The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
kizzy

numb face

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

kizzy

Hi all as you know think i am having a bit of a relapse at the moment one of my major things is i get numbness on the left side of my face the other day i got it in my whole face but its back to just the left side now, its worse near the corner of my mouth and its droped a little that side not a lot just more pulled downwards than normal maybe a couple of mm you wouldnt notice unless i pointed it out :help2: eeekkk I just keep checking in the mirror to check it hasnt got any worse. Will it get worse do you think ?:help2: :help2: Roll on thursday when i see neuro :0/ im scared,

Thanks Tracy Xxx

Christina

It's hard to say Kizzy, hopefully it will just stay as it is. I'm glad your appt is just around the corner :hearts_circle:

Chris x

Edited by Christina

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

kizzy

Thanks X, i didn't know it could drop i thought it was just a feeling and wouldnt drop is this normal or common in ms then ? hubby wants me to go down the hospital but i dont want to if it is something that can just happen and there is nothing they can do also i dont want to bother them knowing i only have to wait till thursday but it has got me a little frightened i have to admit :hearts_circle:

mackers758

Kizzy, I have the numbness quite frequently. It affects the right side of my face. Do you have the burning sensation as well, that I have ?

I've not noticed any drop, I do however notice that sometimes that it feels like I've dribbled from the right hand corner of my mouth.

I get the numbness on the right side of my nose also, just feels like the dentist has injected when they go to work.

I've had this goiong on for quite some time, but as i'm yet to be diagnosed, I'm just living with it.

Good luck at your appointment and just make sure you mention it to them.

Steve x

kizzy

Thanks Steve i dont get the burning but get this numbness all the time and it does feel like im dribbling from the corner of my mouth sometimes but i have never had it look like it has dropped, Its a horrible feeling is'nt it , I might call the ms helpline and see what they say

Thanks Xx

kizzy

I just phoned the ms helpline and they said it does not normaly drop it is normaly just a sensation as a rule and to call my gp so think this is what i might do if it hasnt improved any by later Xx

Christina

It does depend how much the facial nerve is being affected though Kizzy! With all respect to the Helpline, a Bell's Palsy type effect can and does happen with MS sometimes, where the face will drop usually as the result of a brainstem lesion. There is no reason it won't recover but again it would be speeded up with some steroids.

Chris x

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

kizzy

Thankyou hun i was thinking great something else going on aswel at least i know the know the 2 could be connected , thankyou xxx :hearts_circle:

Dianni

Hi Kizzy

Hope your face pain has improved. Good luck on Thursday and just for the record, my friend's first symptom (or the one that got her dx'd) was theleft side of her face drooping. She's absolutely fine now and she was told it's quite common in MS, as Chris said, it depends which nerve is playing up.

Hugs

Di

xxx

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Shooting pains - in face

Hi Everyone,   I am new to forums so please bare with me.    I have recently started getting a very sharp pain, almost like an electric shock going from my left hand side of my cheek up to my temple and can last for 30 secs to a min then disappear, it can be spasmodic i have also noticed that when i smile or laugh i get a feeling on the same side, equivalent to a 100 needles. Does anyone know or has experienced this?       

in General Discussion about MS

• Face numbness - not yet diagnosed

Hi Thought I'd come here for a bit of advice   I am 49 female and for the last few days have been experiencing numbness in my face - like when a dentist does a filling. My tongue and gums are also numb I have had numbness in the hands for years, possibly due to a compressed nerve in my neck (diagnosed as tennis elbow, then spondylosis via mri, my feet also tingle with strange feelings in my knees   I don't have any pain anywhere apart from occasional lower lumber and mid back pain.  I don't have any double vision, slurred speech. I walk a lot and keep relatively fit   I've done some research hence being here. I know that it generally affects younger people, but can arise in my age group.   I've read that if the problem is MS that it could take months/ years to get a proper diagnosis and that there isn't much treatment available.   Early next year I will be 50 and I am planning a massive long-awaited holiday to America and Canada, however, I am fully aware that if I go to the Drs and they refer me to a neurologist I then can't get travel insurance due to having an 'undiagnosed condition'   I've looked at the medicines available and they seem to prevent flare-ups by 30-50% but most of the treatment is physio, exercise, cognitive therapy etc  (self managed)    I don't know if I have MS, but if I go to the DRs and get a referral - then my 50th birthday gift won't happen    Any advice - have I read the treatments wrong - is there a point going to the Drs at this point -   how long do referrals take   Thanks for your help

• The Face of MS

Hi All,   There is an MS awareness campaign building up for the 28th of May (world MS day) which you are free to join.   It is based on the no makeup selfie for cancer and has moroe williams (us chat show host) backing it as well as the MS trust, it will go across Facebook, twitter and instagram as well as other formats and is already global.   It is not just for MSers but those affected by MS so family etc.   Facebok link is https://www.facebook.com/events/224791047728399/   twitter hashtag is #thefaceofms   Thanks Dave

• Numb!?!?!

Hiya   Sorry I haven't posted for a while, but I have been reading your posts. I was wondering if anyone has had experience of this. About a month ago I developed a numb patch on my back which got itchy. But could not get relief when I tried to scratch it because it was numb. The only way I could describe it like a site reaction from an injection but there's no red marks.   That passed and was ok for about two weeks. I started to feel numbness in the right side of my face in my forehead. Soon it started to spread down my face (my eye, right side of nose, top lip, right side of mouth, top of head making having a shower and washing my hair a nightmare). It feels like I have just come from the dentist after getting a filling. I'm now paranoid that I start drooling from my mouth as it feels like I am. This has gone on for 2 weeks now. I phoned the nurse last week and she said to me that there's nothing they can do because I'm already on Gabapentin. (Should point out this is a new nurse, my previous one took up a post elsewhere).   Any suggestions on what to do. My face gets quite itchy and I want to claw at the itch, but since it's on my face I can't.

• Face Numbness

Hi Guys   I'm experiencing face numbness on the top left side of my head. No pain just feels funny. Any ideas?   Thanks

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.