a bit dodgy and I believe they had their own form of blight (not the same as tomato/potato) but I pulled them all up and have eaten some of them already. Another success has been my courgettes I've eaten quite a few of those. I've had a few runner beans but to be honest wasn't impressed by them and I'd forgotten to pick them and they've run to seed. I'm going to grow french beans next time as I like those better.

I seem to have a huge amount of butternut squash growing and am already wondering what I'm going to do with them all! It's only one plant too!

I'd love to hear how you guys have been getting on with your veggies!!

debzsanderson

Hello Tina

I have been reading your posts with interest.Unfortunately our "garden" is a few pots on a raised table. I think if we ever moved to a bungalow with a garden I would get professional landscaping with Mark in mind so he can wheel up to raised gardens etc and look after them. I love squash - they make a great stew or even roasted in the oven Mouth now watering!! lol). I have childhood memeories of eating peas straight off the plant - funnily enough when they cooked I don't really like them!!

You certainly have a lot of valuable and interesting knowledge - you should go into business with this!!

Debz xx

Mark has PP MS but I am his partner and do the posts as he cant use the computer!!

Teen

It is funny that you should say that Debz as I still feel I don't know a thing about gardening. Its life time of learning I think when it comes to gardening.

You know you can grow veg in pots don't you?

linds

Tee What a great idea growing veg i pots. Could i do that indoors Linds

Lindsx

Lindyloo

Hi Guys

Firstly no body should be afraid of gardening- it really is very theraputic... My son grows organic veggies at school.. My sister grows all her own organic veggies too and i know it is very easy to do so.... Have a bit of confidence guys.... My garden is beautiful ... i am very proud of it... so ... if u are interested get ideas from other peoples gardens and dont be afraid to ask in garden centres they are very obliging....

I grew tomatoes WOW... ya know they were gorgeous....Ask for Tumbling Tom or Moneymaker...you will have tomatoes coming out of your ears and there is nothing nicer than your own ... I put mine in grow bags...

I also grow in window baskets my own herb garden... Mint, basil, parsley,oregano and rosemary...

If you would like something fragrant grow lavender in pots by your front or back door.... the smell is so beautiful... at the moment i pick the lavender and make my own lavender oil... also pick it to line my drawers and wardrobes and stick it in the hoover..... Great for helping you to sleep under your pillows...

Must go .... sunny again today... hubby is cutting the grass.....

p.s for winter pots try mixed heathers and winter panseys for colour ...

I also plant lots of tullips (my fav flower) not until november... in pots also!!!

It is stunning when they start to flower bringing soooo much colour into the garden... Also at the same time in pots if you like pot up daffodils.... These can be divided up at the end of each season...

Go girls& boys theres some of what i get up to ????

Hey i also have 3 little kittens at the end of my garden.... ???? realllllll cutey pies...

LindyLoo xx

Lindyloo

:cheerleader3: :wink: :you-rock:

mi owwwwwwwwwwww

LindyLoo xx

Teen

Hi Linds,

Sorry for the delay. Yeah you can grow some things indoors. Depends where indoors, do you mean in a greenhouse or on your kitchen window sill? I've grown chilli peppers on the window sill, you can grow herbs as well which is handy for cooking if they're on your kitchen window sill.

Lindyloo

There are some lovely house plants to grow.... yucca plant, cheese plant, apidistra plants are all really easy to grow.. and Kentia palms for something more striking and is great for foliage for flower arrangements..

we had a lovely sunny day again today.. Gosh we really appreciate having a bit of sun...

Anybody growing strawberries?

LindyLoo xx

Teen

Hi there

I just wanted to let you know that if you love Tub Trugs then you can buy a bargain at Tescos at the moment. They are selling 42ltr tubs for just

debzsanderson

I love anything pink!! (Mark hates me for that!! lol)ppose my next job will be taking out all the dead stuff.I love the Astilbae(spelling??) as it just dies off and you cut it right down to nithing then like magic it regrows next spring!!

happy gardening everyone

debz xx

Mark has PP MS but I am his partner and do the posts as he cant use the computer!!

morphinehell

Hi teen

I love playing around in the garden too

But what a awful year eh? veggies a poor show and so many problems

Even the flowers couldn't make up their minds whever to flower or not?

The best show was my pear tree and that went nuts (couldn't give them away quick enough)

But even after such a bad year can't wait till spring to start again

Steve xx

My Dog ATE my signature

Teen

To be honest the rain hasn't bothered me too much. It saves me watering! It does have a tendency to rot some of flowers though which is a shame. The thing probably I hate most about rain is the mud, it sticks to your spade and boots and you. Especially because it is clay soil.

I've been fairly lucky with my Squash as I've heard on the TV and in mags that people have had trouble because of the weather. I ate my first one the other weekend. I did however have a little pumpkin instead of a bigger one so... It was big enough to carve out and put on my desk so I was happy. Never grown one and never carved one before and I have to say I was feeling unwell that day when carving it and it really cheered me up.

Teen

Teen

I have been quite busy on my allotment plot. I am trying to make it so it will be much easier for me to handle next year by separating it into lots of smaller beds with grass paths.

I have a new shed and have rearranged my pallets to make two compost bins instead of one. I have also make a leaf mould bin and filled this with leaves from work. I also have one of those mini greenhouses as well which I got a bit cheaper on eBay. This will be used as a coldframe at my plot.

I do like autumn as it gives me a sense of catching up and doing what I've wanted to do for ages. It also gives me the hope that I will be able to take care of the plot better than this year. I had an awful lot of weeds and no enthusiasm to get rid of them to be honest.

I also have this silly notion of trying to win the prize of best allotment plot next year in July. I am daft aren't I. Its a great way to motivate myself anyway.

Best wishes

debzsanderson

there is no reason why you shouldnt win the allotment prize-it sounds like you put a lot of effort nito it and even if you didnt win then I am sure the enjoyment and satisfaction you get from it will still make it all worth while. I think I am going to get some new tubs for outside the flat and make them nicenice and colourful with spring bulbs-when is the ebst time to plant them and how deep do the pots neeed to be? I like a challenge!!

debz xx

Teen

Easy I know that one ha ha just been planting them up at work. Plant then now and plant them deep about 4 inches deep. Tulips especially. You don't want them to come up too early.

Its funny that you mention tubs because I've just done two today for myself. One for my allotment and one for home. They've got primroses and pansies in. They look very cheery for this time of year!!

Michelle

Andrew put our daff bulbs in the other day. I can't wait to see their sunny faces. I love Autumn. Andrew has had pleanty of leaves to put in the recycling bin. I manage to use the fishnet to pull out a few leaves, that have flown into the fishpond. I do hope our fish get through the winter,so that they can kill each other at spawn time :welcome: Nature hey?

Michelle x

Lindyloo

I harvest my leaves into leaf mould its excellent for soil improving...Dig it in and watch da buds next year..

LindyLoo xx

Lindyloo

Are any of you going to plant tulips this year???

These are my favourite - the colours they come in are magnificent-

Just a wee tip !!

If you planting up a few pots of tulips put the tulips at the bottom of pot equally spaced out ... put your soil on top and then on top of this soil plant miniture daffodils..then repeat with soil again on top...

This display goes on for a while and it is so pretty..

Also plant tulips 1 week apart in groups... this way you will have a new display each week... Use different colours...

Happy gardening

LindyLoo xx

Michelle

Andrew raked up the last of our leaves yesterday. I have been watching the last of the leaves fall from the culprit tree :eep: It reminded me of that old film 'Autumn leaves' ? I think that's what it was called. You need your tissues out for that one.

Still, I can't wait to see my happy daffs.

Michelle :wtf:

gareth

it's time to start thinking about the new growing season!

brussel sprouts, purple sprouting broccoli etc will need to go in soon (well, a month or two) and i've started buying chilli seeds for the plants to live on the sunny windowsills.

what's everybody growing this year?

at the very least a bin or bag of potatos is super easy and tasty for those inclined and with a bit of outdoor space.

everybodys got to believe in something

i believe i'll have another beer

Michelle

We are thinking of planting a small tree out in the front garden. we haven't decided on what type of ground cover we will be using in the back garden. So it's think tank time.

Michelle :flowerface:

Dianni

Oh wow! I just got round to reading this forum/thread!

I LOVE my garden. In 2007 , it was beautiful. I'd spent loads of time replanning, putting in paths, growing toms and q's in the green house and even had a veg plot with carrots, cabbage, cauli, broccoli, onions, garlic, lettuce and peas. I propergated most of the plants, flowers and shrubs.

My grandson 'helped' meon a regular basis. However last summer my dog died at the ripe old age of 16 and as daft as it sounds, I couldn't go into the garden because it felt so wrong with out her.

I did adopt a new dog as my other dog, Molly was fretting as much as me (well that was my excuse and I'm sticking to it lol). Harvey is a HUGE 2 year old black german shepperd. After an ederly Vizsla and a small terrier, my poor garden wondered what on earth hit it when Harvie arrived!!!

My mobility went down hill rapidly in October and I've been really limited since. I've given up on the veg plot for this year as I simply can't dig it over and can't guarantee I'll be able to water and weed it. The only member of my family who is remotely interested in gardening is my dad. He's in his 70's now and struggles with his own bit of garden so I thought I'd relieve myself of one stress and just have toms and q's in the greenhouse.

I did manage to do a fair bit of hand weeding earlier in the spring so there aren't as many weeds in my flower beds as I feared. I did bribe my 19 yr old daughter to plant me some shrubs I'd propergated, but then Harvie and Molly decided they were in the wrong place and promptly dug them up!! Luckily I managed to rescue them and over the last couple of days.

I am finding it really frustrating because I can't do a quarter of the work in the garden I did this time last year. I have really enjoyed pottering but have suffered at night lol. It was well worth it though. I cut some rhubarb yesterday and made a crumble with it for dinner.

If I ever figure out how to post pics, I'll put some on of the garden last year. It needs a lot more work this year before I put any new ones on lol. The snow we had was far too much for the dogs to resist and their playful charging about chasing snowflakes and digging holes has completely ravished the lawn though it does look a bit better now my hubby cut the grass (bless him. I didn't even have to bribe him!!!!)

Now my grandson and his little brother have come to live with us, they are 'helping' filling plant pots for potting on and watering though more goes on the kids than on the garden lol.

I'm really hoping I can keep doing a little bit a day and by August I might just have a garden agian.

It's been inspiring reading the posts on here.

Thank you.

Happy gardening

Hugs

Di

xxxx

Michelle

Hi Guys,

Can we have all gardening tips here in this section. I'm being a neat freak,and trying to keep subjects on track :lol4:

Michelle :lol4:

Christina

Bulb planting time of year again guys and I've been planting up pots and putting bulbs in spaces in the garden. Doesn't help the lower back pain though I have to admit.

Any good ideas for a couple of big pots. I run out of ideas after a bit and like to try something different every year if I can. I've just planted some ferns with cyclamen round the base and that looks nice and I've got some tulips to plant out in November.

Bloody leaves are starting to fall all over my lawn now - they give me so much work every year and I can't tolerate the weight of the garden vacuum we've got, so have to wait for OH to do it and he doesn't do it as fast as I would like.

Chris xx

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....