The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Guest zelinda

Gluten and Dairy Free

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest zelinda

Hi my personal assistant told me about 7 weeks ago about the guy she is now working with who has MS. He is on a gluten and dairy free diet. From what she said its a diet used by MSERS....and he has found since being on it, his legs have been less painful and tingly and also his fatigue has improved and he is going out more.

Well I thought in for a penny in for a pound and decided to try it. I substituted Soya Milk for my milk and buy gluten free bread, pasta, and cakes (yes cakes I love Mrs Crimbles especially the apple cake yummy).

After 6 weeks I have lost 6lbs in weight, I too have gained some energy and my legs I suppose although still tingly are not as severe, and I have noted definitely the burning in my right leg which bothered me every day has not appeared for a few weeks now.

I have no idea why gluten and dairy free would help MSERS, does anyone else know this diet or about it. Oh yes also no red meat which I dont really eat anyway.

I noticed prior to starting this diet that i would get a lot of stomach aches but since stopping I havent had one. However, IF I do eat anything with gluten in it does make my stomach ache again and bloat.

Just interested really has anyone else followed this diet and does it have a name? think.gif Zel

msmellie11

hi zel i dont think there is a specific name for this diet it seems it might help some of us but it may not help others must be careful not to steer from any medical treatment that is given bt anything else that helps is a bonus i might even try it myself as i suffer severe tingling and burning in my legs and i also suffer from bloatiness so thank you for your post it maybe very useful indeed xxhearts_circle.gif

LynneF

Hi there is a diet just like the one you've described and it's called 'The Best bet' diet. There are a lot of people with MS on it especially in the US. I've been gluten free for 6 years and I feel much better in that I don't get bloating anymore but I don't know if the progression of my MS would have been any faster. I have followed a dairy free, sugar free and processed food free diet in the past but I found it too strict, and I kept cheating. What I have noticed is that most people who change their lifestyles, even slightly, and have a positive outlook, seem to progress more slowly than those, who just carry on the same way and have a negative outlook. I think the power of the mind is a great thing.

• Like 1

HeidelsCorner

Hi everyone,

Well I know i'm a bit late to this party (when am I not??), but this is very interesting to me. I do suffer with the burning legs and the tingling and I have suspected for a while that I'm gluten-intolerant. I have been vegan before and actually it's the healthiest and best I've felt. I think it would not be a problem for me to switch back to soy milk or rice milk. How have you been finding it over the past 6 or so months? I might give this a whirl.

Thanks for the info about the best-bet diet. I'll also look this up.

Thanks!

Clare

Love 'n' Blessings

Clare x

Drums

Hey I am interested in this and new here but have been wheat sensitive for years and do wonder about a link ... hmmmm

Drums x

Wobbily yours

Drums xx

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Medication, Free, Alternatives to Medication .. Curious

I usually refer to my self as drug free, as with having got to the stage in my MS most of my disablitys outway the MS thesedays BUT I still believe in Multivitems, good diet, perstien sytem for bowls and meditation etc so Im not really drug free just maybe pharmasoutical free.   I seldom meet people who are drug free with MS and those that say they are usually find help in alternative therapys or herbal.   So Im now curious as to people if they feel there, shall we say pharmasoutical free what they do to controll or help symptoms ?   Has anyone come off the tablets etc and found really there MS is no diffrent than when they were on the medication?   excuse any spelling my voice is croaky and voice software is driving me potty.   Merry Christmas to All   Hugs Aims x

in General Discussion about MS

• Free Laughter Club online

I recently saw that it is possible to Laugh online. I think this should be fun. I do not know how it works but I think it is definitely worth a try. I think I will try and access it by typing Online Laughter Club into google otherwise I think I found it on the American International Laughter website. This is a really good idea as it means it would be possible to laugh everyday which would give maximum benefits and get around our mobility difficulties. In the east people choose to attend Laughter Clubs daily, in the west clubs tend to meet weekly.   I will give it a go and then let you know.

• Free MS Soc. excercise DVD

Hello All,   Have just posted his link to Derby42.   But figured it may be pretty useful for lots of us.   Introduced by Sally Gunnell for the MS Society. For all abilities, standing and sitting excercises to help us gently s-t-r-e-t-c-h and excercise those muscles!!   http://www.mssociety.org.uk/ms-resources/exercising-ms-dvd   Scully x

• free prescriptions

I have been paying for my prescriptions now for years and years. I notice from reading on another posting on this forum that it is possible to get free prescriptions. I currently have a pre-payment certificated that costs over £100 per year.   I must be elegible for free prescriptions! I believe there is a form FP92A that you have to get from your medical practice. But if anyone is interested there is a link online where you can download the form. It appears to be from another medical practice. I am unsure how they would take to the fact that people are downloading from their site but I have done it anyway :-)   FP92A  

• LDN, opiates, and gluten

Hi   I am wondering. LDN is an opiate blocker. There is a theory widely prescribed to especially in relation to autism that Gluten and Casein act as opiates in the body, and many autistic symptoms are improved by avoiding Gluten and Casein. If opiate blockers work for MS, perhaps people with MS should avoid Gluten and Dairy (and Spinach, which has similar chemicals - opiod peptides). Obviously there must be another mechanism at work (very different diseases), but if it could help... Refs. google GFCF diet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opioid_peptide     KR

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.