The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
sarah111

dvla

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

sarah111

HI I recently applied for DLA and now this week I've had a letter from dvla who I notified of My MS 3 years ago and I was given no restrictions and they have requested I return my licence by Nov as I will no longer be able to drive ? I'm perfectly able to drive I'm not on medication etc but they are requesting I sit the theory and take a driving test again ? I just don't understand ?

Sarah

Heste

If it was me I would be on the phone to them to ask why. You need to speak to the dvla medical team. I found them to be reasonable people. I was put on a 3 year license when I first notified them. They contacted my Neuro and obviously he gave them no reason to stop me driving.

If they have told you that you need to retake your test then they must have had a good reason. I don't think it will be a secret. If they didn't say in the letter I sure they will be able to tell you on the phone. Its a reasonable question to ask. I think generally they are quite reluctant to remove a license unless there is a clear safety issue. Is it possible you said something in you DLA application that would cast doubt over you driving?

Regards,

John cowboy.gif

Hezza

Hi Sarah,

I agree with John. Give the DVLA a call and ask and in the meantime try not to panic.

As join has said there could be something that has made them think that or it could even be an admin error. The quickest way to get to the bottom of it is to ask. Like John, in my experience they don't take licences away with no good reason so hopefully you'll be able to get to the bottom of things and all will work out ok.

:heartraining:

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Christina

In my experience, DVLA and the Benefits Agency don't communicate with each other, unless things have recently changed so I doubt it's anything you will have said in your application for DLA. They may have contacted your GP or Consultant for information if your licence is due for its 3 yearly review. I would agree you need to speak to DVLA next week.

Chris :rain:

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

Nick

I would agree on most points mentioned here. I have never experienced any communications between DVLA and DLA. I have also always found the DVLA a very efficient organisation.

I was very lucky that I was told by a nurse (not the MS nurse) that I needed to contact DVLA having had a diagnosis of MS. Good advice indeed. You must also tell your insurance company.

I did this in the early stages and DVLA contacted the neurologist . In my case my licence was reduced to exclude goods vehicles but strangely it retained both my bike licence as well as a full car licence. (No chance of me riding a bike! ) Now three years later I have put myself through a local 'drivability' centre assessment as my condition changes. That is a hard thing to do but I felt that I needed to know what my real driving capability now was, not what I think, or would like it to be.

Again I am glad I did! The news was not what I wanted to hear but you have to face up to these things and find solutions.

The experience was excellent in that the people who conducted the assessment were first class, and (believe it or not) even had a good understanding of my MS ! Taking at least a couple of hours and involving a simulator and an adapted car we were able to get a good assertion of my true situation.

Now it has been explained to me that this assessment is confidential in the respect that no outside agency asked for it to be undertaken. Next time I see the neurologist I shall take a copy for him.

So now I have time to prepare and find an automatic with modifications for left foot accelerator ...........For which I will need lessons (What a shock after 30 years accident free motoring)

Nick

Just another Warrior...........

sarah111

Hi Thanks I will ring on Tuesday, I don't class me MS as serious I've been driving for 23 years and never had an accident, I'm not on medication have just passed an examination by the gp practice nurse I do wear glasses for driving but then lots of people do, I've had MS for 7 years only had maybe 4 relapses but do get weird sensations a lot but they don't affect me in anyway so I'm not too sure what triggered the letter but I'm sure I will find out.

Sarah

Hezza

Hi Sarah,

Did you get any answers from the DVLA today? I have my fingers crossed that it's a simple misunderstanding or miscommunication - I know they can make them.

:welcome: Martin,

I've not had any personal experience of a Driving Appraisal. I am on a short-term (3 year) license due to my MS but the only tests that the DVLA have required me to have were Visual Field and vision tests due to my history of Optic Neuritis.

Have you been given the details of the place where the driving appraisal will take place? If so how about giving them a call and explaining that the DVLA have not given you any real information to go on and asking if they can tell you what to expect tomorrow. Good luck!

• Like 1

Nick

This link may give you some ideas of what an assessment is like ( This is a charity organisation) http://www.eastangliandriveability.co.uk/

Lurking
PaulX

A lot is going to depend on what your neurologist told the DVLA, assuming that they have not just made a mistake.

I too have found the DVLA to be one of the better government agencies to deal with.

I do hope you have managed to talk to them and they have at least been able to tell you why they have taken this action.

I too was told that I needed to inform the DVLA after been given a positive diagnosis.

A form arrived in the post which I had to fill in and return, though it did say I could continue to drive on my current licence while they processed the form.

After contacting my neurologist, I was requested to apply for a 3 year licence as my current one would now be expired on a given date.

This I duly did.

It was all very painless and efficient.

And because it is for medical reasons, you don't even have to pay for it.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,

Running over the same old ground.

What have we found?

The same old fears.

sarah111

Hi Thanks everyone, it appears that someone who they won't name but it was a member of the public informed the dvla that I was unfit to drive but it's taken me over 2 months and a letter from my neuro to finally get my licence back thank god. It's so unfair that someone can just cause so much confusion and upset for myself without any good reason. But just relieved I have it back.

Thanks Sarah

• Like 1

Nick

Thats Brilliant news Sarah.

Hezza

Glad all is sorted now Sarah :heartraining:

Sleepy
Scully

Good news Sarah!

Some people huh! Like to think it was a concerned member of the public......alas, there can be so many busy bodies about, that just seem to revel in making others lives harder.

Glad you have it back though, Well Done

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Dianni

Hi Sarah

Glad you've finally got it all sorted :hearts_circle:

Hugs

Di

xxx

Lurking
PaulX

Hi Sarah,

Good that it is sorted but a little bit worrying that anyone can contact the DVLA and make an accusation and the DVLA seem to acton it without any further investigation.

Paul

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,

Running over the same old ground.

What have we found?

The same old fears.

john2104

sorry to hear bout ur licence glad u got it back, i work fo the dvla an work along side drivers medical its not uncomon for dvla to recieve letters like this but everycase has to be looked into its just a shame the some people can drop to that level and do such a horrible thing