The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
miss daisy

tickly/tingling legs sensation -very annoying

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

miss daisy

hi all

as u all must know by now i am not diagnosed with ms.

i have had this before a few weeks back, i was panicked by it then.

i have been feeling much better the last week but now i have this tickly/tingling sensation back in my legs, starts with the foot and then slowly moves up the leg, it doesn't hurt, in a way its a nice feeling, but really really annoying.

along with every time i sit down im going dizzy .

any ideas on this, or if possible any ideas on how i can get rid of it??? will be much apprecited

take care

miss daisy

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Miss Daisy, your first port of call should be your GP.

You seem to be suffering some neuropathic "pain", which can feel like an itch that you just can't scratch! There are a few meds that can be prescribed to cover this irritation.

The dizziness could be vertigo, although there hopefully will be other replies following that can address this point in more detail.

Like I say, pop into your GP and tell him about these two sets of symptoms.

:lolsign:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Christina

Dizziness can be a feature of MS, along with the tingling sensations you describe. Vertigo is a sensation that the room is spinning, often worse when lying down. Feeling lightheaded is another common feature of MS too. However all these sensations can be part and parcel of other conditions too. There are treatments for dizziness and vertigo but without knowing the cause, it's difficult to say what would be appropriate. As for the tingling, again if it's really annoying there are drugs but to be honest it will probably go away on its own in a while. It usually does but it may take some time.

I have dizziness and tingling sensations a lot and I've just learnt to live with them.

Chris x :lolsign:

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

Dianni

Hi Miss Daisy

I get the weird tingly feelings but thankfully not the vertigo/dizziness (well not at the same time any way :lol4: )

I agree wit the others and suggest you speak to your GP and definately keep a note of all your symptoms. It might even be worth noting if there's any pattern or trigger so noting the time of day, what you've been doing and even what you've eaten. This will help the medics to pin point the cause and then get you the right treatment.

Hope you get relief soon

Hugs

Di

xxx

Hezza

Hi Miss Daisy,

I agree with the others in that you should discuss, or at least mention, these symptoms to your GP. They'll all add together to hopefully help you get some answers to what's going on.

Afraid I can't really help with the dizziness. I do get odd tingling sensations too. Sometimes I describe it like Champagne bubbles in my veins :lol4: As the others have said you can get meds for it if it is neuropathic pain.

Of course all meds have side-effects. I try to weigh up how my symptoms are affecting me against the pros and cons of meds. If it's a symptom that I think I can live with, or manage, without meds then I reserve asking for them. When something's really interfering with my day to day life I beat a path to my GP or MS Nurse.

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Jackie01

I have had this problem and most recently in the last few weeks. I was quite frightened as i did not know what it was. Prickly sensations and the feeling of creepy crawlies on my legs. I was in bed and not stressed or anything. The only thing I could do to stop the sensations was to walk around. So I kept walking around the room. Went back to bed and it came back again. Spent most of the night with it and ended up getting to sleep past 5am. Terrible night it was. Doctor said it was a panic attack but it didn't feel like one to me - I was not hyperventilating with it or anything, it was just there.

miss daisy

hi everyone

thankyou for your replys, i have mentioned it to the gp on my last visit along with other bits still waiting for gp to consult senior gp to decide if neuro appointment would be beneficial, i sure hope so, cos something is not right with that and many other things.

i don't think i will be asking for any meds for it though as it comes and goes, had it most of yesterday and part of today. feels ok now.

i know aht you mean grumpy happy, when i had a similiar experience and i mentioned it to gp a few years back, gp said it was anxiety related, who knows, like you i was not anxious at the time and it didn't last long but has come back intermittengly since.

take care everyone :-)

Jackie01

Maybe mention it to your Doctor again and see what they say? I have just been reminded in another thread that Doctors are only human, so with that in mind, your GP may not remember from when you reported it before. Sometimes they need reminding?

Katie
I have had this problem and most recently in the last few weeks. I was quite frightened as i did not know what it was. Prickly sensations and the feeling of creepy crawlies on my legs. I was in bed and not stressed or anything. The only thing I could do to stop the sensations was to walk around. So I kept walking around the room. Went back to bed and it came back again. Spent most of the night with it and ended up getting to sleep past 5am. Terrible night it was. Doctor said it was a panic attack but it didn't feel like one to me - I was not hyperventilating with it or anything, it was just there.

That sounds a bit like restless legs? It gives you an intense feeling that you need to move your legs? I am not diagnosed with MS but am on amytriptline and when I decided to come off it, the restless legs came back. I sometimes get it in my arm too and has kept me awake for hours - its horrible!

Jackie01
That sounds a bit like restless legs? It gives you an intense feeling that you need to move your legs? I am not diagnosed with MS but am on amytriptline and when I decided to come off it, the restless legs came back. I sometimes get it in my arm too and has kept me awake for hours - its horrible!

*looks up restless legs* Yes definitely that sounds like what I was experiencing, along with the strange sensations I just wanted to keep scrathcing them and yes I did keep moving my legs to try and get rid of it. Is this a psychological issue?

Katie
*looks up restless legs* Yes definitely that sounds like what I was experiencing, along with the strange sensations I just wanted to keep scrathcing them and yes I did keep moving my legs to try and get rid of it. Is this a psychological issue?

No it isn't at all. It is nerve related. I know it can be genetic.

The amytriptline I take works on nerve pain and related problems and so seems to see to that too - thank god! It is a horrible problem. A few weeks ago I had it in my arm and it lasted for 3 hours, I was shaking it and everything. Only thing that seems to work is going down and sleeping on the sofa which I know someone else has said on here - I think it is something to do with the sofa being cooler than the bed.

Hezza
No it isn't at all. It is nerve related. I know it can be genetic.

The amytriptline I take works on nerve pain and related problems and so seems to see to that too - thank god! It is a horrible problem. A few weeks ago I had it in my arm and it lasted for 3 hours, I was shaking it and everything. Only thing that seems to work is going down and sleeping on the sofa which I know someone else has said on here - I think it is something to do with the sofa being cooler than the bed.

Yep I've been known to move to the sofa when my legs are really restless. We have a leather sofa and the coolness of that really calms them down. Moving to the spare bed does the same sort of thing for me. I generally sleep with my feet or legs outside of the covers and can't wear PJ trousers on them because when they get too warm they are more restless.

Jackie01

So if the cooler sofa helps, can we conclude this is heat related?

Hezza

Well heat certainly doesn't help me but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the cause of the restless legs. Some people with MS can be affected by extremes of temperature - either hot or cold.

I'm one of the ones who finds that their symptoms are made worse by heat so as the heat makes my MS worse and restless legs is one of my symptoms it may be more of an in-direct factor.

Hope that makes sense!! :squiffy:

Katie
Yep I've been known to move to the sofa when my legs are really restless. We have a leather sofa and the coolness of that really calms them down. Moving to the spare bed does the same sort of thing for me. I generally sleep with my feet or legs outside of the covers and can't wear PJ trousers on them because when they get too warm they are more restless.

I am exactly the same - cant wear PJ bottoms and sleep with my feet and calves outside the quilt for exactly the same reasons.

Jackie01
Well heat certainly doesn't help me but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the cause of the restless legs. Some people with MS can be affected by extremes of temperature - either hot or cold.

I'm one of the ones who finds that their symptoms are made worse by heat so as the heat makes my MS worse and restless legs is one of my symptoms it may be more of an in-direct factor.

Hope that makes sense!! :squiffy:

Thanks for the explanation and yes it does make sense.

P.S. Sorry about the name change and I hope I do not confuse people, but grumpyhappy was not me.

miss daisy

hi all thanks for replys and interesting reading on rls.

i have this or so my rheumatologist has said, mine is more like an uncomfortable feeling and need to move the legs, i too can not wear pj bottoms and have one leg out of duvet, however the main prob with it i find, is my leg jerks and wakes me up, i am told this is rls related.?

the tickling/tingling sensation feels different to that of my experience of rls, who knows, not really with it today, concentration and rational thought pattern has gone south.

take care all

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Oh, Miss Daisy, I'm recognising those symptoms and your methods of dealing with it.

I am on Lyrica (Pregabalin) 300 Mg, but they weren't cutting the mustard. I didn't want to go the Amitriptyline route, as they knocked me out for the next day.

So, I'm now on 20Mg Nortriptyline, before I retire and I've been generally OK.

I'm going to start reducing the Lyrica to see if it was doing anything, or not!

:squiffy:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"