The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
magna

Can't walk on my heels

21 posts in this topic Last Reply

magna

Does anyone know what this shows? I know Neuro's ask you to walk on your heels but I don't know what it means if you can't. It's bizzarre I can walk backwards ish however I do fall over but cannot go forwards on my heels it feels like me heels have been superglued to the floor. My ankles don't bend far enough so I end up sticking my bum out and leaning forward to compensate. Very hard to explain and hilarious to watch also. :hearts_circle:

jeni

Hi Magna,

I must admit I have not noticed that but later on I am going to give it a try, will give you an update!

Just wanted to say "Good Luck" with your neuro appointment tomorrow.

Take Care.

Love Jeni xx

Hezza

No idea Magna! I don't recall being asked to walk on my heels. Will be thinking of you tomorrow :hearts_circle:

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

magna

Give it a go Jeni if you can't do it it's so funny and keep me updated :lol4:

Thanx Cara I'm so nervious but it's nice to know people are thinking about me:hearts_circle:

Tania B

Magna,

I'm not sure what a walking on your heels test shows but I suspect that it looks at the "foot drop" can can be related to MS.

Take a look at this link regarding various tests Diagnostic tests.

Good luck with your appointment and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Tania xx

Bernadette

I don't think I've ever been asked to do that!

jeni

Hi Magna,

Well that was a strange one! I tried your test and and I did not really have any problem with my heels/feet doing it, and I have a dropped right foot which is completely numb!!! The balance thing was a different issue trying to do it, but I could walk on my heels.

Good Luck once again for tomorrow.

Take Care.

Love jeni xx

Christina

I tried it earlier and find I can walk on my heels. I think the test gives some indication as to whether a particular sensory or motor function is being affected but I can't say that I've seen it used that often in day-to-day practice.

Chris x :welcome2:

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

jeni

Hi Chris,

I bet we all looked good today trying to walk on our heels.

I followed the link about Symptoms and MS today, and saw the one about placing your heel of one foot onto the shin of the other leg, I said to Garry well that one is easy for me as well!!! He said it would be, I assume you are supposed to be standing on one leg doing it!! and there I was laying on the setee doing it.

Take Care.

Love Jeni xx

Christina

No, you were right actually Jen - lying down is exactly the right way to do it!! If your foot slides right off then it shows a problem.

Chris x :pig:

happyandy

Hi

Ive heard that if the base of your feet are scratched the normal reaction is for your foot to curl up but if your toes point upwards it means something is amiss. Ive also had the heel against the shin test in a medical. And of course the old stick pins in the foot test

Never heard of the walking on heels however ...

Andy

If I knew I was going to live so long I would have taken better care of my body

Christina

The Babinski test Andy - it tickles!! lol!!

Chris x :pig:

jeni

Thanks Chris,

I know at times I do get muddled, but for once I was doing something right.

I did enjoy reading that out to Garry!!!

Love Jen xx

Tania B

I was asked to do the tandem gait walk, which is to walk a straight line while touching the heel of one foot to the toe of the other with each step. See this link that explains this and other neurological examinations Gait exam.

Tania

Dianni

That was really interesting Tania. I never questioned why I was asked to do these things!

The heel down the shin test was one I couldn't do. I just could not co ordinate to do one heel down one shin but could the other.

I've never tried to walk on my heels until I read this thread and of course I had to try it and no, I couldn't, but I can walk on my tip toes a bit better. I can't balance to do the heel-toe walk either.

As you say Jeni, I bet we all looked right fools trying various ways of walking. We should start our own Ministry of Silly Walks as Monty Python did! :crazy:

Hugs

Di

xxx

jeni

Hi Di,

Well you have started me off once again!!!

I have just tried doing toe to heel and cannot for the life of me do it, so if we do our Monty Python walk! I will walk on my heels you can try it on your tip toes and we will get someone else to do the toe to heel! I think that should cover it between us should'nt it?

Take Care

Love Jeni xx

magna

Hi well I tried doing it again and can just about manage 2 steps on my heels so I think it's because the back of my legs are so tight and it stops me bending my feet up to walk on my heels and therefore throws me off balance. If that makes sense. I think trying to do it has stretched my muscles and helped a bit. :crazy: Every1 is gunna be walking around on their heels now and I'm not going to be held accountable :lol4:

Appointment with neuro went well and he answered alo t of my q's. It really helped going with notes and a list of symptoms that I've had previously. He thinks I had a relapse in 2006 now. So I would recomend doing that.

Jeni, where if you have any, are your lesions? Do you know I'm just curious :lol4:

Tania B

Magna,

Well done for going armed with notes and questions to your appointment with your neuro. Did he/she ask you to perform any of the "funny walks" on examination? Was this your first examination and has he/she lined up any further tests for you?

Tania x

jeni

Hi Magna,

I am glad that your Neuro Appointment went well for you.

At the moment I am awaiting the results of my VEP'S and EMG Tests. My MRI's of brain and spine did not show any Lesions.

Hope that this helps.

Take Care

Love Jeni xx

magna

Hi Tania No he didn't ask me to do any funny walks and to be honest we had so much to talk about I didn't get chance to ask him. This will be the 5th or 6th time I've seen him since last year. He's done some more bloods as alot came back last time ANA's and dsDNA anti-bodies amongst so many others so he wants to keep an eye on those. He's going to see me in 6 months so thats good too. He was quite interested in previous symptoms I've had which he thinks will help towards a diagnosis but will find out more in his letter. It's always an on going process isn't it :butterfly:

I hope you get your results soon Jeni :hearts_circle:

leah

I havent been feeling well and decided to do the walking on heels test and found myself with my bum stuck out and bent forward exactly what your describing without wanting so i was looking it up on net and came across your post i could believe you described the exact thing .....i have been ill for ten years now and i have one doctor that says i have lupus a rheumi and now a neurologist that says its ms????