The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Hezza

Blue Badge Scheme Changes

20 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hezza

Hi all,

I came across this link to a frequently asked questions doc regarding the changes that are being made to the Blue Badge Scheme and thought it may be helpful to some members too.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/publications/blue-badge-scheme-faqs

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Sleepy
Scully

Thanks for that Hezza. It is good to know that they are tackling any fraudulent use of these badges. I would be in real trouble without mine.

Scully

X

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Christina

Thanks Cara. The slightly worrying thing is the independent mobility assessment, which for lots of people with MS may prove a stumbling block (pardon the pun). They are less likely to take into account symptoms like fatigue and fluctuations in mobility, especially for those who don't qualify for High rate mobility DLA.

I am happy that fraudulent use will be tackled but I fear some genuine users will lose badges as a result. This is already happening, I think one of our members recently reported a problem.

Chris x

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

mustard

Thanks Hezza, I didn't know about the changes. I read (well, skim-read) the article, but didn't see anything about how we would be sent the new badges? I have moved since I first applied so if they are automatically sent out it could go to my old address.... am not sure how to change my address with them, or if I need to, any ideas anyone?

RRMS, diagnosed 2010

Surprise baby due 31.7.13 - never been more excited!

Hezza

Chris, I share those concerns and will admit that I was glad I have mine sorted now for a wee while following our move. As I look fine outwardly and currently don't need to use walking sticks, crutches or a wheel chair I wonder how on earth I'd manage to convey the invisible bits, the pain and fatigue, to an assessor.

Mustard, sorry I can't remember, was your move local? If so and you're within the same council area then I'd just contact them to tell them about your change of address. If you've moved to a new council area then you may need to return your existing badge and reapply to your new council.

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Mustard. I'd have a browse through the local council's website.

That should tell you where the Blue Badge Administration is carried out and their phone number.

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

mustard

Thanks both, I shall do that. I was in such a haze of all this starting up when I applied for it that I can't remember at all how I went about it! It is in the same council area that I live so shouldn't be too much of a problem I guess.

I agree about the changes, I am really worried about the changes to DLA for the same reasons. None of the changes seem like they will cater for people with fluctuating conditions. I am trying not to think about it and just think that at least there are people out there who can help us with such things as claims/appeals/assessments. Thinking of the future is scary enough sometimes let alone when the government make it even more uncertain by messing with financial sides of things in this way. /rant

RRMS, diagnosed 2010

Christina

Hi Mustard

Is your badge up for renewal? I was just thinking that these new badges probably won't get given out until badges are due for renewal, but could be wrong.

Chris x

mustard

No, it's not until 2014 I think. Do they usually write when it is up for renewal?

While we're on the subject, does anyone know where you get those blue badge holders from? I always see other peoples with them looking all neat, and mine is getting seriously scuffed up! The clock is on it's last legs, and is definitely not going to last another 2years unless I get it some protection!

Mustard x

Edited by mustard

RRMS, diagnosed 2010

Procrastinating
Stumbler

In my experience of my local council, they will write when the badge is due to expire. They'll enclose the form(s) and instructions to allow you to renew your badge.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Christina

Local authorities usually write to remind you of the renewal. Those holders are available in lots of places, Amazon, the Red Cross shop etc Take a look on internet Mustard.

Chris x

Edited by Christina

Lilbill

Hi, I got a lovely pink leather holder for my blue badge/ time thingy from ebay, it was quite cheap. I thought the pink leather would stop some of the pensioners in supermarket carparks from asking me who's badge I was using! This seems to happen infuriatingly often, they either make some comment or loiter and watch how you are walking. I know this should not bother me and I should rise above it but I just can't help it angry3.gif!

Todays rant over, back to sleep (until school time) xx

Alison x

mustard

That is so rude when people do that! I've actually never had much of a problem in that respect, apart from once at Tesco when I parked in a disabled bay and I had my friend and her child in the car with me too, this woman came up to me and said "there is a parent and child space there if you want, this IS a disabled bay" I politely explained I did have a blue badge and gestured in the general direction of it! However it did prompt questions from my friends child as to why we were parking in a disabled space, ah well, he had to ask sometime!

A pink holder however, now that sounds very cool, although pink may clash with my red car... maybe I shall scour ebay for a purple one

hearts_circle.gif

Edited by mustard

RRMS, diagnosed 2010

Hezza

The first thing I did when my badge arrived was get it a pink leather holder :lolbash:

I got mine from amazon for less than

Christina

If you want to pay a whole lot more for one, have a look at the http://www.bluebadgecompany.co.uk/

Around

Sleepy
Scully

My blue badge is up for renewal at the end of October.

I've just looked at the new form for my area council and it's almost 11 pages long!!!! Almost like applying for DLA. I can understand and accept they need to weed out those who are fraudulently claiming them but do we really need another form of biblical proportions to complete? Most of the questions are very similar to the DLA and ESA forms, you would think that all these agencies would actually talk to each other and share information?? Or am I just missing the point somewhere?

When I got it over 2 years ago, my GP filled out his bit, saying that it should be renewed automatically due to the deteriorating condition that is PPMS. But I do wonder whether that will hold any weight now, who knows.

Have decided that if the blue badge is revoked......I'm gonna buy a scooter! Maybe one of those ones that does 30mph........look out Sainsbury!

Scully

"The truth is out there"

Christina

Hi Scully

Sounds like overkill to me. Have you been awarded high rate mobility of DLA, because usually that entitles you to an automatic badge. Are your council expecting you to fill out pages of forms even if you have this?

Mine is due for renewal in August. Have just looked at my council's application procedure and nothing seems to have changed - yet :flowerface:

Chris x

Procrastinating
Stumbler

I've just renewed mine (December).

Straightforward one page application. A copy of my DLA renewal letter was requested.

Scully, I'm under West Sussex, like you............

Edited by Stumbler

mackers758

My blue badge is up for renewal at the end of October.

I've just looked at the new form for my area council and it's almost 11 pages long!!!!

Scully

Scully, There should be something in the first or second pages that asks if you get higher rate or WPMS tick box. That is it, nothing further need be filled out.

That's all I had to do ealry last year.

Steve

Sleepy
Scully

Aha!!!!!

Yes I do get higher rate mobility with DLA. I only skimmed through the pages on their website and missed that bit. Phew!

Thanks guys

Scully

x

"The truth is out there"