The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Tania B

Can't change my avatar. Help!

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Tania B

I want to change my Avatar to another file that I have downloaded from my computer. I can download the file, at a small enough file size but can't replace my old avatar. How do I make sure my new file is selected? Please help.

TB

Sluggish
Marina

Tania, what happens when you try to change it? - IE, when in the "Edit Avatar Settings" window, then clicking on "Browse" to find the image on your computer, then clicking on "Upload a new image from your computer" and then clicking "Update Avatar"?

Are you sure it's no larger than 25k, and that it's either a .jpg, .jpeg, .gif or .png file?

If you've already got an avatar when trying to change it to another one, have you tried deleting the old one first by clicking "Remove Avatar" and then adding your new one?

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Tania B

Thanks Marina.

I must have done it correctly bur it didn't update straight away. Today my relacement avatar is working by magic.

Tania :headscratch:

Tania B

I spoke too soon. Now I'm at home my old avatar is showing up on all my posts and topics. My uploaded file shows as an uploaded file but when I click "update" I have the following message: "No avatar was selected, please go back and correct this error". So how can I select it? I'm confused again.

TB

Sluggish
Marina

Try deleting whatever avatar there is first, that is to say, click "Remove avatar".

Then upload your image again (as described in my earlier post above) and click "Update Avatar" and see if it works this works this time.

If it doesn't work, let me know again :headscratch:

Marina

Tania B

Thanks Marina. I did all that you have advised and then chose one of the stock images in the meantime. I received complaints that my first avatar was too depressing.

Tania x

Sluggish
Marina

Awww... Tania, your avatar didn't seem at all depressing to me! :headscratch: I liked it, it looked like a really rather nice black and white artistic sketch or painting, and thought it stood out and made it memorable and therefore easy to recognise it was your avatar. Was it one of your own sketches?

Apart from which, I don't think it should make any difference if an avatar may seem depressing or not; everyone might have a different perspective of what "depressing" means when it comes to images. For anyone who's into art and knows of, for instance, Goya paintings, then those could well be interpreted as depressing (or spooky, LOL) but are worth a fortune and some people like to use that kind of image as avatars on other forums.

The stock images are fairly rubbish, LOL, but are there for people who either don't have images of their own that they'd like to use or who aren't computer savvy enough to know how to reduce image size and upload etc.

If your first avatar worked OK, could you not try using it again and not let what other people think about it worry you? :banghead:

Marina

Tania B

Marina

You are kind. Yes my avatar used to be a woodcut (cut into hardboard) self-portrait, print inspired by one by Auguste Macke. It was personal to me and how relaxed I feel pottering in the garden.

By the way, I like some of Goya's work especially El Perro or the Dog. I think I read an article featuring it some years ago one of as Joan Bakewell's favourites.

I suppose with the avatar, a change is sometimes as good as a rest.

Tania :headscratch:

Tania B

Well Marina, I've finally managed to add a new avatar using a photo I took myself in my garden and it happens to be quite sunny nd cheerful. I discovered the Macro mode on my lovely new birthday present camers.

Tania

Sluggish
Marina

Aha, well done Tania! Love the flowers! Aren't modern day cameras wonderful? :clown:

Not meaning to go off-topic, but it's unusual for someone to know about Goya unless they're into art of that era or type I guess, so I'm impressed that you do. Not all of his paintings were spooky, just the "Black" ones, he was an excellent artist though.

Have fun with your new camera :lolbash:

Marina

Tania B

Thanks Marina. Yes I'm really pleased with camera and am looking forward to exploring it's features.

I'm interested in art generally and work for one day a week in the library of the art college linked to the further education college that employs me. It's like being a child in a sweet shop having access to so many art books and helping the students feed their imagination. The work of Goya is often researched for his images of war.

Tania

Edited by Tania B

Dianni

Hi Tania :toiletwait:

Just wanted to say that your new avatar is fantastic! I did like your other though as it was a piece of your own art. You are obviously a very talented lady!

Hugs

Di

xxx

Tania B

Thank you Di. You are very sweet. I'm really quite ordinary and just like to play sometimes.

Tania x