The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Heste

The Bionic Man

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

Heste

So yesterday I attended a hospital appointment to try out the FES (Functional Electrical Stimulator) for my foot drop.

They rolled up my trouser leg and applied two little sticky pads, one to my shin and one just below the side of my knee (the top of my fibular). These pads have wires going to a little box on my belt. Another wire goes down to a little pressure switch under my heal.

When they turned it on my foot twisted sideways...they adjusted the position of one of the pads by a millimetre or so and tried again. My dropped foot rose. Hurrah!

Then we went for a little walk. When I put the weight on my heal it does nothing but as I move and take the weight off it leaps into life and raises my foot. It works perfectly.

We tried a few timed tests walking up and down the corridor with and without the device working. In no time at all we could see that I was walking faster and striding longer. What a difference it makes!

I still need my stick. It does nothing for my balance. The theory says I should be less fatigued as I will be walking with less effort.

One thing I found was that it made me very aware that when I just stand still I am putting all my weight on my right leg and my stick. I don't put my weight on my left foot (the one with the foot drop). If I don't put my weight on the pressure switch then it tries to fire when I am standing still. You soon learn to stand evenly just to keep it still. However, you can, and must, turn it off when sitting or driving.

There is a downside. My PCT will not pay for this little box. It will cost me

• Like 2

PTN

Thats sounds pretty good Heste, do they make one for willies ?

• Like 1

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Behave yourself, PTN! :lmao2:

:moonieman:

• Like 1

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

angeltess

That sounds pretty amazing and probably worth every penny.

Haha, PTN, thought it was my duty to have a bit of female input to keep you chaps in order before things get really out of control. :censored:

Jan. xx.

• Like 1

Broken wings can heal and mend again. Don't be afraid to cry your tears out loud. Everybody needs to have a friend. Wishbone Ash.

derby42

It was funny though!

• Like 1

derby x

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Heste,

The FES sounds truly like a bionic aid. I wish you well with your weeks trial. It seems wrong to me that it isn't available via NHS sources.....they'll be charging us for pace makers soon!

Definitely think a biro will do the job, rather than a tattoo to mark the spot for the pads.

Seriously though, let us know how the week works out with your new found bionic aid?

Scully

x

PTN....... :censored:

• Like 1

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

happyandy

Hi John

If it continues to make the difference you experienced I believe it would be a worthwhile investment.

Just spend some of the money you save not buying meat or dairy products halo.gif

Andy

• Like 1

If I knew I was going to live so long I would have taken better care of my body

lavender

Some very great and funny replys :clapping: , please keep us updated how you get on . things are getting so clever ! yes fix your ipod to it , affix some intruments to you , you tap your foot ! One man band !! hat ready at your feet . help pay for it ha ha :man: sue xx

• Like 1

Heste

Well, I am on day three of my trial with the FES device.

It was fitted at the hospital on Monday.

On Tuesday I fitted it myself in the morning and then went to the hospital (as planned) for them to make sure I fitted it correctly. It was not bad but she moved the pads a little. She also adjusted the timing between me lifting my foot and it firing the impulse.

On Tuesday night I drew round the pads with a biro before I took them off.

On Wednesday morning I was working in the office with it on (pads carefully placed on the biro marks). I am walking much easier, faster,....and then stopping as the connector to the heel switch keeps coming apart. They have given me an old FES (which is all they have). On the new ones the connectors lock together. This one now has sticky tape holding it together. At the end of the day (that's now) the muscles concerned are aching. I am still fatigued but then this device is not going to fix that in just a week.

This little device, while a hassle to set up every morning and not that comfortable to wear, is making a difference. Today I had people, who didn't know I had the device, saying how well I was walking (they mean how much faster).

I still walk with a stick. I am walking more normally but it does nothing for my balance.

So, so far so good.

Regards,

John :cowboy:

• Like 3

Christina

This is certainly a device to bear in mind for the future. My walking has become slower and slower and my right leg is hard to lift. Consequently I'm catching my foot and tripping on carpet lolbash.gif I will be interested to hear further news John.

Chris x

• Like 1

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

lucky

I USED ONE OF THESE FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS 9 YEARS AGO. ITS BRILLIANT.

Edited by lucky
  • Like 1

Sleepy
Scully

Glad you are making some progress with it John.

As Chris says, something to bear in mind for the future maybe?

Well done for giving it a go. And if others are noticing your walking speed, then it has to be good huh?

Scully

• Like 1

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Heste

Day Four

Well, it's still working.

Today I am very tired. I think this is because I have been overdoing it. Because I can walk faster and more normally I think I have been walking further and doing more than I really should. This device is very good but it's not a cure.

I have not had any skin reaction to the pads but then they are the more expensive hypoallergenic pads. If I get my own FES I will try the ordinary pads and see if I react to them.

I have a solution for the dodgy connector problem. I tied my shoelace over the connector and this is holding it in place.

I must remember to switch it off when I sit down. I keep sitting down only have it firing my leg muscles as soon as the weight comes off my heel. The 'Pause' button is very useful. The dial could do with having a feel-able click as it passing each setting number so I could turn it to setting 5 by just turning the control without having to take it out of my pocket. Instead, every time I turn it on I have get it out of my pocket and put my reading glasses on. The alternative is to just keep turning the control until my foot lifts.

The impulse you feel is a little weird. It's like an electric shock (which, of course, is exactly what it is). I can understand why some people might not get on with it. On the other hand you soon get used to it.

My biggest concern, whoever ends up paying for it, is the possibility of not being able to use it once I have it. I have Psoriasis to add to my autoimmune diseases and if this affected the places where the pads go then its game over. A cat scratch (I have plenty, cats and scratches) or any break in the skin stops you using it until the wound heals.

Oh well, back in the office with it tomorrow. More jokes about the 6 million dollar man. More humming the theme tune as I walk in. More jokes about where else I might put the pads. Oh they are so original.doomed.png

Talking of office jokes, I was heading into the lift a couple of weeks ago when someone who works for my company who was already in the lift called out "hurry up slow coach!". He didn't know me and hadn't seen my stick. As I entered the lift the look on his face was priceless. It was the look of someone who wanted the ground to swallow him immediately. He apologised profusely. I just smiled and said 'that's OK...what floor are HR on?".

Regards,

John cowboy.gif

• Like 2

Procrastinating
Stumbler

John, don't discount that the muscles may start to "re-learn" how to work.

You've already suggested that the muscles were aching, so they must be getting some benefit.

I'd also imagine that an up-to-date FES would incorporate some of the things on your wish-list.

Good luck with the trial.

:moonieman:

• Like 1

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Heste

Well, after four months of waiting, my Primary Care Trust finally got around to responding to my GPs request for them to fund a FES device for me.....they said no.

Now you might think this is bad news but its is exactly what I expected. Now I have been declined I can appeal.

The other good news is that they have declined on the grounds of lack of medical evidence. Why is this good news? I hear you think, well, NICE have recommended the FES as an intervention procedure. This does not compel the PCT to fund it but they cannot claim they are declining due to lack of medical evidence as NICE would not recommend it if that was the case. The PCT would have to change their reason. Lack of money might be a good one. But in the process of changing their reason I have an opportunity to tell them the very good reason they might reconsider.

My hopes are not that high but in a way it is going to plan. Hopefully the appeal will be a bit quicker than my progress so far.

Regards,

John cowboy.gif

• Like 3

Hezza

Thanks for the update and good luck with the appeal, Heste.

As you say, the reason they have given does give you some leverage with the appeal. Time will tell if it is enough. Fingers crossed!

• Like 3

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Jelly

Good luck with your appeal.

I hadn't heard anything about this device before. It does sound like a useful way to help those with foot drop to walk more normally.

• Like 2