The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
norma

What do you collect?

48 posts in this topic Last Reply

Sluggish
Marina

Hiya Smiffy, haven't seen you around in AGES! Hope you're doing as well as can be :chickendance:

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

mayb

I used to collect elephants - I have put out a message now that I don't want any more thank you all as it was becoming a problem. I hate not keeping all the gifts my boys have bought me over the years so I have boxed them up in the loft. :chickendance:

Now I appear to be collecting paper - bills mostly but also all the trash that comes in the door with the post. I have started to set a day aside to clear through it but it always leaves another pile of 'to do' stuff that I just can't get done.

I have started to collect white feathers. My mother told me that these are little tokens from the spirit world to show that they are close and looking after you. Ten minutes later I went out to my car and there was one sitting on the windscreen! I can't afford not to believe in such things and I find it comforting now and I always pick them up if I see one. Probably totally mad but I can live with it. If you start looking you will find that you hardly ever see a totally white one. Unless you are fond of pillow fights of course! The other benefit is that they take up so little room.

Mayb

Heste

I collect Zebra. Not real ones you understand, I don't have the space. I have a horse and he doesn't fancy sharing his stable.

So I have a collection of Zebra ornaments and soft toys instead. Then I collect anything that has Zebra stripes. My wife keeps me in check though. I am not allowed to wear anything Zebra striped (except my Zebra T-Shirt and new black and white scarf)

The really useful thing about having this sort of obsession is that it makes it so much easier to choose things, like for example my credit card was selected as it has a Zebra on it. As does my mobile phone, my mug, my cup mats, my duvet cover, my mouse mat, my chair cover, my pen, my CD case and loads of other things. If it isn't actually Zebra striped then it just has to be black and white.

The other useful thing with this is that everyone knows what is mine...its the black and white one.

My Land Rover remains just plain white. My wife has seen to that too. :think:

And then, you know that problem of buying presents for people? People never know what to buy. Well, I make it so easy. Just look round the shops, see something Zebra striped and that will do :rofl3:

Mind you I am very difficult to reason with...I tend to see everything as very black and white. :thumbsup:

Of course it helps to be a little bit crazy. Life is too short not to indulge in a little Obsessive compulsive behaviour every now and then.

Regards,

John "Oh for a Zebra Smilie" :chickendance:

mayb
:rofl3: Heste I just love your take on things - don't give up on those stripes!

Mayb

Michelle

I'm allergic to feathers :hurra:

Michelle :rofl3:

P.S My credit card has a Tiger on it...Sooo beautiful. And no I don't collect tigers. But I am getting to adopt a real one for my birthday next month :hurra:

Aldo

used to collect rugby programms from my club (Gloucester rugby) or as i like the cherry & whites! first one i have is from eary 1990's black and white print 4 pages!

now they are costly and 60 odd pages and glossy.

probelem is they are not mint condtion.... walking (staggering) home from club bar/pub at silly o'clock in the morning they tend to get a bit battered or wet! not that this happens anymore :rofl3:

Please ignore my spelling.. I struggle at the best of times!

Vegged Out
Shirl

I collect owls...not real ones! All ornamental. In my previous life (first marriage and all that), I had enough for three glass wall cabinets. When I left, I split the collection up and handed over two-thirds to charity. Very sad but I was going into a very small flat.

Now we have a lovely corner cabinet with my owls beautifully displayed. The latest addition is a magnificently bejewelled creation from Egypt - like a Faberge egg. It was brought to me by a new friend who went there on holiday, had noticed the cabinet and bought the owl for me 'because she could' and wanted to say how pleased she is to have each other. We both live in these apartments where most people are out a work all day. o to have someone to have coffee with occasionally is marvellous. Thanks Jacq!

Owl_on_a_branch.gif

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Jayneanne

I'm a bit of a sheep girl. Must come from living in South Wales LOL

Funny thing though that whenever they come as a gift they are BLACK, now why would that be I ask myself???????

Got lots of Shauns and various breeds and fur types and just love them to bits

Yours sheepishly Jayneanne xx

Bah for now

Jayneanne

We make a Living by what we get, we make a Life by what we give

Vegged Out
Shirl

Hi Jayneanne

As such a sheep lover, I think you'd like my blog Lola the Lamb which is some innocent fun!

Sorry to self-promote, but it fits the topic here.

Jayneanne

AAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhh Shirl. I love Lola she is a dream.

I have just spent the last, I don't know how long, reading yours and Loa's Blogs - they are brilliant, well done

That has given me a lovely start to my day, thank you both

JAXX

Jayneanne

Vegged Out
Shirl

Hi Jayneanne - glad you enjoyed them!

Michelle

Love the pic of Lola in the showercap. Bless!

Michelle :flowers2:

scubachick

I collect teddy bears, archtophile, mainly harrods year bear, the have the year on the foot and steiffs.

This year's bear:

2yy80sj.jpg

Tracy

--------------------

There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness!

mayb

That is just so cute. I have a new grandchild and now I am collecting just about anything pink - she is the first girl to be born into our family for about 14 years and I am just pink crazy!

Mayb

Lula_lulabel

Wow... that's wonderful news May :wink3:

hope u can post a picture of her for us... what's her name???

CONGRATULATIONS!

love Lula x :hoop:

sprinkling magic all around

mayb

Thanks Lula - she is called Grace and was born on 7th December as the most wonderful Christmas present. The one good thing about being off work is I can indulge myself with a visit whenever I want. I will try to post a picture but that one will be a learning curve for meon here so it may take a little time. I handle pictures all the time at work so it can't be too difficult can it. :hoop:

xx

Mayb

Jayneanne

Hay Grandma congrats

Lurve PINK - that is why we chose a little girl to adopt!

Bad news though is that she now has a little boyfriend and he likes green and she is refusing to wear any pink clothes at the moment cos they are yucky!

Love the teddies too Lula can never have to many can you?

JAXX

Jayneanne

Jayneanne

Having bad days with memory/cognition, sorry scubachick once again - your teddies not Lulas duh!!!!!

Had a few late nights and am daft as a brush at the moment. This morning after I finished brushing my teeth I spent 2 or 3 minutes turning the tap off , when it dawned onme that I was rotating the plug which was lying on the sink. I experience incidents like this throughout the day but the only people I can share them with are you guys. Everyone here thinks I am just off my trolley - which I probably am too

LOL JAXX

Jayneanne

Teen

Could be worse you could mistake your toothbrush with the toilet brush and give your loo a nice clean... and then forget and brush your teeth again... no I've not had this experience yet, but you never know. Only jesting JA I hope you aren't offended. I'm as bonkers as you are so you're ok! :eat:

I have a tendancy to get up to do something and absolutely forget what it was I was doing. I mean normally you remember after a few seconds, but sometimes I just don't remember and go and sit back down again. I don't tell anyone too. You aren't alone on this one.

Is it very warm where you are JA? I've been suffering with my brain not working on 100% this week because of the heat. Thankfully it is cooling down a little bit. I think lack of sleep isn't helping matters. I feel like a zombie at the moment.

keira

I collect fairies and cherubs. Recently I too have started to collect dust.

debzsanderson

Mark collects anything to do with Arsenal and old british coins. I collect cherish teddies and Ainsley China (butterfly style).

debz xx

Mark has PP MS but I am his partner and do the posts as he cant use the computer!!

Hezza

Bruises :nuts:

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

mayb

You are not alone on that one Jayneanne - I burst into tears at the docs trying to explain to him how I had been brushing my teeth with my toothbrush (got that bit right anyway) and I knew there was something definately wrong and in the end rememberd that I hadn't switched it on - it is one of those battery operated jobs and I have had one for years. I think he really thought I had lost the plot as I wasn't making myself very clear through all the blubbing. It was the last straw in a series of similar boobs. In the end it was thought to be down to the tramadol I was taking and stress combined to turn me into a gormless eejit. Now I am not taking the tramadol I have no excuses. The worst bit was not being able to come up with the end of a sentence I had started or get the right word to come to mind.

Collecting dust - I though everyone had that hobby. And bruises - well that is another subject altogether as is the rest of this particular post. How did we get here from what do you collect - anyone remember? :nuts:

Mayb