The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Exedoc

Risk of MS after single case of optic neuritis?

2 posts in this topic Last Reply

Exedoc

I am a medical student and I am finding it hard to figure this out, so I can imagine how stressful it must be for patients!

A friend of mine suffered a severe case of unilateral optic neuritis about 2 years ago. She is black, female ofc, and she was 17/18 at the time.As far as I know she had no other neuro symptoms before or since.

All tests at the time came back normal, she lives in the US so I imagine they did the full shebang of tests too. No lesions on MRI anyway, no family history of MS.

Basically.. what is her risk?! There are so many studies out there all saying different things! A lot of them are of such small patient groups to.. like 100 patients sometimes! And it doesn't often stratify your risk according to your demographic and symptoms, and for example, ON in "children and over 40s" is supposed to be much lower risk than the 2-30 age group but where does 17/18 fit into that?

So I was wondering if someone here knows what sort of risk she has, are we talking "she pretty much has MS, just a matter of time" or are we talking "very unlikely but a slightly higher chance than someone who hadn't had ON"?

1%? 10%? 75%? I have seen them all!

Hezza

Hi Exedoc

aaarrrgggghhhh - I just wrote you a long reply and then lost it :hearts_circle: . I'll try to recycle it :dunno:

I suspect the reason you can't find one simple risk ratio is because noone can give an exact ratio to be honest. Just like MS I think it varies from individual to individual except on an individual basis.

I can't give you a medical opinion but can share my own personal experience with you.

I do have a little knowledge of your friend's situation as my first major symptom was Optic Neuritis ( ON). When it first occurred I was 29 and hadn't had any other major symptoms. On my 1st visit to my Neuro he suggested that my chances of going on to develop MS, before any other tests were carried out, was 50/50. This ratio was based on the neuro examination that he performed, my medical history and my family history - aunt on my Dad's side and cousin on my Mum's with MS.

The neuro ordered a brain MRI & Visual Evoked Potentials (VEPs). The MRI showed damage to my optic nerve and a teeny tiny lesion somewhere. The VEP was, unsurprisingly given I could hardly see out of my left eye, abnormal. These results weren't enough for a diagnosis ( Dx) but I had had other symptoms in my foot in the meantime. The Neuro offered me a spinal MRI and was clear that if I had it and there was a lesion then I had MS, if not we'd discuss whether I was at 50/50 risk or higher now.

That MRI confirmed my Dx and, if I'm honest with a 50% chance, I was glad because I would rather have MS and get on with it than wait and wonder.

So...I'm afraid I haven't been able to offer much help. Each case truly is different.

You might find the MS Trust website useful for more info. This article might help to start: http://www.mstrust.org.uk/atoz/cis.jsp

Edited by Hezza
Fixing typos!

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Corona risk

Just wondering whether someone with MS and fatigue (not taking any medication) would be considered in the "underlying health condition" risk category for corona virus? 

in General Discussion about MS

• Optic Neuritis?

Last August I started getting pain behind my eye, I'd lose a bit of red vision and it seemed dimmer, like a cloudy day vs a sunny day. The weird thing is that these symptoms switch between eyes.   My GP sent me to my optician: everything seemed fine except for having developed slight long-sightedness. I'd been used to perfect vision my whole life. I also get slight nystagmus (a brief side-to side eye wobble occassionally). I had one episode of vertically split vision after surgery.   My Neuro sent me for a Visual Evoked Potentials test and I'm waiting for results.   I just wanted to know if anyone has had vision related symptoms that move between eyes? I can't find anything about it.

• Optic Neuritis

Hi,   In your experience, does optic neuritis always result in some degree of sight loss or can it just be pain around the eye, bruise feeling to touch and pain when moving the eye?   Thanks,   Katie

• HIV infection & reduced risk of ms

Have you been reading the News items on this site? I am so glad that at last a rational, logical theory about the development of ms is being proposed. It makes sense to me that there is a viral explanation. I await with some anticipation the findings of the Inspire trial (part of the Charcot project). Hats off to Profs Gold, Pender, the 'mousedoctor' and their teams who have been able to think outside the box. So many have fallen by the wayside into paternalism, quackery or moneymaking, but not them!

• Optic Neuritis - anything I can or should do to help please?

Hi all,   About a month or so ago and after a scan they told me I have as the title says :(   To be honest I guess I am trying to ignore it, especially as one consultant said I should focus..no pun intended..on things that are ok and that I can do rather than dwell on what is wrong.   With mine its a greyness or fading in my right eye which is there most of the day, gets worse with exercise or when I get hot, and gets better when cold, laying down, or drinking beer believe it or not!   The first consultant said there is nothing I can really do and it wasnt bad enough to have steroids and that is usually lasts a few months and then either goes away for good, hopefully, or if not I may have it like that forever :(   Only thing im taking is 1000 units of Vitamin D every day which she did say could help.   Is there anything else that I can take or can do to help that you guys may know about? as I obviously want this to get better :/   Many thanks in advance, and if this is in the wrong section please feel free to move :)   Davcos

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.