The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Sign in to follow this  
gingermagic

A moving speech about the way forward

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

gingermagic

Billion year old carbon

Willow

Wow, that made me cry, so very moving. It should be everyones human right to have access to adequate health care no matter where you live but alas it always seems to come down to money, such a shame x

happyandy

When I had my heart stents fitted and blood was going where it should I felt better than I had done in years.

Until recently I haven't been affected by MS Fatigue to often, maybe once or twice in two or three years. My MS is is characterised by limbs going completely numb, vertigo, cognitive dysfunction and neuropathic pain.

CCSVI from what I have read seems to help people who have fatigue.

We could do with a big trial to give an empiric verdict on the theory's validity. So far no trial has given positive results. I fear if a test was carried out and it proved that CCSVI was not helping, we will get the "Big Pharma" conspiracies again.

I think it would be worth while carrying out a trial if only so that people did not have to spend thousands getting "treatment" abroad.

Andy

• Like 1

If I knew I was going to live so long I would have taken better care of my body

gingermagic

You are right Andy that CCSVI has distinct symptoms. One of which is fatigue. However it is sad that even those with ms are calling CCSVI a 'theorey'. Clinical trails are one thing, knowing, personally many people who have found benefit from this a no-one who has not. Why not investigate hope. The best hope that we have had.......ever

• Like 1

Billion year old carbon

Bigbird

Andy

A trial is being carried out in Canada so hopefully there will be results eventually. Not sure how they do a blind trial but that for them to sort out.

I like the sound of his mother. She sounds like my sort of gal.

There have been videos on YouTube with people initially being positive but after a few months being less so. And there have been reported deaths so it can be risky, but then so can crossing the road.

We'll see what transpires but whether it'll ever be on the NHS who knows?

Edited by Bigbird

Life's too short to be subtle

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Topics

• Moving your body!

I have lived with MS  14 years ( now SPMS), I’m housebound but I’m not in wheelchair! I walk and balance a bit dodgy !! I try to exercise so I don’t seize up and I teach other warriors exercises too !! It’s great mentally & physically! It increases fitness, endurance, strength, flexibility, gait, posture, balance, coordination and mood ! Decreasing spasisity, pain, weight, fatigue!! If you have MS like me ... If your balance is not good... If your walking is dodgy... If your body is seizing up... If your symptoms are exacerbating... DO THIS, SEATED, STANDING, LYING ONLY: “Multiple Sclerosis Fitness with Jayne MSer & Warrior “: YouTube U.K. Try if you are able to 💋Big hug 💋 Encouragement, inspiration and help is all I want to give!!!!!    

in General Discussion about MS

• Swallowing, speech and choking

For many years, I've had throat problems due to MS. At times, the swallowing mechanism reaches up and grabs food before I've thoroughly chewed it. At other times, a small seed or nut is lodged in my throat, leaving the sensation it is still there even when the choking coughs have dislodged it. All this has caused me much embarrassment as food is often splattered around by the coughs. Not a pretty sight.   And now... last Sunday, I was in bed, lolling after a nice cup of tea. No sensation of choking or lodged er… tea! But, of its own accord (pun intended) my throat closed. Thus I could neither breathe or speak. It felt like many minutes, lasted seconds. I thumped DH just so he would know distress was present. Then I reached for a glass of water, and happily my throat allowed the sip through, followed by many thankful swallows.   My throat has tightened to various degrees since Sunday so I await a chat with a GP this afternoon.   It's just another one of those things that are sent to try us... 

• Speech problem

Hi everyone. I have recently started to to find it difficult to speak when I get tired. I feel as though my lips are rubber and saliva starts to come out of the corners of my mouth. My speech sounds a bit slurred. I've had a swallowing problem for many years, but my speech has always been fine. Does anyone else experience this just when they get tired, with normal speech the rest of the time? Many thanks to anyone who replies.

• Speech problems

I'm in state this morning, my speech isn't slurred or anything but I feel as if when I open my mouth nothing might come out. So far it's ok and my thought process is ok, but I'm terrified.   Anyone else had similar?

• Maybe moving areas...., neuro dept considerations...

Hi All, As some of you know I went back to college this september to start an Access to Higher Education course, with the view to going to Uni next year. I live in Cambridge, so if I stay local I have either actual Cambridge as a choice, or the 'other uni' which is ranked 106 out of 116 in the country .... talk about both ends of the spectrum! So, considering I am going to leave with the same amount of debt no matter where I go, I figure I might get more bang for my buck if I choose the best uni I can academically manage to get in to. There are so many practicalities to consider with regards to moving, and MS is not helping.   As I am on Tysabri, I would want to be sure I could still have that if I moved areas. Does anyone know if this would definitely be possible anywhere I go, or could some areas refuse it? (for instance if they have different criteria or a limited number of patients allowed on it or something?)   I keep meaning to ring the MS nurse about it, but am putting it off as I feel a bit bad for bothering them with that and not something directly medical.....so I thought I'd just ask here to see if anyone has any experience of moving areas and the differences in treatment etc.   Also, if I stay locally, and go to the less prestigious (or rather, not prestigious) Uni, then I have the chance to study in Canada in the 2nd year for 6months, this is very appealing to me because I have always wanted to go to Canada and feel it would be a good in between of not moving away but still having a good experience. Does anyone know what implications that might have for treatment, continuing tysabri etc? Someone suggested to me I might not be allowed a visa in to the country due to health reasons, is that possible?   Any thoughts are much appreciated on this, I have a big decision to make and have got to make it quick if I'm going to apply to anywhere decent, I need to get it done in the next couple weeks.....arrrghhhh.....   Now back to that personal statement *lesigh*..   Mustard

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.