The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
frances22

swallowing problems

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

frances22

Hi

I am having terrible swallowing probs at the mo, can't eat much then feel like I can't breath anyone else get this.

thanks.

derby42

Hi frances. I dont have those problems but i have all my life suffered with periods of anxiety where ive found breathing difficult. . With or without food. I just wondered if you were feeling anxious about this because that in itself can make it worse. Do you have a cold drink to hand between mouthfuls? Is it any particular food? Or hot or cold food? Sorry im not terribly helpful im just thinking that maybe there are things you do to lessen it cos it must be awful for you.

derby x

mackers758

Hi, I have problems at times. I've eaten before only to find about ten minutes later I cough some food back up.

I sometimes get the feeling that I've got something stuck on my throat. When I first had the feeling I even began to think that the lump like feeling was a tumor, that's how strong the sensation was. It's a unsettling feeling, but it's not stayed with me permanently, so I just put it down to another symptom. Hopefully yours will subsidealso.

Steve

LynneF

Hi I've had swallowing problems for years, after I had my last daughter I couldn't swallow much solid food, I lived on a soft diet for about a year. Gradually it got better but I've had several episodes in the past 25 years. Now I can't eat dry food such as sandwiches, I have to have a drink while I'm eating them.

Lynne xx

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Swallowing - odd sensations

Yesterday, in the afternoon, I had an odd feeling in my lower oesophagus and when swallowing, a mild pain and odd feeling. Is this a very strange spasm?  Happened at the top a bit too, and at the top is back this evening a bit.  Hurts a bit to swallow where the pain is.  OK totally this morning and afternoon.  Not stopping me eating, or drinking (coffee, herbal tea, wine) but it's uncomfortable.     Another new symptom in the last two years. And my neurologist has written me off for not being bad enough to interest him!    

in General Discussion about MS

• Swallowing, speech and choking

For many years, I've had throat problems due to MS. At times, the swallowing mechanism reaches up and grabs food before I've thoroughly chewed it. At other times, a small seed or nut is lodged in my throat, leaving the sensation it is still there even when the choking coughs have dislodged it. All this has caused me much embarrassment as food is often splattered around by the coughs. Not a pretty sight.   And now... last Sunday, I was in bed, lolling after a nice cup of tea. No sensation of choking or lodged er… tea! But, of its own accord (pun intended) my throat closed. Thus I could neither breathe or speak. It felt like many minutes, lasted seconds. I thumped DH just so he would know distress was present. Then I reached for a glass of water, and happily my throat allowed the sip through, followed by many thankful swallows.   My throat has tightened to various degrees since Sunday so I await a chat with a GP this afternoon.   It's just another one of those things that are sent to try us... 

• Pegs, feeding and swallowing

Had a long day yesterday with Neuro, Speech and language and dieticians and feeling like death today lol   Short story is I'm loosing my ability to swallow and the throat goes into spasm blocking the airways so I basically I struggle for breath While the breathing thing happens maybe once, twice a month the Doctors are not over concerned about that it more about making sure I get food, outcome is they would like to introduce a Peg for feeding to supplement the soft food diet.   I just wanted to know if anyone has a peg and what are the pros and cons they have found ?   Aims x

• Swallowing

Hi All, Lately, I've been getting a sort of scratchy feeling in my throat where I feel like I need to swallow constantly, it tends to happen once I lie down. I also seem to have been choking a bit more often, not proper choking obviously, but that kind of coughing and feeling like you can't breathe because somethings gone down the wrong way. It's not always with food sometimes it just happens. I've noticed these two things over recent months. The choking I've kind of wondered if it was MS related but figured I was probably just looking in to it too much, the extra swallowing thing I thought was probably down to smoking but then last night I did wonder if it could be MS related. So I just wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced such things?   Problems with swallowing are pretty much my biggest fear with MS so I'm probably just being paranoid.   Thanks Mustard x

• Swallowing Problems

Hi Guys,   Just wanted to put this past those of you who suffer from swallowing problems. Recently I have been having spasms whilst swallowing. That in itself doesn't bother me. It's the pain in my right shoulder that I get after I have swallowed, that's the main problem. I'm wondering if anyone else has had such a problem. Don't worry if you haven't. I will be off to see my g.p asap,and asking him a few questions about it. I know I could ask for a swallowing study to be carried out,but I'm wondering whether this will be of any use to me. One way to find out I suppose.   Regards   Michelle

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.