The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Ellie

Anyone interested in painting?

51 posts in this topic Last Reply

Ellie

:cheers: Hi All

Just a general enquirey. Do we have any members who are interested in painting, as in pictures, not walls, as I am. Thought this was OK to put in here, not quite for the usual list.

Luv Ellie

supadeja

I dont 'do' painting - but i do like paintings - specially of scenes etc - landscapes or whatever they are called

stranding

Hallo Ellie

Yes, I'm into painting, but mostly very simple stuff. What do you paint?

I was always hopeless at infant school :crying: (trying to use 4 horrible colours of powder paint, grey sugar paper, huge rough brushes :rolleyes: ... yes, I was born before the last ice-age!). Just couldn't get the colours I wanted & didn't know why

Remember to KYPU at all times...

(Keep Your Pecker Up)

Ppms 20-ish years.

smiffy

Hi Ellie

I'm having a problem with my email at the moment so I'm glad I've seen you post here. Yes I "dabble" in Art too. It was my best subject at school but wasn't allowed to use it to do Technical Drawing at school because that was for boys only - how long ago was that! Instead I went into secretarial work and it's been useful but not very profitable then I married an engineer and it's been great to have a partner who is interested in the "technical" side of things as I am. However I digress. I've been to Ad Ed classes since I left school, most of the time for arty types of things - painting, drawing, pottery, jewellry making etc etc. At the moment I'm doing a Drawing and Painting class which culminates in a WYNOCN (whatever that is) qualification which I could find very useful - or so I've been told!

I've tried to attach something so that you can see the kind of work that we're doing at the class. Presently it's watercolour which is something that I've not tried for a long time.

I'll say bye for now and keep figers crossed the piccie shows up!

Shirley

smiffy

Hum - no the picture didn't turn up. Wonder what I've done wrong. Tried to attach it - should I have done something else?

Shirley

stranding

Hi again Shirley :crutch:

Really looking forward to the pic... !

Thinking

(Keep Your Pecker Up)

Ppms 20-ish years.

Sluggish
Marina
Hum - no the picture didn't turn up.  Wonder what I've done wrong.  Tried to attach it - should I have done something else?

Hi Shirley

Did you try to click "Preview" after uploading the pic? If so, there's a bug and it then removes the attached pic... So the trick is to not Preview and to just post it. Try it again without using Preview and see if it works...

Hope this helps

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Sluggish
Marina
Might be worth checking the size of the file you tried attaching?

Hi :-)

There is a limit of 200kb per attachment. We have to impose this I'm afraid as otherwise I'd run out of webspace rather fast... Even at 200kb with lots of pics, there will come a time when older pics will have to be deleted to make space for newer ones I'm afraid - but that's a little while away yet.... ;-)

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

smiffy

Right here goes - the picture I promised. It's for Teddy really, hope he's on line.

ddgorgeous

That looks somewhat bigger than any guppy in my fishtank!...................come to think of it, that looks bigger than me!

Teddy :rolleyes:

ppms, dx 2001

smiffy

Wrong picture :rolleyes: Never mind you've seen me now so I'll post a piccie of my painting which what I intended to do in the first place.

Shirley

smiffy

Thanks Stranding and Marina

As you may have noticed I didn't preview, I made the picture smaller than 200k but the format is still jpg - and it worked. Only thing is I put the picture for Teddy on the Hobbies board and not on his, as you may have noticed he saw it. There are no secrets from Teddy... :rolleyes:

Bye for now, I'm going to put some pictures on my album now.

Shirley

stranding

:clapping:

piccie of my painting

Hi Shirley. Your painting is just lovely!

(Keep Your Pecker Up)

Ppms 20-ish years.

smiffy

Hello Ann

Thankyou for your compliments on my work if I do anything that might be of interest I'll post it up. I'm just starting up again after a long layoff from painting but I haven't stopped having an interest in all things "crafty". So you know every time that I start writing about my interests, the list grows! I haven't tried what you are doing though, but I don't think I can fit anything else in at the moment so I'll leave you to it!

I haven't seen the Nauticalia catalogue, I'll have to get one it sounds interesting and I want to see your name in it. It is thrilling isn't it when you see that others appreciate your talents.

I have just come back from my Art class, it was a bit of a difficult evening for me. I've been wobbly for a day or two, well about two weeks actually, and it seemed to be affecting the way I was working but it came right near the end. For the next two weeks we are doing some unguided work so I'll have to get my thinking cap on. I don't want to do anything too ambitious because it needs to be completed by half term. The course we're on, my friend June and daughter Dee as well as me, is the only one we could get on when we decided we would do Art and we have found an absolute gem of an Art teacher but it is an accredited course, which brings the costs down, but we need to do work that is assessed yuk.

So I'll say goodnight now, bye

Shirley

smiffy

Hi there everyone, have you been doing any art recently? I was at my class last night and we're supposed to be working on unguided painting for the end of the particular unit in our WNYOCN course. I love hydrangeas when the flowers have faded and I picked a bunch from my garden to keep for the winter. They so inspired me that I tried a pencil and wash watercolour. Hope you like it, it's still rough at the edges but here goes.

smiffy

Hum I will get it right soon. I'm working in Paint Shop Pro and I keep forgetting how to use it! The picture is on it's side - but so what!

Bye for now

Shirley

stranding

:cheers::clap::fear:

Shirley, your painting is just lovely. Your skill with watercolour gives it a wondefully loose and fluid character

(Keep Your Pecker Up)

Ppms 20-ish years.

smiffy

:cheers: rule!

Anne your picture is so soft and has a lovely peaceful feel about it. I don't have the patience or skill to do such a precise drawing. There would be so many rubbings out that the paper would be full of holes! I have to admit I was rather chuffed with the way mine turned out. I did it by doing some VERY loose sketches of the florets with a 9B pencil held loosely in my hand. I then put on a very wet, very pale grey wash and before it dried I mentally divided the sketch into three and put a blue grey wash on the lefthand third, added a little more blue to the wash for the middle third and then added a warm red to the same wash for the last third. It was all very wet! After a break for a coffee I started to add light colour to some of the petals based on the particular wash I had applied to that part of the sketch - are you still with me? :clap: The final thing was to add very tiny dots of undiluted colour to the centres of those florets I wanted to highlight and because it was all still wet, they flowed out from the centre.

Have a go I'm sure you would be successful, after seeing your illustrations in "The Book" I know you can do it. I'm going to have a go at some of the things in the book, I actually still have the spike Dad used for splicing as well as some of his net needles.

:fear: bye for now

Shirley

Lula_lulabel

Hi Shirley and Everyone,

Your painting of the anenome is beautiful.

Fabulous style. Sometimes less is more, and you have achieved the balance perfectly.

Love Lula x

sprinkling magic all around

horseydawn

Hi,

Yes I am an illustrator, though I must confess that this Ms thing means I don't actually DO much illustrating anymore LOL.

Most of my work is in watercolour though I use diffent mediums depending on how I feel and what my ms will let me do. (Shaky hands aren't clever at detail!)Don't earn a living anymore but I try and do what I can, as it is important to me....didn't spend all those years studying and working hard for nothing!!!!!!!!! O am happy to do work for people so long as they undrtstand that it might take a while, which is why the top agents don't want me! It's a harsh world unfortunately.

Anyway, if nothing else I will have some lovely pictures to show future generations and have bought a few happy tears to peoples eyes when they see the paintings I have done for them...

My biggest tip guys, and yes I DID learn it the hard way, is to "keep it fun, you should be ENJOYING what you are doing!"

Suppose that goes for everything, and not just art lol.

Best wishes t you all,

DawnXXXXXXXXX

Horsey Dawn

Our Website

ddgorgeous

Dawn,

:halo: and a very warm :howdy: to the forum.

Someone with MS was going to make some stencils of sea creatures for me to use on 6 inch tiles in my kitchen. My hands are that shaky now I do not think I could really manage drawing etc...I have enough trouble with writing and cannot even read my own handwriting anymore and everythng on the pc is done with a spellchecker.

I have not heard from her recently, so am thinking it might never happen now. I do not know how she planned to make a stencil from a drawing, do you have any ideas?

I really have no experience of art or anything art-like, and do not know what might be available to do this type of thing. The idea is to create something on some tiles that glass paint should stick to. If it works, then I think some birds may well look good on my bathroom tiles which are plain white.

Ron :lmao:

ppms, dx 2001

Lula_lulabel

Hi Dawn... do you have any pickies of your work? I'd love to see...?

:horse: Love Lula x

sprinkling magic all around

horseydawn

Hi Lula,

Nice to meet you!

When I suss this site out I will post some! If you just can't wait then there is a copy of a cat painting on the web-site I have done for my hubbys China Trek, it's undr auctions. I think there is a link to the site on my profile.

If not, then if you have been to Blackpool tower you may have seen some of my animals in jungle jims??????

GOSH this is all new to me, trying to suss out smileys so I can send you a big happy face!!!!

Give it a while and you won't get me off here lol!

Best wishes,

DawnX

Horsey Dawn

Our Website

horseydawn

Hello Ron,

Thank you for that lovely welcome!

Not sure about the glass paint, I know you can use it on acetate, but wether this would adhere to the tiles well I am not sure. To be honest it depends if the tiles are going to get wet?????

You can buy tile paint in different colours that you could stencil/paint straight on. Stencils are easily available and are quite easy to make, except cutting the shapes out with a craft knofe can be a bit scary with this m.s. thing!!!

Apart from the tile strategy, I hope you are well, and thank you again for welcoming me,

Best wishes,

Dawn

Horsey Dawn

Our Website

Michelle

Ron,

I used to make stencils for my windows at christmas. If you can tell some one who is more arty than me, what it is you would like. Then i am sure it would be quite straight forward to design some stencils for you.

An idea just came to mind. If you could get hold of some stencils that you like (plastic variety etc) Then you could get some spray paint that your able to use on ceramic tiles.

Just cellotape the stencil to the tiles and spray...that's if your hands are up to it on the day. Other than that get someone in the family to have a go. If I lived nearer I would have a go for you.

Michelle :howdy:

Dawn, Can't wait to see some of your work. I love art! But I am more into writing poems. Oe'r and I love pottery. Got an O'level in that :hoop:

Michelle :horse: