The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
norma

Music

62 posts in this topic Last Reply

norma

I am a big music fan. Anyone else into their music. I find it gets me through bad patches in life.' My favourite is Gerry Rafferty.

ddgorgeous

Norma,

You know I have music nearly always on, I guess it is something I have done for years. I find of the TV is on I am drawn to it, everytime it is quiet I look to see what has happened. With music on, I can still get on with something else.

Virgin Radio Classic Rock is on nearly all the time here and the pc is wired through the house with speakers in every room, having broadband makes such a difference

I had Gerry Rafferty's Greatest Hits as a copy of a relatives cd until the pc crashed here and I lost the lot, it was a great cd.

Apparently he now lives as a complete recluse in Sussex somewhere on a farm house. Part of his outbuildings have been converted into a sound/recording studio.

Take care and best wishes,

Ron :howdy:

ppms, dx 2001

Hils

Hi Norma,

I'm not really a fan of pop/rock etc other than the good old 60's and 70's sounds, but I do love the songs from the big musical shows and films where I can sing along. (drives my husband and sons balmy). I also love Gilbert and Sullivan. My family think I'm stuck in the dark ages, but hey, each to his or her own. :howdy:

Hils :wavebunny:

If you can meet with triumph and disaster...and treat those two imposters just the same...

norma

Hi Ron Good to hear from you. If you like Gerry Another World his last Cd is really good. He has another double Cd due out quite soon with a bit of folk on it. Should be good I'll let you know. Gerry lives in Hampstead,London and he in indeed does have a recording studio in his house. He does live a bit of a reclusive life prefering to not live the "celebrity lifestyle" I think that is one of the things I like most about him!

crispy

Hi Norma, :wavebunny:

I've always been into my music, but my tastes are a little more mellow than Ron's.

I'm into The Corrs since seeing them a few years back in Exeter, and Kylie of course.

Since getting into MP3s, I've been building my collection of oldies, mostly songs that I previously owned on vinyl. In a previous existence, I owned hundreds of the things, particularly the disco era. I'm slowly converting the best tracks from hundreds of CDs to MP3 format, and then creating my own compilations. It's good to have an interest.

It's good to talk with you, :howdy:

................................ :dog: ........................................

All the best,

Chris P

norma

Hiya Hils Och it wouldn't do if we all liked the same type of music! There is something for everyone out there. I prefer bands of the 70's also being a teenager then! Gee now you know my age!LOL I have a really varied music taste. Rafferty definately comes out on top. Then its anything from Scottish Ceilidh stuff Eagles,Clapton Led Zepp, Classical ,Norah Jones, Diana Krall,... The list goes on!

ddgorgeous

Chris,

Andea Corr...............sheesh!

How can 3 spunky sisters end up with such a brother?..............The violin looks a better instrument all the time!

ppms, dx 2001

norma

The Corrs are great Crispy I love irish music. Christy Moore ,Van Morrison,Goats Dont Shave,Saw Doctors,etc. Really I dont think much bad music came out of Ireland to be honest they seem to have such a gift.

ddgorgeous

Norma,

Thanks for the Gerry Rafferty info, I heard years ago that he lived somewhere in Sussex, maybe it is my memory up to go good again, it won't be the first time.

Apparently he was born in Paisley on the outskirts of Glasgow and I think he did some music with Billy Connolly many moons ago.

I guess I always liked the music I heard him do, but I was never really a fan. It was only when my sister had the LP years ago of City To City I even listened to him. The sax sounds superb, I will need to see if I can get hold of his cd's again....you have put me in the mood for some Gerry Rafferty now!

ppms, dx 2001

norma

Yes Ron Gerry is from Paisley. He lived in Kent years ago and it was a farmhouse he had there. City to City is a great album. Gerry Tam Harvey and Billy Connolly were The Humblebums! They went their seperate ways and Gerry along with Joe Egan became Stealers Wheel(stuck in the middle with you). Gerry is on his own now and I think he is sounding better than ever. Ron I might be able to record some of the stuff for you if you like. I sound like a right groupie eh!? LOL God forbid!

dawney-t
I also love Gilbert and Sullivan.

Hi Hils - well don't be too jealous but I'm off to the theatre tonight to see 'A feast of Gilbert & Sullivan'. Probably be some of their more well known excerpts I expect, but I'm looking forward to it.

:howdy: Dawn

P.S. I'm another 70s music lover!!

MS diagnosed May 2004, PPMS diagnosed July 2004

Hils

Hi Dawn

Another G & S fan. hooray. :wavebunny: Great to sing along to. I hope you enjoy the show tonight- I expect it'll be great, is it a professional production?

I once played the part of the Police Sergeant in our college producion of Pirates of Penzance. (Mind you I'm going back over 30 years now) and it was an absolute hoot.

Enjoy your evening.

Hils :howdy:

If you can meet with triumph and disaster...and treat those two imposters just the same...

dawney-t

Hi Hils

Yes, its only the best - stars from the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company!! So should be really good.

Funny how most schools and colleges do G & S productions isn't it. (P.S. My school days were also around 30 years ago!).

:howdy: Dawn

MS diagnosed May 2004, PPMS diagnosed July 2004

ddgorgeous

Norma The Groupie!..............lol,

I am amazed that you are from near Perth, I was beginning to think I was the only person from Scotland with a pc!

If you can record any Gerry Rafferty music I would be so appreciative of a copy. I have been humming 'Baker Street' to myself all day since I read your first posting about this.

I am off to hum my way through making dinner, take care and best wishes,

ppms, dx 2001

norma

I'll do that for you. Oh by the way Ron I suppose it was HUMMMMMble Pie for Tea?! LOl Cheers for now. Norma

ddgorgeous

Norma,

There is always plenty of HUMBLE PIE in this house..............Teddy loves it!

If you can create any copies of Gerry Rafferty music it would be great, it is ages since I heard any........................I still cannot get it out of my head! James Bond is on the telly just now, so maybe the tune from 'For Your Eyes Only' will replace it, sad or what? lol

ppms, dx 2001

petac
Talking about music, my daughter and I went to see Rufus Wainwright at the Cambridge Corn Exchange last night. He was brilliant :howdy:

Peta

catzzz.gif

crispy

Hi Ron,

I just recorded a copy of Baker Street, thinking I could post it for you, but even in MP3 format it is almost 6 MB. I could try Emailing it if it's any good to you - just say the word.

All the best,

All the best,

Chris P

ddgorgeous

Chris,

That is a very kind offer thank you.

At 6mb it is not a small file to post or email, I would be more than happy to mail you a cd if you could burn a copy onto that it would be great.

If you could, just send me an email with your mailing address for snail mail and I will get a cd in the post to you on Monday. I know my local Post Office closes tomorrow lunchtime being a Saturday, it has caught me out a couple of times. Maybe I should send Teddy at 3pm tomorrow!...........the exercise will do him good!

I still cannot get Baker Street out of my head, it is bugging me big time after reading Norma's first post on this.

ppms, dx 2001

crispy

Hi Ron,

I'll send you an Email as soon as my brain wakes up a bit. :howdy:

All the best,

All the best,

Chris P

norma

I will get my act into gear tomorrow Ron and I will record some Raffery stuff for you! Poor Teddy you must be driving him mad singing Baker Street! I like Baker street but it's not my favourite. The guy is a pure genius as you will hear very shortly! I read the Teddy stories by the way Ron and they were absolutely brilliant! Teddy is a star! You are very lucky to have him living with you so be really nice to him ALWAYS!

ddgorgeous

Norma,

A big thank you for any Rafferty stuff. It is years since I heard any of his music, but any time I do hear anything, I always think it is very good (I iknow it doesn't make sense does it?)

Teddy and myself have slightly different tastes in music..................he loves 'The Wombles' and is going through an 'Amarillo' moment just now. I think it is Sooty and Sweep in the video he likes!...........either way, I can see him getting a trip in the washing machine at the spin cycle again! He is almost in a trance infront of the TV just now, I was never allowed to be up this late when I was his age!

Ron :love:

ppms, dx 2001

norma

I vaguely remember being sent to bed shortly after The Magic Roundabout!I will Definately send you some stuff! Music is meant to be shared I always thought. Norma.

norma

I can just see Teddy doing his Amirillo bi! Does he do the dance as well! :cheerleader: Did you see the video of it when Ronnie Corbett comes a cropper! :cheerleader: It was@nt meant to happen but they left it in! :love: Bet old Tony Christie thought he'd never have another number one! How many copies did Teddy buy! Good bloomin luck to him I say!

ddgorgeous

OMG,

When I was a kid, I won a Magic Roundabout competition on the back of a Rice Krispies box, it was a colouring book of all the characters.

Do you remember Dylan on his bike?................he always looked so spaced out, it was like he was on a different planet from Dougal and Florence!

Teddy is into Trumpton in a big way, I don't know how many times I have seen that video now, I am sure he gets Hugh, Hugh, Barney, and McGrue from the Firebrigade round for a beer and a game of Poker when I am not in!

Ron :love:

ppms, dx 2001