The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Sandra Dee

Have you heard of Suise Cornell

68 posts in this topic Last Reply

sharron

iam also cynical iam afraid.So like alot of us ,she has ms,so i imagine she has been through the battles and struggles. If i tomorrow ,found a cure or something similar,to a cure,knowing so many other people are living with ms,i would personally not want to make a profit on other peoples struggles with this condition...........but thats me. i have secondary progressive ms. if you find it helps you ,then thats brilliant. tc x

• Like 3

davslav

Good on you Sharron---I couldn't put it better myself.Bewere of snakeoil merchants, temporary remisiom,food to eat--food to avoid.

There are lots of clinical trails for real "cure",just a methar of time.Research your family history and there is an answer.Years ago they had no name for it.now we know its MS and it is a shame some profit from empty promis.I belive in science and science will find an answer.Sadly to lite for some.

• Like 1

Nick

This is the thing, there is a difference between medical science and phycology. A rapid increase in the scientific nature of understanding MS is great but also reveals the huge complexity of the human brain and how it works and how it could be 'fixed'. This shows we still know little and that we still have a long way to go. On the phycological side giving support to people who have MS, and in particular those who are recently diagnosed can be a huge help. Many of us (me included) have faith in our neurologist and his depth of understanding of both the science side of MS and also the phycological side. Of course the problem arises with those 'miracle cures' these consist mainly of pseudo science and pseudo phycology. A logical mind says that is all total rubbish, however, as seen in many scientific studies there is the placebo effect which is not properly understood and which is real. This can be useful but the dangers of the 'snake oil seller' are clearly to be avoided. Better to use this forum which is a good example of a self help group being very useful to many people and a good way to weave a path through all these complications.

• Like 2

Just another Warrior...........

davslav

How true,,,,I get mad when they promise "cure"by "eat that ,avoid this",,,,, we all want cure.Psychology plays a big part here,,no denying that.I sufered long enough to know that. Charcot project talk about scientist ,viruses etc.I'd rather spend my time following progress there,,,,.remember stomach ulcer?????Being self employed I should have had a dozen.My neurologist died last year,now I only have a woman GP and computer.

Nice to hear from you Nick.Stir it up,,,,,,,get rid of oportunists.( blood sucking bugs )

Nick

Well I'm glad you agree on the phycological aspect Davslav, that's one thing I had a lot of trouble with and still need to watch it.....but don't get to cynical here! The support side is so important and I was lucky to have been able to meet a few people with MS when I was first diagnosed. This can make a big difference, yet if you don't have this chance then there is a place for somebody who can be your support. Of course here lies the problem and it's down to a matter of trust as to who can provide such support. Understanding that there is simply no cure for MS is perhaps, strangely, a good place to start, after all life sucks, MS or no MS and everyone has to make the best of what life throws at them. It may suit some people to get support from places that others would avoid.

• Like 1

Just another Warrior...........

TracyH

I really do have to redress the balance to Bigbird’s comments. Susie Cornell has had amazing results with my brother who has had MS for 15 years or so now. Quite frankly, I don’t know where we would be without her. Her approach is a simple one - to tackle the body as a whole – mind, body and spirit . She has MS herself which gives her a great insight into how sufferers feel and what they are going through.

I gather from Bigbirds post, that she has not actually been to see Susie. She simply telephoned for trial data. As it was not forthcoming, Bigbird felt it acceptable to rubbish Susie on this website and made throw away comments about extra-terrestials and MBE’s Susie does have an MBE, but this is merely mentioned in the “about me” section of Susie’s website. It’s hardly self promotion. I have never heard Susie talk about extra terrestials. By throwing this kind of comment in the mix, it makes it sound like she is a charlatan. Susie used to write a column and many articles for MS Pathways magazine which is the magazine published by one of the largest UK MS societies, so she can hardly be a fraud.

The reason no clinical trials have taken place in her line of work is because of lack of funds. Trials are usually sponsored by large pharmaceutical companies and they are not interested in funding trials into an approach of nutrition, supplements, exercise etc. There is no money in it for them.

I completely understand that Susie’s methods are not for everyone, but they do, and she does, help many people. You have to stick with the program, but you will get results. I am not saying you will jump out your wheelchair, but the sound, personalized, nutritional advice she gives would benefit anyone. I would hate to think that someone who could benefit from her advice has now been put off by comments on this thread. My brother is living proof that her methods do work for some people.

eliza

I don't want this to turn into an argument and so pleased your brother is doing well. I am into my 15 years of ms and no-one can tell there is anything wrong with me it all depends on what parts of the brain are damaged. A lot of people swear by DMD's but they don't know what they would of been like without them.

I am not knocking Susie Cornell as she has obviously brought the importance of looking into things for yourself to a lot of people and if people can afford it good on them. I also would offer my services for free , if I felt what I was doing would help others.

This website and other sites are a great source of info and personal experiences are the most useful.

I checked out the internet for good reviews of her clients and unfortunately I found this info.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/susie-cornell-the-cornell-centre-spring-health-leisure-club/chelmsford-essex-united-kingdom-select-stateprovince-cm2-9dz/susie-cornell-the-cornell-centre-spring-health-leisure-club-fake-bioresonance-therapis-790319

Like I say I don't want it to become an argument . just thought I would put another slant on it . If she has helped just a few people that is fantastic and maybe she has inspired them to look into other things to help their own particular MS.

I could stand in a church hall and give out orange smarties (a quote from my neuro) and people would buy them as we are desperate for a cure. Especially as unlike Susie I don't need any help to take me to the toilet. I could run jump balance on one leg, that is only because unlike Susie who admits she sat on her bum for 10 years waiting for a cure I have been as pro-active in exercise sensible diet and being open minded.

So yes if you cant help yourself and you have the money no harm done. may your brother have many more active years.

Just edited to say whilst I am doing well after all this time, I could go rapidly down hill from tomorrow (hope not ) but is a possibility

Edited by Marina
  • Like 2

Bigbird

Well said Eliza

The quip about there being no scientific data doesn't hold up. If you are promoting something that is supposed to help people with a medical problem then it is only right to carry out double blind trials before making claims.

She talks about bioresonance therapy. Better known as a pseudoscientific therapy proposing electromagnetic waves can diagnose and treat disease. The alleged effects are no better than a placebo.

And no I haven't visited her. The responses she gave in her emails were farcical. She has no medical or dietary qualifications. Everyone knows about the benefits of a healthy diet.

I'm glad your brother is doing ok. I was fine for 20 years after my first relapse and had no treatment whatsoever. It happens. That's the beauty of MS, it affects everyone differently.

Life's too short to be subtle

TracyH

Good Lord, I don't want to start an argument either! I am sorry if I caused offence! I am constantly reading about ms, how its works, what can help etc etc. When I joined this forum it was not to ask any questions or write a post. It was more homework, if you like. I believe Susie Cornell has truly helped my brother. I believe that wholeheartedly which is why I felt the need to champion her and the work she does. I had to try and redress the balance, because it may help someone else.

My brother lives alone and gets extremely, extremely depressed when he has a relapse. He only has me as support. I have no support, except for susie. I speak from the heart, not to be argumentative or knowledgeable about ms, but because I want others to experience the same help and guidance I have been given.

I wish both of you the very best. I honestly do. Its bad enough having ms without having to forum argue! That was not my intention.

eliza

Your brother is so lucky to have your support. He must not get depressed and if Susie C helps to stop that its better than anti depressant its good to believe you are helping yourself.

There is loads of people and loads of stuff from magnet therapy to bee sting and all sorts and some people it will help. The nature of this illness is so unpredictable. When I was first affected I went on Dr Swank diet and I would of sworn that helped me after a few months I was fine so wanted to shout it to the world.

Diet does help I believe like an athlete you have to put good stuff in to perform at your best. I now believe a healthy less processed food with the occasional treat is the way to go.

so Tracy carry on researching to make his life a bit better and tell him to join us when feeling down. Not the best start. please come back and we will try and be gentle next time.

Sluggish
Marina

As others have said, if a particular therapy seems to help, then all to the good. It's just that some alternative or non-conformist therapies, particularly those which make claims suggestive of "cures" and/or with lots of self-promotion (financial and otherwise) and which aren't recognised as possible treatments for MS by the medical world, will elicit negative views - such as appeared in earlier posts in this topic or in topics relating to other therapies or “cures”, including this other one on Susie Cornell: http://ms-people.com/forum/topic/19581-susie-cornells-ms-advise-and-help/

Phrases like “help to return you to good health” [2014] and “gives the body back the power to heal itself” [2012, around the time of the original post in this topic, in relation to e-Lybra] tend to imply that the therapy does more than proven traditional medication or therapies (for MS).

We've had 2 members (I'm not referring to you, Tracy) who joined and posted nothing else other than a single post to praise Susie Cornell and then never came back; the same happens with topics here on other non-conformist therapies. That sort of (lack of) activity also tends to draw suspicions, as it appears to be a promotional statement rather than encourage friendly discussion.

MSers have enough worries with there being little that helps our very varied symptoms, particularly for those with progressive MS where there is very little, if anything, that might help. Some will therefore interpret these types of alternative or unorthodox therapies, especially if they claim to help the “body” (ie, all symptoms), as preying on the vulnerable.

• Like 4

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

TracyH

Eliza, if only my brother were to join a forum. I think he would get invaluable support. When I read posts on various forums, I do get a real sense of comraidship, if that is the right phrase to use. I certainly get a lot from them.

Marina, I hear exactly what you are saying, and you have made some excellent points. I don't think you can be too cautious with anything these days, least of all with your health. I do very much care about my brother and in turn I feel a great sympathy for other sufferers and their families. That is why I would hate to think I have offended anyone on this forum. I genuinely have found susie c to have been the most invaluable person on my brothers journey. When I read all the negative stuff, I am thinking they cannot possibly be referring the same person. It has unsettled me if I am honest.

Bigbird

Tracy

The MS team at your brothers hospital should have a psychologist as a member. He/she may be helpful for your brother. The MS nurse or your brothers consultant will know. Give them a ting and explain about the depression. They are qualified in these areas.

BB

Life's too short to be subtle

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Tracy,

I'm sure that IF this Susie C had come up with this miraculous 'cure' or freedom from MS, absolutely everyone would have heard of it and all the professional and highly qualified Neurologists would be demanding that we all follow her advice....they aren't.

Anyone with a lifelong, debilitating and progressive condition such as MS, would jump at a miracle proven cure. And to parade oneself as being able to deliver this to sufferers, in exchange for quite a lot of money will make most people be sceptical.

I'm sorry but anyone who advocates using a magic pendant or sleeping with it under our pillows, I cannot begin to take seriously.

I do believe however that there may be some suggestive therapy going on here. Similar to hypnotism. I'm not saying she's hypnotising people, only that some of us are more prone to accepting something, anything in fact, that we believe may help some people. Almost like a 'placebo' effect.

In your position, I would definitely have some discussion with the neurologist and see what their view is on the person.

Following a healthy balanced diet and exercise regime as well as taking advice from a neurological team would seem a more sensible approach?

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

TracyH

Hi Scully

If only we could find a conventional cure. So many people are getting diagnosed these days. I have my brother plus 3 friends!

I get what you are saying and understand completely where you are coming from.

This link goes way back to 2012, when one lady asked the question "Have you heard of Susie Cornell?". I was simply answering that question. I have, and in my opinion, she has done wonders. I can only speak for myself and what I have experienced. I am not trying to convert people to my way of thinking. Of my 3 friends, one has been to see Susie and rates her highly, the other two are not interested. So like this forum, its a mixed bag.

My brother does visit the MS nurse twice a year and sees his neurologist regularly. He likes to mix the conventional and non-conventional together. Neither of them have a problem with him visiting Susie. Even if they did, he would go anyone - he's a stubbon old sod sometimes!

T

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Tracy,

I do understand what you are saying about your brother, and if he's gaining some positive mental attitude from it then that in itself is having a good effect.

Like others, I'm simply more thwn a little wary, there have been so many of these 'I can help you' remedies about, most of which are not all they seem to be. It's a case of being minded that some sufferers, newly diagnosed especially are particularly vulnerable.

It's just points of views really, which are best aired in such forums as these, at least then people can make their minds up after reading varying degrees of those points of views.

Let's hope he continues to feel some benefit huh?

Scully

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

TracyH

That's the aim of the game Scully.

I will continue to read and learn as much as I can about this disease. For someone who hasn't got it themselves, I am obsessed with reading everything I can about it!

I hope to see your emoticon change from "in pain" soon.

Tracy

GillyC

Hi

I came across Susie Cornell, when looking for an alternative health approach to MS. On my first visit to Susie I was a little taken aback by the E lybra, Bioresonance system and was very sceptical. However, once in the chair I thought I had nothing to lose. It really is amazing in terms of the insights it provides in terms of your physical and mental state of health. I have since returned to see Susie on numerous occasions and each time have taken away a nugget of information that has helped me improve my condition and general feeling of wellness. Susie has never claimed to have all the answers or offered a 'cure', but she is very wise and extremely knowledgeable. I have since recommended many of my friends to visit her and all have found her to be extremely helpful. She is very generous with her time and her knowledge and is always available post consultation for a chat or support when you have a problem. Susie's approach is very different to an orthodox medical approach and you have to have an open mind and be prepared to put the work in at home with diet and nutrition. Whilst i can't understand how the E lybra system works, I know from experience that it is amazingly accurate and it has helped to diagnose a condition my mother suffered from and despite numerous hospital visits, tests etc was unable to obtain diagnosis.