The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
norma

What do you collect?

48 posts in this topic Last Reply

norma

Anyone here collect anything unusual? I have wee fads of collecting things at times! I would love to really add to my wee collection of crystals,stones from all over the place. Not huge ones but I like stones. If anyone goes on holiday I ask them to take me back a stone! I collected as many Ladybird books as I could a few years ago but havent got any room for any more! Not the new ones the old ones from when I was a kid. I always popped into Charity shops and jumble sales just in case and always found another one! I must have well over 300 up the loft! I kind of like shoes as well- dont ask how many pairs I have! Im not telling you any more incase you think I'm crackers! :howdy:

petac
I love collecting well illustrated children's book. I say its for any grand children I might have, but really I just like the pictures!! I also collected cat ornaments and owl ornaments, not sure how many I have now but people tend to give me some each birthday and Christmas

Peta

catzzz.gif

juliamitchell65

Me, i collect dust and useless information!

I did collect stones too but my step-daughter chucked the lot out so she could use the bowls they were in.

My other half being a cowman, collects anything cows. I hate dusting them as a calf is around

Susie

I collect Rupert the Bear annuals. My Dad starting getting them for me at Christmas when I was six- now I have 21 consecutive, mint-condition annuals. He places the order in August just in case they sell out before Christmas (not entirely sure that would ever happen).

Rather cleverly, I keep my collection in Dad's house in Ireland, thus avoid cluttering up my own flat here in Scotland.

My partner collects 'small things', which he presents to me and I stack precariously on our Buddha. I guess I'll have to get a letterbackie for them eventually!

Susie

Lula_lulabel

:angel: I collect wooden boxes :boxing:

(It was the closest smilie to a box, lol!)

I have unusually carved ones and brightly painted ones...

I even have one which has a secret way of openning!

(took me 2 days to work out how to open the bloomin' thing!!!)

I have a round wooden box too... I suppose it's a dish really, come to think of it!

I have wooden jewellery boxes, all filled with trinkets and cheap costume jewellery because I remember looking in my nan's button box when I was a child... it seemed so fantastic rummaging thru the buttons, I want my children to feel that feeling too. Less of the video games and TV, and more books and reading, and searching thru mummy's boxes, it's great!

I buy all my boxes from charity shops, or am given them as gifts...

I have one box that was painted by aboriginies (sorry for the dier spelling ;o)

I never pay more than a fiver for any of them, but they usually only cost one or two pounds.

I have friends all over the world always keeping an eye out for me, for that unusual or pretty wooden box. If anyone sees something unusual in box form... in a thrift shop... grab it when you see it, I'll pop a cheque in the post inc. P&P

I will take a few pictures and post them, so you can see!

Cheerie-O

Love Lula x

sprinkling magic all around

Lula_lulabel

sorry they're a bit out of focus... my eyes are bad today and my hands are so shakey, it's a wonder I took the pictures at all, Lmao!

here's another one!

norma

Nice one Lula I will keep a look out for wooden boxes for you. I may even have some at home if I can find any I will send them to you. :angel: Norma

Lula_lulabel

Thanx Norma that's really sweet of you hun, love Lula x

:angel::boxing::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose:

Michelle

I collect men,lol...

I don't really!!! :angel:

IRISHCOLEEN

i collect old care bears :nuts:

I have 30 so far. Once ive collected all the big ones im gonna start on the wee ones :cheerleader: Ill take a pic when im feeling a bit better and energy levels are higher! They are ugly little things but cute. (that sounds a bit Irish :irish: )

Rachael :cheerleader:

Proud to be Irish

Lula_lulabel

I have a thing for shoes too!

oh the shame of it Norma... I have many many pairs of shoes from flip flops to thigh legnth black PVC platform boots!

My most recent addition was some brown suede knee high boots with lace-up detail at the back. They were a bargin! Reduced from

nikia43

My husband and I collect Dragons (as you may have guessed!!!)

Unfortunately in our little one bedroom flat there really isn't enough room for all of them the two of us, the cat, the dog and the VERY large fish tank!!!!!!!

Guess what our project is next year :cheerleader:

Niki

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

stranding

Nikia, why should we guess that you collect dragons?? Or am I missing something here?? (quite possible, being me... :nuts::cake: )

I have a thing about stones, too, but my absolute favourites are ones with holes in. I hang these up with handmade rope pushed through the hole and a fancy knot if possible. If the rope won't go right through the hole, then I might have to resort to glueing, but that's cheating, really.

The finished ropey stones are supposed to be decorative (they do for things like light pulls etc) but they might also come in handy if I ever got burgled :cheerleader:

Wish we lived nearer the sea with a lovely stoney beach.... (sigh :irish: ) If anyone stumbles across a stonewithanhole, please think of me first ... :cake:

I also have a collection of inflatable yarns (at least that's what they turn into when they arrive here

Remember to KYPU at all times...

(Keep Your Pecker Up)

Ppms 20-ish years.

norma

Hiya Nikia...........I have a collection of dragons. I will get round to taking some pics sometime for you. I havent bought any for years. You do get some really lovely ones though. Ann if I see a stone with a hole....it's yours! Norma

stranding

Hey, :nuts: thanks Norma! :cake: I'll owe you big time.

Wonder how many stones throws away from each other we are?? :cheerleader::irish: (Perhaps that's not a good idea :cake: )

Ann

:cheerleader:

Remember to KYPU at all times...

(Keep Your Pecker Up)

Ppms 20-ish years.

Michelle

Didn't care bears have love hearts on their chests and didn't they make the world feel a better place? lol.

Can anyone remember 'sprites' ? I think they were out on sale around the same time as care bears. Or were they something to do with care bears?

My memory fails me:angel:

Michelle

P.s I had to throw my collection of men out when i met my old man :mummy:

Sluggish
Marina

I like to collect hand-crafted glassware, whether painted or etched or worked in some way or another. When I was younger, I also used to collect those small glass animals, the very small one. I have quite a collection of glassware now and no more place to put any :eek:

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

IRISHCOLEEN

yip Michelle thats care bears, ugly little beasts in some ways, but kinda ugly nice. I had one as a kid and kept it. They are from the 80's. Ill take a pic of my collection when i unpack them from a box i havent unpacked yet since moving house about 3 weeks ago. (dont know what sprites are?)

Rachael :angel:

Proud to be Irish

smiffy

Well, think I've joined this conversation a bit on the late side but - I'm here anyway!! lol

I collect dust

Things I can make other things from when I get the time ( ha ha ha),

and STONES yeah my garden is a veritable geologists paradise!! They, and shells, are my holiday souvenires (sp?).

Bye the way Anne, when my daughter was very small she found a chalk pebble with holes and brought it to me saying that she had found a stone WITH NOSTRILS!!! It was such a lovely, innocent, funny and giggly moment that even now she is 24 I remember it like yesterday.

I'm off to bed now so, Happy New Year all speak to you in 2006

Shirley :rose:

Tilly

I collect Betty Boop stuff.

I have a lot of handbags so I suppose it is a collection and if Betty Boop is on them then all the better!!!

Michelle

I bought my daughter Betty Boop stuff for Christmas this year. It made a difference from her wanting more Winnie the Pooh stuff. I think she is going through a pink and black phase,lol

Michelle

I am collecting wooden cats at moment and anything that is red,tasteful and not toooo big. :welcome2:

Tilly

Oh yeah Mish I started to collect wooden cats at one stage but only got as far as 6!!! I don#t think that amount is a collection!! lol (I have more handbags than that)

davslav

Well,,, I colect shares.Mostly useles ones.

Something to do on computer.

Davslav

"ET"

Egg cups!

And knitting wool . . .

And buttons . . .

Elise

P.S> Oh, and dust (well, that's what I tell people who tell me the house needs dusting: "No, it's a collection. Mustn't disturb.").

smiffy

I have a back garden that looks like Chesil beach - mounds of pebbles and driftwood around the veg and roses, a front garden that is a geologist's nightmare! with fossils and minerals from all the different time periods jumbled up with core samples from various bridges and yet more driftwood. That's just outside.

Inside, well there's the dust of course, think I've mentioned that before (they should ban those vacuums with hepa filters, they take the lot, how can a girl keep up a good dustball with those around), then there are clothes for ironing, drooping plants to water, odd socks to round up on a regular basis to keep them under control.

Now, what else. Ah yes, I used to have a collection of dirty pots - they really caused marital problems - however calm is now restored in the shape of a dishwasher.

Cant type any more but will get back with the rest at a later date lol!

TTFN :chickendance: