The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Sign in to follow this  
xxmariannexx

ESA form causing upset

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

xxmariannexx

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone Ian feeling ok today. I've not been on for a while just been in a kind a daze lately. I was in hospital last week for tests and review. The psychologist has decided I need counselling, to see if that can help me to walk properly again.

I have applied for ESA and they have sent me another form to fill in about what's wrong with me and it is just upsetting me. I just get scared that I fill it in wrong, I forget dates and appointments and they want to know. But the thing that upsets me the most is I have to go over everything that is wrong with me and be reminded of everything I can't do. These forms really should come with a box of tissues.

Sorry for going on

marianne xxx

happyandy

Marianne,

With filling these forms, I find it tiresome almost like being a professional disabled person but the best thing is get Citizens Advice to fill it in. They know the specific keywords that help to score points.

What you need to do is dissociate yourself from the person being described in the form. After all its only a depiction of you on your worst day.

I am afraid its something you have to do to get the enhanced benefit otherwise its Jobseekers at half the value with no emotional form filling.

Andy

• Like 1

If I knew I was going to live so long I would have taken better care of my body

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Marianne,

This form-filling is one good reason for getting someone experienced to assist you in completion.

You have to be completely objective about yourself and the problems that you face. As you've already intimated, this can get a bit emotional and you can start minimising the impact of symptoms.

Having a third party helps you to detach yourself from the form filling exercise. And ensures that objectivity is maintained.

Citizens Advice bureaux can help.

Hope this helps

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Christina

I agree, CAB is good at helping, but getting to a CAB office may be difficult and the wait to see someone is off putting if you're not so well.

We've recommended the Benefits and Work website before, lots of us have used them. It may be easier for you to use them too?

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.

There is a subscription but it's well worth it.

You're not the only one to feel upset by the emotions it raises when filling out these things, believe me. hugs2.gif

I hope you get some answers to what's causing your walking problems Marianne.

Chris x

Edited by Christina

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

Bigbird

I know someone who works at our local dial house and they can help too. I think they are pretty nation wide.

• Like 1

Life's too short to be subtle

derby42

hi there. i agree. i had someone come and fill my dla form in and couldn't stop crying while they were here. definitely couldn't have done it myself. get some help.

derby x

LynnWilliams

I had a look and the benefits and work and i too am subscribing very interesting.My Ms Nurse said she would help me with my form when they do my review. Maybe if you have a ms nurse or a nice gp they would help you too.I know mine would.;)

Sleepy
Scully

All good advice there for you Marianne!

The CAB and DIAL are brilliant, they will help out no end in filling the forms in for you.

I got a little upset when I filled out my DLA form too. I know I had to complete it for my worst day, but actually writing it all down, it was almost like re-living a nightmare. But, the others are right, detach yourself when it's being completed.

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

xxmariannexx

Wow thank you all so much for your advice and good to know I'm not alone in how I feel.

marianne x

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Topics

• can shock and upset make ms woorse ?

a long story short,i finally got my dog back from my ex husband after a couple of years,dexter was in bad shape,lumps,and bad back legs.took him to vet on the Wednesday,vet said it would be better if dexter was put down,he died with me cuddling him.had a relapse a few months back put on steroids speech went back to normal.speaking to my son on the phone last night he said my speech was getting bad again,i.e,slow and slurred.is it possible losing my dog has done this ? can shock and upset make symptons worse if so,this quickly ? any advice would be great. tc guys,xx

in General Discussion about MS

• DLA claim form

Can anyone give me some halpful advices about filling in a DLA form?   Please!

• Whohoo to my Slap Dash DLA Application form

You may remember me talking about my 2 hour DLA application form that I did not fill in myself... I was not able to write and the chap at Dial House helped, but he had not long come out of hospital from an op on his right hand... I was soo frightened is was not good enough as soo many people seemed to take weeks to do a form... this was done in an hour an a half I think and the writing was much to be desired (not his fault).... so much so I tried to tidy bits of it up as I was concerned is was a little ruff.. so with my leftie I tried to dot some i's and cross some t's.. anyway... Oh my gosh.. I got it!!!.... I am sooo thrilled... it will make soo much difference to me.... I have also joined an agency for some temp work in the hope of just seeing how I go on just a few days a week... Told them I need a chilled sit down job. Maybe 1 day first.. I really want to try and be in the outside world again.... Appreciating i may not be the most flexible candidate... But i thought to try...Annnddd guess what I spoke to the poeple that I paid to do the Excercise to music course and they are letting me do the written part i didnt do free of charge.. I did the dancing bit back in jan...im not sure i will be able to dance.. Well i can hope things get better..mwe will see.... But at least i will have completed it once i do the theory... And have it under my belt as an achievement.... Luckily I paid for this in Dec to do it in Jan but i was not really that brill at the time and asked them to put it on the back burner... it was just too much.. I was not able to cope...it was weird... two weeks later I was in A&E and a few days after that I was told I had MS... so no surprise I could not handle it. I cannot believe how my luck is up..... Annnd there is more..... someone I met some time ago has got in touch... we were never an item... just special to each other, (very special I think) I guess we thought a lot of each other... but were both not emotionally available... circumstances etc....and now.... well... I don't know yet... but it is sooo lovely to hear from him.... Initially I was not going to tell him about the MS.... I didn't want him to run... but I guess if he is special he won't and if I am special there is another good reason for him not running.... his reply was... It will be harder than that to get rid of me.... she displays a big GRIN. :))   He told me to listen to this song... maybe others feel the same about someone and could share it to show they care.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8UeeIAJ0a0   Life is soooo much easier with some lightness.... it is amazing.... I am sooo going to project good, positive things.... it works.   x   I hope others are feeling good.... I read lots of things where my heart gets pulled on here.... part of me feels a wee bad for feeling sooo blessed right now..... hopefully I can share some hope around... sprinkle sprinkle my multi coloured dust.   xxx  

• Another, 'don't know what's causing the symptoms' newbie

Hello everyone, I haven't been diagnosed with MS as yet, but wanted to run my symptoms past you, as some of them are bizzare. I know that no two people with MS, if this is MS, have the same set of symptoms or follow the same path, but I thought it might help me if anyone can say yeh or neh to the odd symptoms that I have been getting. Becuase I changed GP's in 1996, the GP wanted me to have tests for MS, despite being diagnosed with ME in 1993, but MS was ruled out. I was not able to work from 1993-2001, and then I undertook a degree and diploma at Soton Uni. (Looking back, I don't know how I got through). Any way, I started work in 2004 and have just had to give up work again(March) after experiencing more symptoms and terrible problems with vertigo. Adding to the the difficulties in gaining a diagnoses, I have just been diagnosed with Meniere's disease(MD), cervical spinal spondylosis, foraminal stenosis and osteophytic disc bars touching the theca (outer layer of the spinal cord). GP does not think that my problems/other symptoms are caused by my spine probs at this stage, hence lots of tests... Not that I am eager or greedy for another autoimmune disease you understand, but even if I did have ME, together with MD, it doesn't explain the odd symptoms. (Some spinal probs can cause numbness in dermatones, but what about tongue and palate - any thoughts). Last year(April) chest infection (I think it was pneumonia, on a remote island in Scotland - bitten by tick, but Lymmes ruled out and other's in the holiday cottage were also ill) and pleurisy, then recurrent problems with vertigo/balance/dizziness and intermittent exhaustion. March this year, temporary blindness, after gradually worsening blurred vision, slurred speech and not able to find the right words. For the next 3 weeks, I had spasticity and stiffness in my right leg, arm and hand, gripping/burning pain in my lower limbs from the knees down and swelling patches at the back of my knees in trying to walk or stand and my legs felt really heavy and began to give out, tremor in my right hand and sometimes my whole body would jerk forward. I also had a bad reaction after having a hot bath (heavy limbed, exhausted, nausea) and if I got hot whilst walking, my legs would stiffen up, making it very difficult to walk. I saw flashing lights(not flying saucers) when trying to look at something and also a very strange feeling in my spine, like someone was peeling the spine away(not painful, but very strange!). Pins and needles/numbness in my right arm, hand and leg, together with numbness/pins and needles in my face and lips. Since then, the walking/standing has got worse and the pains in my legs take much longer to go if I have been trying to stand/walk. I only have to be stood up for a few minutes some days and I'm in agony. I had numbness in the right side of my palate and then more recently, the tip of my tongue went numb. Electric shock sensations when bending my neck, either going into my arm, down my spine ending at the buttocks or down into my feet. (I get back/neck pain/sciatica and a lot of vertigo/balance/dizziness problems probably due to MD and spinal probs, but I know that heat can affect MS symptoms, which makes me think that I might have MS). Most recently, I got really hot(not as in saucy hot), but temperature and developed really bad eye pain in my left eye. I then developed nausea and the centre of my vision became blurred. My eyes really hurt on moving them and I also had a feeling that my eyes were wobbling from side-side when moving my eyes up and down. They seemed to deviate either off to the left or the right, instead of up and down. I had the blurred vision the next day and decided to visit a&e. Whilst waiting to be seen, I had a vertigo attack, so couldn't move. Any way, doc said that I had an occular occlusion and thought it was either due to the neuro problems that I had been getting or a migraine. Docs said that I had no swelling? Recetly diagnosed with nystagmus when having balance tests (but only in my right eye) but when I asked my partner to look at my eyes after my visit to a&e, he said that both eyes were still wobbling side to side when I looked up/down. I do have a history of migraine, but have never had aura/weired sensations. I have also been getting intermittent wrist pain and knee pain(but this could be due to spondylosis in other parts of my body?) I am generally quite a positve/happy person, but have felt quite fed-up of late, so any thoughts would be much appreciated. Sorry for the length of my intro, but as you can see, lots has been happening! PS, neuro thinks symptoms are due to ME and MD. Had brain and spinal MRI, but no mention of demylination, but I have seen something in thoracic region; (looks like diffuse abnormalities, but could equally be due to me moving/breathing) which has not been explained. Strangely enough, this is where I get most of my pain, especially on standing. Neg for B12, Lymmes, TIA, but going to ask for LP, to rule out Lupus and also going to ask for tests to rule out Devics, Hughes Syndome. Oh, almost forgot to add, although I'm on seretide for asthma, I get a really tight chest on occasions that isn't relieved by my meds. Another thing, I had epilepsy - tonic clonic and altered sensations in 1996 (on Carbamazepine) and then lost the hearing in my left ear in 2004 and had drooping left eye lid and unequal pupils.   Just remembered more symptoms, I suddenley find myself startled for no reason; this has happened quite a few times and sometimes my legs momentarilly cease to work, which feels as though they are paralysed, but I'm still standing? This lasts for about 5 seconds. I have had urinary incontinence (last year, just once) and have started to need the toilet a lot more, especially at night, last night, I was up 5 times; which is something I experienced a number of years ago. I have sudden urges to go to the toilet now and cannot ignore them.   Becuase I keep remebering new sysmptoms, I will add to the list as and when they occur.   A friend of mine had a lovely saying, chin up chicken, which is something that I have adopted since. Regards Mimi

• Completed DLA form

Hello All,   I have spent much of this week-end completely my DLA form. I was warned it was like War and Peace, and it was......although more war than peace I think !   I did it on several sessions, but, found it quite distressing to actually think about every task and write it down. Made me feel quite useless and near 90 years old.   My partner helped me, and we ventured out to test my walking speed ! Well that made me feel much better, getting over-taken on the sidewalk by grey haird old ladies who were carrying shopping bags !. Got home worked out the speed, and was even more dimayed to find that I fitted into the 'Very Slow' box. It's all very depressing.   I've posted the damned thing today. Postal strike looming, so I forked out a fiver to have it 'Next day delivery and signed for' I hope they don't lose it, I don't think I could face filling it in again !   I'd heard that it can take months to get a reply/decision from them.....and many are rejected..... Rejected ?!?!? So fingers crossed.   Hope you are all as well as can be expected, even if it is a dull old day   Scully x

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.