The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Frecks

A little reassurance

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Frecks

Hi all,

haven't been on here for a while. Hoping for a little reassurance to calm my niggling anxieties. Short story - on Avonex for about 1yr. Things going well until this week, developed pins and needles down left side from head to toes. Pins and needles is not a new symptom, I have experienced it before in the same areas. Thought it might be a UTI so dipsticked my urine and +ve to leukocytes and that's it. Sent it off to get tested and my manager (we're nurses) gave me some antibiotics in case. Result today showed no growth but white cells were present. Has anyone else had this where urine has shown no growth? I can't help but feel a little anxious to have symptoms again as apart from mild pins and needles I've not had any major symptoms since starting avonex. It's to be expected right? I'm worried its a relapse and not just a blip but I suppose just have to wait and see how it plays out.

Thanks

Kate

Christina

Absolutely Kate. If it's reassuring, virtually every time I've been for steroids, my urine is positive for leucocytes and when the MSU returns there's nothing to treat. I hope this is just a blip, but you're right only time will tell.

Take care

Chris x

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

happyandy

Ok ladies

I have a rough idea what leucocytes are but what are you dipsticking with ? By growth Would I be correct that you mean elevated showing the presence of an infection ?

PS my leucocytes levels are routinely low and that is put down to DMDs not sure what that means Or why DMDs would have that effect.

If I knew I was going to live so long I would have taken better care of my body

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Kate,

I intermittently self catheterise, so I often dip my urine with the Reagency Urine sticks. I often have leucocytes present, but, if the stick shows protein as well, then I send it off to the doctors for lab testing.

If I have even a slight UTI it sends my sensory symptoms into overdrive, so hopefully, yours may be a mild UTI that has just upset the MS a little.

Let's hope the antibiotics do their job and your pins and needles ease up for you and this isn't the start of a relapse, fingers crossed.

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Christina

sorry.gif Andy

It's nursing jargon that Frecks and I slipped into there. Leucocytes are white cells and if the levels are raised, that indicates a possible infection.

A dipstick is what's used to test urine. Basically you submerge it in the urine for a few seconds, then take it out and see what the colours show. It gives a rough idea of what's present, ie protein, leucocytes, blood, nitrites, glucose.

If you also have urinary symptoms, then antibiotics can be prescribed straight away rather than waiting for the lab test to return. However, it's quite common to see a raised level of white cells without there being an infection as such. For a truly accurate result, it needs a lab test on a mid stream urine (MSU) sample to see if antibiotics are really needed.

I imagine you're talking about low white blood cells in your blood test? As DMDs are modulating the immune system, I can see why that would alter those cells.

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by Christina

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

Tania B

UCL are conducting a bladder research programme using advanced urine tests to look for infection that may have otherwise gone undetected and new methods of treating these infections. Ordinary laboratory testing may miss more than half of infections, often causing frustration at the difference between patients

Frecks

thanx.gif so much for replies, much appreciated. Firstly Andy sorry for nursing talk, I forget sometimes. It's good to hear all your experiences, I do find it reassuring. Tania, that's very interesting to hear. It's been so nice to have virtually no problems going on with the MS so when all these symptoms started it triggered my anxieties, after having 2months off sick last year, I don't want any repeats!. I suppose MS just wanted to remind me its still therelol4.gif I know getting anxious and stressed is the worst thing to do. I'm sure its all a blip (positive thinking) and it will hopefully pass quickly. My nurse said to call her again if things don't settle.

Thanks again, it's so good to have somewhere to come for that reassurance we all need at times.

Take care everyone

Kate xx