The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Sign in to follow this  
Tania B

MS Risk Up in Teens Who Work Nights

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Tania B

"Teens who are employed in shift work are at increased risk for developing multiple sclerosis (MS), possibly because of sleep loss and the resulting negative effects on circadian rhythm, Swedish researchers found."

A Swedish study found that performing shift work before the age of 20 nearly doubled the risk for multiple sclerosis.

My Teens who work nights

Take a look!

Nick

This aspect interests me greatly.

From the age of around 17 I always worked at sea until forced to give up in 2008 (thanks to MS) During all that time I always worked 'shift patterns' (We call those 'watches' at sea)

Towards the end of my career I was involved in various academic studies regarding 'fatigue at sea'. This had become a bigger and bigger problem in that industry. Over the last ten years of working I did 6 hour shifts back to back making an 84 hour week. Industry generally is only just starting to recognise the health dangers associated with these long hours and in particular night working.

I feel now that any shift work pattern is indeed potentially dangerous if you are 'suseptible' to MS (Well I would say that wouldn't I!) The other interesting fact about myself is the amount of time I spent away from direct sunlight in the last 5 years before my diagnosis at the age of 53 ( I now know that I had un-diagnosed MS at age 43) The reason for this lack of sunlight was my working in high latitudes such as northern Norway. It's self another place that has high levels of MS.

Had I known about this and understood the dangers back in 1998 I could theoretically have done something to mitigate the full impact (I know It would never have happened) Anyway this would indicate that having an early diagnosis of MS could be a 'good thing' IF it then enabled that person to avoid things like long shift hours and gave them the chance of maximising the best way for them to live with the condition.

Edited by Nick

Just another Warrior...........

Tania B

Nick,

I'm glad that you found the research of interest. It seems as though there are so many parts of the MS puzzle.

Why do you think that you had undiagnosed MS adecade before your diagnosis?

Nick

Tania,

I had an episode of Optic neuritis 10 years before and then had various symptoms in between where I 'ignored' things ....typical bloke! did'nt want to go to a quack! After the big crash happened we put it all together and I am now pretty sure about things. It makes sense ! My age profile suggests a typical RRMS pattern back at the start going into SPMS which is my present diagnosis ......My neurologists likes to talk about 'grumbling MS' ...it never stops!

Just another Warrior...........

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Topics

• Corona risk

Just wondering whether someone with MS and fatigue (not taking any medication) would be considered in the "underlying health condition" risk category for corona virus? 

in General Discussion about MS

• MS and the ability to work....I am at a crossroads.

Hi All,   Thank you for letting me join the forum.   Very quickly about me..... I am Male, 44
      Diagnosed with RRMS in 2009
      Married with 2 kids
      History of numbness and neuropathic pain - tried many things but nothing ever dents it
      Getting a little worried about my future!!!
      And so this is where my story begins. I am lucky, with the exception of constant pain for the last 12 years in my hands, a limited amount of balance issues and some reproductive problems, I feel like I have gotten off with my condition so far. I take Gilenya daily following a drug trial and things seem stable.   I am employed, I work full time in an active role, I am the only person working for the company that employs me based in the UK. I run up and down the UK, drive lots of miles, run around building sites, up ladders, into lofts and its a very physically demanding role. I havce never told my employer I have MS.   But....I have noticed a decline recently, not one that can be understood by many unless you have this condition but I am finding the physical side more and more demanding. I am feeling that my symptoms are getting worse and it will get to a point where I will feel I am putting myself and others in danger if I carry on.   My job is all I know and I am getting to the point where I need to consider whether I can do it or not. I am also considering registering myself as being disabled.   So I need to make a plan in life. What happens next? I know that unless I do the job I do with my current employer, there is no other job for me. I am their man in the UK and there is no desk job equivelent. All I know is the travelling and managing that I do. Also, I earn a good wage, very good, and if there are to be changes in my life then I dont want to scarifice my earning potential to do it. I have all those great things that a guy at my age has...mortgage etc.   I have done nothing so far, other than join this forum and tap into the experience of others whoi may have some sage advice or guidance from me.   I hope there is some help out there and I am also looking forward to helping others if I can!!!   Thanks in advance.   Mike

• My first question - work

Okay, so I haven't been diagnosed yet. I have a mass on my forth ventricle that was described as a lesion, and I've just been referred back to neurology for more tests as, after ruling out other things, my GP (who is very interested in neurology herself) thinks I could have MS.   What ever it is, I'm definitely having some sort of attack. I've always hurt and had symptoms but since Saturday it's been unbearable. It was really warm on Saturday and I was in the sun a lot. I know the heat affects me.   So, aside from the usual pain and such, it's the exhaustion that's getting me. I haven't done anything yet I just feel no energy.   So, I run two businesses. I'm a private tutor (which is great because I work in the evenings). And I own a company that makes resources for maths teachers. I'm trying to make new stuff and I've sat here for a few hours trying to force myself. I've done maybe 1/8th of the work I can normally do when focussed. And I've done nothing since Saturday. So I'm very behind on the work I wanted to get done.   Please tell me this is temporary.   And, if this is MS, well, am I doing more harm?   Basically I am someone who keeps going. I've been known to be in tears from pain but still working, crying while I carry on writing because I want to finish what I'm doing. Even though I make slow progress, and stare at the screen for half an hour doing nothing, I'll still try to keep persevering.   Is that the wrong thing to do? I've noticed a lot of the symptoms come on after a busy month or so. But I can't afford to keep taking whole days or even weeks doing nothing. But I also need to pace myself, and I don't want to find out that my pushing through might actually be making things worse.   Just wondered how others cope, and whether you still work?    

• HIV infection & reduced risk of ms

Have you been reading the News items on this site? I am so glad that at last a rational, logical theory about the development of ms is being proposed. It makes sense to me that there is a viral explanation. I await with some anticipation the findings of the Inspire trial (part of the Charcot project). Hats off to Profs Gold, Pender, the 'mousedoctor' and their teams who have been able to think outside the box. So many have fallen by the wayside into paternalism, quackery or moneymaking, but not them!

• Fatigue and work

The fatigue does it/can it get so bad u are unable to continue working? Also what is night cramps in the legs a sign of?? again just trying to learn some stuff, Yea it can be read about but been warned the stuff on the web

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.