The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Leanne

Waiting time for MRI results

26 posts in this topic Last Reply

Leanne

Hi guys

I was just wondering how long you had to wait on your MRI results? My story so far is...I started getting numbness/tingling in my hands, arms and face and experiencing dizziness in January, after various blood tests from my GP I was referred to a neuro in February. I had my first and only appointment in May where I was told MS is a possibility. I had an MRI just over 2 weeks ago and now.....??? I have no idea, I was just wondering how long I should expect to wait. The radiologist said that my neuro should have my results within 7 to 10 days therefore am I being impatient?

Thanks

Leanne

lisajo

Hi

Have you thought of phoning your neuros secretary and asking when and how you will receive the results or maybe visiting you Gp and ask him/her ?

I would push it as much as possible.

Lisa xx

I asked for a best friend and got a few chocolate labradors.

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Leanne, give the Neuro Consultant's Secretary a ring. Hopefully, you can sort it out in one phone call and you can then stop worrying.

Well, as much as anyone can stop worrying, given the circumstances.

:mjackson:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Countryguy

I was tiold 10 days .. then found out my neuro was not back at the hospital for over a month !! :mjackson:

In the end my doctor chased up my results but got told my brain was fine and just some inflamtion on my spine ... deep sigh of relief from me thinking its nothing then see neuro at weekend who says infection or MS :wave2:

Procrastinating
Stumbler

I'm afraid that you will have to accept that the diagnosis of MS is not an exact science...........

:mjackson:

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

happyandy

Hi Stumbler

Ive never quite understood why its so difficult to dx people with RRMS, with the advent of MRI's. The McDonald criteria is quite specific.

I was dx'd after bloods were normal and 2 MRI's showing lesions separated by 3 months.

I can understand with PPMS it would be quite difficult as it seems to be based on clinical tests and a process of elimination.

Andy

Edited by happyandy

If I knew I was going to live so long I would have taken better care of my body

magna

Oh thats interesting I've always waiting for my follow up appointment with neuro for mine which is usually 6-8wks. I thought that was the normal waiting time for these kind of results. Although I do think I would rather find out my results with my neuro there as he can answer my q's. :winkgrin:

Procrastinating
Stumbler
Hi Stumbler

Ive never quite understood why its so difficult to dx people with RRMS, with the advent of MRI's. The McDonald criteria is quite specific.

I was dx'd after bloods were normal and 2 MRI's showing lesions separated by 3 months.

I can understand with PPMS it would be quite difficult as it seems to be based on clinical tests and a process of elimination.

Andy

Andy, I was struggling with "Transverse Myelitis" prior to getting diagnosed with MS, I suppose transverse Myelitis sounds better than Singular Sclerosis (SS)! I've only ever had one MRI and that was over 10 years ago!

The medical profession do seem to be getting better with their diagnoses, which allows treatment to start at an earlier point. It's just so damned difficult to get a timely appointment with the Consultant!

:winkgrin:

jeni

Hi Leanne,

Just wanted to add to the other replies.

I also have to wait until I see my Neuro for the results of Tests etc.

As I am leaving he tell's me when he wants to see me again and that he will discuss results with me then.

Take Care.

Love Jeni xx

Christina

Good idea to talk to your neuro's secretary. I had a scan about 3 wks ago and my neuro usually writes to me with results. I was told a letter is in the post yesterday so it's worth ringing and asking.

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

Leanne

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I phoned my GP yesterday but they have not received any results yet, so neuro's secretary it is.

Magna - your waiting time has reassured me ;-)

I think it would be easier if they said when to expect them.

Hope everyone is having a good day

Leanne

vegasdog

Hi Leanne,

Just a quick reply to add to my twopence worth.

After my M.R.I. I was told to phone the Neuro's secretary if I'd heard nothing within two weeks, which I duly did. The secretary was able to tell me nothing other than that the results were through and a letter had been drafted which would duly be typed up and sent out to me within a fortnight.

Letter finally arives around ten days later telling me that there is some evidence of inflamation of my central nervous system (w.t.f.????????) and that I'd be sent an appointment in due course to come in and discuss the findings with my Neuro. Within a few days of this a letter for an appointment seven weeks hence drops through my letter box.

All I can do in the meantime is call the Neuro department on a daily basis to see if I can get a cancellation to get in quicker.

Looks as if I'll still be off work for at least another month as they don't appear to be too keen for me to come off the sick till I can put a name to whatever's wrong with me!

Oh well at least the sun is shining outside.

Vegasdog

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Hang in there, Vegasdog. You have little choice in the matter, unfortunately.

Read a book, or seven............

We've all been there, so try not to worry - worry doesn't help at all.

Take care

:hearts_circle:

vegasdog

Oops,

Sorry..........didn't realise that I'd gone off on a bit of a rant there.

Cheers Stumbler

Tania B

vegasdog,

Don't fret you didn't seem to go off on a rant to me.

I think that you expressed yourself honestly and well. It is natural to feel anxious about not knowing what is happening to you. The wait can feel endless. I remember my experience. As you say the sun is shining and there will be plenty of opportunities to distract yourself outside this time of year.

Wishing you well,

Tania :hearts_circle:

Dianni

Hi Leanne :you-rock:

Sorry I'm late replying.

Just wanted to say, for me, the waiting for results was the hardest! I'm such an impaient person! I hope you don't have to wait too long to get reulsts.

Thinking of you

Hugs

Di

xxx

Leanne

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

Finally phoned the neuro's secretarty to be told that a letter has been drafted and I should receive it soon. She also said "looking at your notes everything seems fine".

So does that mean the mri was clear? If it is clear, do I just stay numb and dizzy forever?

I wish I wasn't so impatient!!

Sorry I'm having a little rant.

I'll stop now :lol4:

Leanne

happyandy

Hi Leanne,

That sounds like good news, if they found something Im sure the secretary would have been cagey.

I would ask if its possible to receive an electronic copy then you will get it sooner

Andy

Edited by happyandy

If I knew I was going to live so long I would have taken better care of my body

Tania B

Leanne,

The reply given to you by the neurologist's secretary does sound positive. I appreciate that you are probably very anxious and are very keen to know the results of your MRI scan and what they mean. Time can feel as though it's moving very slowly at times such as these. I remember how I felt in the three and half months I waited from seeing a neurologist, having tests and seeing the neurologist again with the results.

There are many causes of dizziness (over 300) and the possibilities need to be narrowed down. I don't know about the numbness but this may be similar.

Wishing you some relief from your stress,

Tania :lol4:

Edited by Tania B

jeni

Hi Leanne,

The waiting is the worse part of it at times so I really do feel for you.

When you do get your letter from your neuro, he/she will put in the results of your mri, and may ask you to come back for another appointment to discuss it further.

And you are not being impatient you just need to know.

Take Care

love Jeni xx

Leanne

Hi Guys

Just thought I would update, I got my results. My blood tests for lyme's disease, diabeties, b12 levels, haemoglobin, white cell count, etc were normal. My mri was said to show no significant abnormalities. Positive results overall but I really wish the dizziness and numbness would go away.

The letter said I can call to arrange an appointment to discuss my results but not sure what to do.

Leanne

Christina

Hi Leanne

Good news about your test results, but it still doesn't explain your symptoms for you does it? I think I would be inclined to take up the offer of discussing the results. Lots of conditions can cause dizziness, so it needs more investigating or explanation. Has anyone mentioned the possibility of an inner ear disorder? Has that avenue been explored? It wouldn't explain numbness though.

Chris x :hugs2:

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

Dianni

Hi hunni

Fantastic news that nothing abnormal was found in the blood tests but as Chris says, it doesn't really help does it? I would definately ring and make another appt and ask what the next plan is as you are still unwell.

Hugs

Di

xxx

jeni

Hi Leanne,

Glad to hear that you got your results.

But I do agree with Chris and Di, make another appointment with the neuro, because he now may suggest doing some other tests to explore your giddiness and numbness?

Take Care.

Love Jeni xx

Hezza

Hi Hon,

I agree with the others. Good news to know that some things are now ruled out. I would be inclined to take up the offer of discussing the results and asking "what next?" so you can find out what's going on.

:hugs2:

Edited by Hezza
fixing typo

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres