The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Teen

Tomatoes too late?

104 posts in this topic Last Reply

Michelle

How about some pretty heathers?

Michelle :kisslips:

Teen

Hello all,

Wow can't believe I haven't written anything here for almost a year. Bad girl!

I hope that you are all feeling well.

I've had a lot of stuff go on this year including somehow becoming head gardener at my place of work. I am not sure how permanent this is, it is a bit of a trial basis to see how I get on. So far so good though!

Glad to see so many people interested in gardening as I am. I'm glad you manage to somehow get around some hurdles. My only hurdle is being constantly tired. Being part-time with breaks between days definitely helps me.

I hope I can maybe help a little bit with my own ideas and experiences etc. Keep up the good work!

Christina

Hi Teen,

Nice to meet you! I love my gardening - it keeps me sane, but I haven't been able to do as much as I'd like lately. I'm just about to get round to planting some tulips, narcissi and crocus in large pots. Should keep a reasonably long display going. I've got naughty squirrels who dig up my bulbs if I don't plant them deep enough.

Feel free to pass on any tips - I'm quite a good amateur but I've still got lots to learn.

Chris x :hearts_circle:

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

Teen

At work I get the squirrels planting their own bulbs! Conkers! I emptied one container and it had about 8 in there along with the old plants.

I'm still learning and will probably be learning until I'm very old and still not know everything there is to know about gardening. That's what keeps me interested.

Take care

Tania B

Hello fellow gardeners!

I love gardening too and I really have very much to learn. Just being in the garden and pottering is so close to nature, therapeutic and calming. This year I took great pleasure in simple things like harvesting lettuces from seed and seeing the tulips emerge in my front garden which I'd forgotten I'd planted. Visiting National Garden Scheme gardens and other gardens with friends and relatives was both inspiring and socially life affirming.

It's pleasant outside now so I shall wander out in a minute.

Teen - I took a brief look at your website and will revisit soon as I'm very interested.

Wishing you well!

Tania :flowerface:

Michelle

I am quite enjoying raking up the leaves and putting them in my recycling bin. I enjoy this, as the rake's obviously got a long handle which I can manage. I can't do heavy work about the garden,but I did successfully grow peppers,and tomato's this year in pots. I also like to cultivate herbs which I cook with.

I also enjoy looking after our fish - mainly feeding,and making sure the water is just right for them.

Then there's the birds. I love watching them feed,and sip water from the waterfall, which runs into the pond. It's a work in progress really,as we inherited a concrete jungle.

So, happy gardening guys

Michelle :flowerface:

Teen

Wow its really nice to read your posts and feel that we are all like-minded when it comes to gardening. I'm glad that you can all manage to do something. Growing veg is especially rewarding as you get to eat them at the end :flowerface:

Thanks for taking a look at my website, Tania. Nice to know that somebody does ha ha

I've not been terribly up-to-date with it recently because of goings on at work, but I hope to add lots more stuff when I get the energy.

Well I hope you all have a lovely week and keep growing!

Dianni

Hi all :flowerface:

The plan for today is to clear the last of the tomatoes from the green house and make some green tomato chutney! Then I'll have room to put the fuschia plants into the greenhouse for the winter. I'm also hoping to get some pots planted with bulbs. (OK so maybe it wil take me all week rather than a day but I can hope! :lol4: )

Chris, I have had success foiling the squirels by putting a couple of layers of chicken wire about an inch below the top of the compost in the pots. The bulbs grow through the mesh ok.

Hugs

Di

xxx

Christina

Good idea Di - I shall try that one. Thanks. I've also got some bulbs to plant up in pots but don't know how much I'll get done - feeling a bit fluey I think or maybe it's something else. Anyway did get the wallflowers in yesterday!

Chris x

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

Lindyloo

Great idea about the tomatoes Di - i must have a go at that...I know how much you love your garden, really glad you are potting about..

Big hugs

Lindyxx How do you make tomatoe chutney??? sounds delicious :flowerface:

LindyLoo xx

" This moment will pass " (Bono U2)

Dianni

I didn't actually get anything done yesterday. Had a lousy headache but still, the intention was there :lol4:

I got the recipe for tomato chutney off the internet. I'll not post the link/recipe until I've tried it though :rofl:

I love setting seeds and potting them on. My grandsons help (anything Alex touches flipping grows! I've had more tomato and basil plants than I've known what to do with :cheerleader: )

I think part of the pleasure I get from seedlings is that it's something I have a modecum of control over. I choose when to sow, pot on and plant out/ give away/sell. With everything else in my life I have NO control over, I love my plants!

Hugs

Di

xxx

Lindyloo

awww poor you Di.... I hope that headache has passed today.... i hate headaches..

I wish you could give me some basil Di... do you collect alot of seed at the moment? with spare tomatoes growing do you squeeze the seeds out and dry them and pot on?? i havent a clue but would love to know..??

Look forward to hearing about the chutney - Mmmm

big hugs Di

LindyLoo xx

ptlike

Hi All

Got some tomatoes about 6 inch tall just potted them, have I a chance of getting any fruit? Would a quick splash of the black stuff help? Lindies cure all :lol4: Or should I pretend to be Andy and read out his elliquently written posts? :hehehe: Or have you any advice? Oh maybe they will be neglected for a week or two 'world cup' Andy you won't be watching so hows you fancy nursing my plants for month :mooning:

Any tips would be appreciated

Best wishes

Peter

Heste

Your tomatoes will will be fine as long as you keep them watered. This is why you have half time in football matches, so you can water them without missing any of the match. Of course between matches you will be either too depressed to water them or celebrating so half time is probably the best time.

They will bare fruit, be it a little late in the season. I wish I could say the same for the football team.

Regards,

John :mooning:

Michelle

I agree with Wise John. I have tumbling toms in my hanging baskets. Mine where a little late,but are looking the part for any bottle of kechup.

Moving your post to the gardening section...Yes! We even have one of those.

Michelle :mooning:

Dianni

Hi fellow diggers!

My tomato plants are a lot smaller this year than they were last but then everything is late or slow this year it seems. I'm hoping that mine will catch up and I'll get some toms. My mistake was that I actually set the seeds instead of giving them to my grandsons to do. They planted sunflower seeds and I am now the proud guardian of 47 sunflower plants about a foot tall. Now all I have to do is find somewhere to put them all!

Hugs

Di

xxx

Michelle

:hearts_circle: Di

I have about 10 sunflowers that our Emma planted. One lot aren't looking too grand,so I gave them a spray last night. Will take some pics of them when they flower.

We have been picking from our salad bowls for several weeks,and are really enjoying the fruits of Andrew's labour.

Happy gardening all.

Michelle :love:

Lindyloo

lol i say go with the Black stuff with your tomatoes sitting on a nice piece of fillet steak Mmmmm

as you sit down to watch the world cup!!! big beefy tomatoes niceeeeeeee

LindyLoo xx

ptlike

Hi John

Ha :love: England will do ok I believe. Hope your right about baring fruit

Best wishes

Peter

Your tomatoes will will be fine as long as you keep them watered. This is why you have half time in football matches, so you can water them without missing any of the match. Of course between matches you will be either too depressed to water them or celebrating so half time is probably the best time.

They will bare fruit, be it a little late in the season. I wish I could say the same for the football team.

Regards,

John :hearts_circle:

ptlike

Hi Michelle

How are the tumbling toms ? Do they fruit ok ? Do you keep them outdoors? I saw them advertised when in n ireland never seen them before. Astonished you have gardening section :love:

Best wishes

Peter

I agree with Wise John. I have tumbling toms in my hanging baskets. Mine where a little late,but are looking the part for any bottle of kechup.

Moving your post to the gardening section...Yes! We even have one of those.

Michelle :hearts_circle:

ptlike

Hi Di

:love: I have no sunflowers and my mistake was I let my son water first batch of tomatoes and they died from too much :hearts_circle:

Not confident they will produce fruit

Best wishes

Peter

Hi fellow diggers!

My tomato plants are a lot smaller this year than they were last but then everything is late or slow this year it seems. I'm hoping that mine will catch up and I'll get some toms. My mistake was that I actually set the seeds instead of giving them to my grandsons to do. They planted sunflower seeds and I am now the proud guardian of 47 sunflower plants about a foot tall. Now all I have to do is find somewhere to put them all!

Hugs

Di

xxx

ptlike

Hi Lindy

Yep that sounds super :hearts_circle: But don't know if mine will fruit by then :love: I knew the black stuff would be a great help :crazy:

Best wishes

Peter

lol i say go with the Black stuff with your tomatoes sitting on a nice piece of fillet steak Mmmmm

as you sit down to watch the world cup!!! big beefy tomatoes niceeeeeeee

Michelle

Pete,

My tomato's are outside. It's the first time that we have grown them,so will let you know how they turn out.

Michelle :huladancer:

Lindyloo

Mish tumbling Toms are one of the best varieties to grow - you will have a great crop with lots of toms...LOL

Give them a feed once aweek of a good liquid tomato feed.. and dont let them dry out and makesure to remove sideshoots.. cane them too!!

love Lindyxxx :cheerleader:

LindyLoo xx

Michelle

Lindy,

They are of the hanging basket variety. So no caneing required...she says,lol.

M x